is there supposed to be a little movement in front mount?

damac

Veteran Member
TDI
none
i'm new to these parts, i thought i bought what i needed from a donor and new old stock vw hydro mounts with subframe as well like people say to do here to swap into my mk2 golf. so for the front mount it lines up with notch up top so it doesn't spin and is held on by a bolt. underneath sits rubber cup with metal shield on the bottom and is held on by another bolt. with these tight i don't think either the cup or swiss cheese piece fits in the frame very tight? with the other mounts bolts cracked i can shift the front around a bit up/down and side to side to where it looks like its sitting at an angle. i'm not sure if this is correct or if i tighten the other motor mounts it just gives the front a place to move around a bit every which way?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Is that a B4 subframe? I think that's what you're u need to use.

Btw, your pic is huge. Should scale it down.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
It would have to be a B3 VR6 subframe or a any B4 front subframe to work with the native swiss cheese front mount. There's a hydro version of the front mount but it was only used on the VR cars and it was only a disc piece bolted underneath and covered by a metal cap.

The top bolt only holds the bracket to the mounting center, it doesn't hold the mount in place, that's basically done by the weight of the engine even though there's a bolt underneath.

I don't really see a problem with what you have unless there's a clearance issue between the oil filter and the front subframe. It looks to me like it fits fine.

Steve

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
The top bolt only holds the bracket to the mounting center, it doesn't hold the mount in place, that's basically done by the weight of the engine even though there's a bolt underneath.
Don't take that to mean you can skip that lower bolt and buffer underneath by any means. If that bolt breaks, the engine twists toward the firewall every time you accelerate too hard. Ask me how I know... Lol.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Don't take that to mean you can skip that lower bolt and buffer underneath by any means. If that bolt breaks, the engine twists toward the firewall every time you accelerate too hard. Ask me how I know... Lol.
Lol, absolutely, you can't skip that lower buffer by any means, that's just asking for a problem. I have heard of others who forgot to install the lower bolt as well.

Steve