Gen 1 Fix **WHERE IS IT**

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I was referring to reply #24 earlier. May 2018 one better have all the information and available choices to make an informed decision - my question is about when we will know more about what our options look like.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
"it happens when it happens"

The "expected" schedule involved VW completing their submission 27 January 2017 and EPA and CARB responding within 45 days. Both 45 calendar days and 45 business days have now passed, so someone is officially late based on the "expected" schedule. But that was only an "expected" schedule. The drop-dead date is May 2018. Given that there is a court-ordered publication ban on the whole process, we will find out NOTHING until both parties agree that something should be publicised. That could be tomorrow, or it could be a year from now.

So ... expect to know nothing more than what we already know, until we either find out that the cars are getting fixed, or they're all getting flattened.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Wouldn't mind grabbing a manual trans 1st gen JSW for cheap. Rip the DPF, EGR and all that crap off, get it tuned, and throw a CP3 pump on it. It would be for "off road" use only of course. ;) Probably would tag 50mpg easily and run forever.

mz1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GTD Stage III / 2015 Touareg TDI LUX Stage II
Wouldn't mind grabbing a manual trans 1st gen JSW for cheap. Rip the DPF, EGR and all that crap off, get it tuned, and throw a CP3 pump on it. It would be for "off road" use only of course. ;) Probably would tag 50mpg easily and run forever.
Exactly what my plans are for a Gen 1 5 speed Golf or Jetta.....waiting like a crouching tiger.....but falling asleep.....who knows when and if they would be available.:confused:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Exactly what my plans are for a Gen 1 5 speed Golf or Jetta.....waiting like a crouching tiger.....but falling asleep.....who knows when and if they would be available.:confused:
You could try to pick up a used one right now but if the owner is paying attention they will want to sell for the buyback amount. I know that would be the only way I would give up the JSW today.

mz1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GTD Stage III / 2015 Touareg TDI LUX Stage II
You could try to pick up a used one right now but if the owner is paying attention they will want to sell for the buyback amount. I know that would be the only way I would give up the JSW today.
Exactly....right now they have a premium price to say the least.....My hope is that Gen 1 is approved then the market will be flooded with Gen 1 at affordable prices (Dreamland !!), I am personally waiting for such chance, I got wheels/suspension/DPF and Micron Filter kit waiting for it....I would buy me an upgraded Clutch and the 170 turbo kit and I would be set for Malone Stage 3.5.

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Just for the record, I deleted several posts involved in a side-track based on outdated information that was not relevant to the 4 cylinder models to begin with.

Keith63 this is your public warning. Check your sources. Then double-check.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I love driving my gen1 2013 Golf TDI 6MT. I installed VW Driver Gear springs a weak before dieselgate happened. Glad that I own it and hope the fix is reasonable.
Don't know if it's noticeable, but the gen1 has independent rear suspension...the claimed reason why there's no room for urea.
With a tune and DG springs, you'd be rivaling a GTI for sure...and killing the GTI on fuel economy.
...the last of the Made-in-Germany Golfs.