www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old September 11th, 2018, 08:50   #91
flargabarg
Veteran Member

I'm totally satisfied with it. I ended up making money on my Touareg, even after counting fuel and maintenance. It appears to be helping to find other emissions cheats. And once Volkswagen gets through cleaning house from the cheating it seems they are likely to be a more ethical company.
flargabarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 13:06   #92
16volt

Fuel Economy: 32

Maybe the best car I ever bought, My car has never broken down even once in 4 years, maybe I can use the extra money for a Malone Stage 2 tune, since mine was neutered after the emissions fix.

So I bought my VW Golf TDI in 2014 for
$13,000
-1000 Visa and $500 parts
-5100 Emissions fix.
----------
$6900

-1000 Arizona lawsuit
---------
$5900
16volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2018, 06:49   #93
BKmetz
Administrator, Member #10

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG

I am happy I was able to sell my 2014 Passat SE 6MT with 109k miles and get a 2015 Passat SE 6MT with 28k miles and a great extended warranty. I'm happy I came out ahead by several thousand dollars when everything was all said and done. I'm also happy I have the last of the manual transmission Passats.

I'm not happy about dieselgate. I'm not happy about how VW destroyed its own market for these great cars. I'm not happy about the silliness of the whole scandal as it could have easily been avoided. I'm not happy about the fact that one super container ship from China to the port of Long Beach, CA releases more NOX than all the dieselgate cars combined over their whole lifetime if they would have been allowed to stay on the road while returning a fleet average of 45 mpg. Let that last bit if trivia sink in.

If ANYONE receives a PM/email from a TDIClub member shilling anything and they are NOT a registered vendor, please forward the PM/emails to me. To report spam, trolling, or any problem post, click the report post icon. (The icon in the actual problem post, not the one in my sig. The idiots know who they are... )
BKmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2018, 11:41   #94
piotrsko
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46 city/56 hwy so far wonder what the Golf gets

Quote:
Originally Posted by flargabarg View Post
And once Volkswagen gets through cleaning house from the cheating it seems they are likely to be a more ethical company.
Hah! Until they stop chasing every profit pefnig they won't change
piotrsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2018, 11:58   #95
Lex Tdi
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmetz View Post
I'm not happy about the fact that one super container ship from China to the port of Long Beach, CA releases more NOX than all the dieselgate cars combined over their whole lifetime if they would have been allowed to stay on the road while returning a fleet average of 45 mpg. Let that last bit if trivia sink in.

Man that's an excellent comparison and when you can provide a picture of how many of those container ships are docked in port at any time of day it really puts things into perspective.

I too believe this is the best possible deal i have ever made on a car, money, extended warranty, trouble free car, it does simply suck that diesels will be never be trusted (at least for a long while) here in the US.
Thanks to Paramedick (Bruce) for being my local Guru for over a decade!
Lex Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2018, 14:57   #96
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I am happy I got one of the stop sale cars with the warranty. I am also happy this whole fiasco is about to wind down finally.
Old September 13th, 2018, 23:38   #97
flargabarg
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Tdi View Post
Man that's an excellent comparison and when you can provide a picture of how many of those container ships are docked in port at any time of day it really puts things into perspective.
I too believe this is the best possible deal i have ever made on a car, money, extended warranty, trouble free car, it does simply suck that diesels will be never be trusted (at least for a long while) here in the US.
This is part of why many ports require cleaner fuel when the ships are at port or nearby. NOx is a locally harmful pollutant rather than a globally harmful one, for the most part. So this comparison is kind of meaningless. Low NOx is about making cities less smoggy and dangerous.
Old September 14th, 2018, 09:43   #98
troms

Default Happy

2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S MT

Purchased new 30 days before scandal announcement.
I have one of the best <$30k cars ever made. I got 1/3 of the total price refunded. Now I have 50,000 miles on the car, and I would still choose it over any other. It is cleaner and less trouble for the environment than most vehicles on the road, including most hybrids. Iím pretty happy with it.
troms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 10:01   #99
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flargabarg View Post
This is part of why many ports require cleaner fuel when the ships are at port or nearby. NOx is a locally harmful pollutant rather than a globally harmful one, for the most part. So this comparison is kind of meaningless. Low NOx is about making cities less smoggy and dangerous.

Sure, so what about those owners that removed federal mandated emissions before the first oil change? the number of straight pipe 3/4ton "trophy trucks" i see in a week is mind boggling, I'm sure the emissions from those surly out weigh even an unfixed TDI 1000 to 1.

What about the entire concept of "Gliders"? Market for pre 2007 chassis is very very strong.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 10:02   #100
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEngland View Post
The scandal worked out great for me. I love my Passat but it's the wrong car for me for two reasons. It can't get up my steep snowy driveway in winter unless I go nuts with salt and sand which I've never had to do before and I can't get large boxes in the trunk. My turn-in is in a couple weeks. The VW has been parked for two months to get me into the maximum low miles bonus. There is one thing I regret. I now stop at the gas station every Friday on the way home. It used to be the only on the first of the month (almost).

What'd you have before the Passat? While the TCS does cut in pretty quick, the floast of 18" tires doesn't help in the snow either. Either way I'm actually impressed how our 15 passat handles in the snow (with proper snow tires), even with our steep driveway as well. I will admit the trunk "roof" is very very shallow, only 18-20" or so.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2018, 11:59   #101
flargabarg
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Sure, so what about those owners that removed federal mandated emissions before the first oil change? the number of straight pipe 3/4ton "trophy trucks" i see in a week is mind boggling, I'm sure the emissions from those surly out weigh even an unfixed TDI 1000 to 1.
What about the entire concept of "Gliders"? Market for pre 2007 chassis is very very strong.
Somebody always has to be the worst emitter. This does not stop us from doing the work to be better. This is somewhere where a difference can be made. There aren't federal police out fining people for those other violations, and people would probably be unhappy if there were.
Old September 17th, 2018, 09:01   #102
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Some places will ticket for rolling coal.
Old September 17th, 2018, 13:23   #103
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
Some places will ticket for rolling coal.
NJ for one.
https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/new...ove_costl.html
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2018, 08:05   #104
NAZ TDI
Veteran Member

All this political nonsense worked out quite well for me. I was waiting for a fix to come out for my 2011 TDI Jetta when I heard that a fix was approved for the 2015's. I went to the local dealer and found a 2015 black Jetta TDI almost identical to my 2011. Since my wife wanted to keep black, I traded on the spot. The buyback on the 2011 was within a few hundred dollars of the discounted 2015 TDI. Add in the money from Bosch and the initial $1,000 "goodwill" money, and all I had to pay was sales tax to get a 4 year newer car with 95,000 fewer miles, a better engine, and a super warranty. Plus I'm now getting another $1,000 that the state of Arizona extorted from VW.
I love the TDI engine! By the way, it IS a clean Diesel, I don't care a whit about some meaningless numbers on a piece of official-looking paper! It does not smoke nor does it have any Diesel stink!

Last edited by NAZ TDI; September 21st, 2018 at 16:47. Reason: corrected grammar
NAZ TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 20:32   #105
rac
Veteran Member

Iím happy in the end. I drove my 2009 JSW for almost 8 years and 170k
miles before getting 1/2 back what I paid for it new. Will never see anything like that again!
The lawsuits and penalties for VW were completely out of proportion to the environmental damage caused. Then again, rarely has a corporation been caught in such an elaborate and bold fraud.
I liked the car, but reliability was poor, and repairs were expensive. Goodbye VAG. Too bad because some of the Audi offerings are super cool.
rac is offline   Reply With Quote