Driver Side Door Won't Lock

jvance

Veteran Member
TDI
Gave it back to VW
Using the keyfob, all doors except the driver side lock. Opening the driver door sets off the alarm. Using the key in lock, same thing. Inside the car using the lock button does not lock the driver side door. When the car hits 8 mph you can hear the driver door lock cycle - it doesn't lock.

This seemed to start right after I got the car tinted. Ideas?

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
jvance said:
Using the keyfob, all doors except the driver side lock. Opening the driver door sets off the alarm. Using the key in lock, same thing. Inside the car using the lock button does not lock the driver side door. When the car hits 8 mph you can hear the driver door lock cycle - it doesn't lock.

This seemed to start right after I got the car tinted. Ideas?
Whoever tinted you car, failed to hook the locking mechanism back up or broke it.

jvance

Veteran Member
TDI
Gave it back to VW
Thanks Airwolf. I wasn't sure whether the tinter would have pulled the panel. I called him up and he said to bring it by and he'd see if he'd hooked the lock mechanism back up properly.

If this were my old '90 4-runner or even my Outback which have actual mechanical lock levers, It would have been obvious what was wrong and I would have pulled that panel myself. Since the Jetta does this all singing all dancing stuff to keep you from locking the key in the car and doesn't have a push-pull lock lever, I thought maybe a sensor had gone bad, or maybe there was a seat sensor that the 400 lb tinter dude crushed :)

Last edited:
TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
It's also entirely possible the door lock module has gone kerflooie. There have been more than a couple reports of this happening in the A5s now. I just had one on my '06 Jetta replaced by the dealer under warranty and it was the same type of failure seen in the A4s which is kinda disappointing. I was hoping VW got this fault taken care of back in '03 :rolleyes: On mine the interior lights would not come on when opening the drivers door.

jvance

Veteran Member
TDI
Gave it back to VW
The tint dude forgot to set the door lock cable housing into the housing stop and snap the retainer into place. He also dropped one of the T-30 bolts inside the door and didn't bother to retrieve it. At least the tint looks good.

megavites

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI
jvance said:
The tint dude forgot to set the door lock cable housing into the housing stop and snap the retainer into place. He also dropped one of the T-30 bolts inside the door and didn't bother to retrieve it. At least the tint looks good.
jvance,
what did the tinting run on the Sportwagen?

jvance

Veteran Member
TDI
Gave it back to VW
megavites said:
jvance,
what did the tinting run on the Sportwagen?
$290 + tax for Formula One Pinnacle 35. This is a ceramic tint, so it's more expensive. I wanted a lot of heat rejection but not too dark. The dealer quoted me $120 for basic 3M Carbon.

schmugo

TDI
09' JSW
JVance,

So you went with tintmasters then? Were they running any specials/deals. I've talked to you about this before, and it did not seem there was anyone else in ABQ that did this type of work with the films you were looking at. Did you have the roof done also (I did not read the entire post so hopefully this was not addressed, or I'll feel like a MO-RON)

RRochester

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
All on its own, my driver's side lock had been intermittent for the last year or so (as well as some other electrical features). Then the last 3 days it wouldn't lock at all with the remote nor with the automatic lock that engages after you start driving. I sprayed the crevice around the lock plunger with some teflon spray, then worked it several times with the key. It's now operating as designed. We'll see how long that lasts.

I love the powertrain in this car and of course the mileage, but some of the features in some systems have been sketchy.