Brake bleed sequence?

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
What is the brake bleed sequence on a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI?

I will be using the MitiVac pressurized brake line bleeding system.

Thanks for any helpful information!

INSW20

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6MT
Typically you want to do farthest from master cylinder first, then work your way closer. So RR, LR, RF, LF.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
While that may be typical, Bentley says exactly the opposite of that: start closest to master cylinder and work your way to furthest: LF, RF, LR, RR.

Last edited:

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I thought that was peculiar as I thumbed through that section of the Bentley.

Anyone have an explanation as to why the manual deviates from standard practice?

INSW20

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6MT
Huh, definitely odd. I've always bled farthest-to-nearest. Including just recently when I did calipers on my brother's 2011 Golf TDI. Pedal firmed up just fine. I guess next time I'll try it their way.

Honestly probably doesn't make any difference as long as you're thorough and make sure 1) you don't forget a corner 2) you get all the old fluid out and 3) you get all the air out.

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
While that may be typical, Bentley says exactly the opposite of that: start closest to master cylinder and work your way to furthest: LF, RF, LR, RR.
Thank you!

I wanted to make sure what the correct sequence was. A friend of mine who knows a lot about car mechanics suggested I ask before assuming.

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
I just recently bought a MityVac pressurized brake bleeding kit (MV6840). Is there any downside of using this on the 2013 VW Jetta TDI MkVI?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've used it many times on my Mk4, 5, 7 vehicles without issue; can't imagine how/why a Mk6 would be any different. :D

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I just recently bought a MityVac pressurized brake bleeding kit (MV6840). Is there any downside of using this on the 2013 VW Jetta TDI MkVI?
Just be sure to limit the pressure to 20 psi max, I believe most bleed valves are set for 15-18 psi.

FlatLander72

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
If you opened the system upstream of the ABS motor, make sure you do the pre-bleeding also. Especially the VAG-COM system portion. I ignored it and it cost me a set of pads and a rotor.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The thing with the VCDS procedure, though, is that it just keeps going on forever: PRESS AND HOLD....Open FR, FL bleed screws....pump pedal 10x...close bleed screws...PRESS AND HOLD....and the cycle continues.

Is there ever a "DONE" confirmation on that? I've moved literally litres and litres of fluid through there and never reached "DONE".

FlatLander72

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
The thing with the VCDS procedure, though, is that it just keeps going on forever: PRESS AND HOLD....Open FR, FL bleed screws....pump pedal 10x...close bleed screws...PRESS AND HOLD....and the cycle continues.

Is there ever a "DONE" confirmation on that? I've moved literally litres and litres of fluid through there and never reached "DONE".
Mine finished fine. I think it is easy to hit the sequence start again. Maybe you are stuck in a loop.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What does "finished" look like? Or maybe better stated, how many rounds of "press/hold --> open --> pump/bleed --> close" do you have to do? One? Two? Six?

Do you get a "complete" button or something like that? I've done this at least ten times, and every time, I have to arbitrarily decide when to stop the cycle because I never get an indication that the process is officially "done".

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Ill guesstimate and say it took an hour. It was super long and it worked. I had air in the system from a botched fluid change job.
I dont remeber what it said as far as done but i remeber finally geting the confirmation that it was complete. Follow it to a t.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My query was more around "do you remember how many cycles of "press/hold --> open --> pump/bleed --> close" did you have to do"?