Jetta Mk4 OEM HID Manual Leveling comprehensive DIY

Nitrowolf

Veteran Member
TDI
White 2003 Jetta TDI
I've put together a DIY for installing the manual leveling of the '03+ OEM HIDs.After going over every concievable thread on VW Vortex & TDI Club and a few other places, the current DIY and FAQs wern't nearly comprehensive enough to get the job done without taking a lot of initiative.
So I put my own together as I went along.

Here it is:

http://www.communityhosting.net/Jetta/oemhid/oemhid.html

Please let me know what you think and what should be changed or added.

Thanks!

BlakGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 mk4 golf
ive been looking for oem hid but cant find them anywhere for a good price for a golf. where did u get ur set?

Nitrowolf

Veteran Member
TDI
White 2003 Jetta TDI
From the classifieds section of VW Vortex. They will run you anywhere from $800 - $1000.

BlakGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 mk4 golf
well thats a very good price, cuz at this point im thinking of getting some fk lights that are 300$ us plus a other 350 canadian for the drop in hid kit. im not to far from the oem price as u can see. but i always see the oem ones for 1200us plus i need the wiring harness and stuff so thats whats keeping me away from a oem set. ill keep hunting on the tex i guess

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
nitro... thanks for the write up; it will definitely help when my install comes around, hopefully over Christmas/New Years. As you mention yourself, it may be useful to include wiring diagrams as well as the pictures.

You may also want to include a comment on the initial aiming - most seem to leave themselves one "tick" on the leveller to aim them higher, and then two (or is it three?) "ticks" to aim them lower (which is really the intent of the levelling mechanism, to compensate for loads in the rear of the car).

Uisge

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS Black
fitzski said:
My MkIV Jetta HIDs are in the mail :)

fitzski you dog...I have got to see those. Let me know when you receive them.

Last edited:

Nitrowolf

Veteran Member
TDI
White 2003 Jetta TDI
I will look at adding some wiring diagrams. I didn't find too any "official" ones, and the ones I did find wern't so helpful really. Couldn't hurt to add them at the end, though.

As far as the aiming goes, I didn't aim mine because I was afraid to even put screwdriver to the plastic aiming screws from all the horror stories I heard about them breaking.

I would like to aim my lights up just a bit on the - ... but really, that's just to blind people that piss me off for not moving over into the right lane when I want to pass, and not for any practical purpose beyond that, since they seem to be set pretty high already at that setting.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
Uisge said:
fitzski you dog...I have got to see those. Let me know when you receive them.
You bet, Whiskey! I am SOOOOOO excited!!!