Trading for TDI

drakeMK5

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
So I found someone with an 01 Golf 260k stock and clean, fresh t belt and brakes with receipts willing to trade for my 2000 CRV with 199K, it needs nothing and is very clean. I think this is a fair trade on both ends but would like some second opinions as well as what I should be looking for when I go to inspect it

bmali98

Veteran Member
TDI
O4 golf pd auto
Sounds like a good deal for you and him if a Honda is what he wants. If it's automatic definitely make sure it's good. Test drive it. Listen for wheel bearings, clunks, ****ty Trans shifts etc. Ask if the intake has been cleaned and/or check it. Scan it to see that all the self checks have passed. If they are incomplete the engine light was cleared recently and may come back on soon. Test every button in the car. Windows work, with them half down try pulling them up by hand. If it goes crooked, a clip is broke. Bring a jack and shake everything. This list can keep going. Check especially the hatch and front fenders for corrosion. Parking brake function. Centre arm rest isn't broken. Mirrors aren't rotten and will fold ( if they don't fold for you they will likely break off soon). Sunroof works properly, every time. Correct coolant used? Fresh fuel filter. Belly pan? ( a sign if it's cared for...) glove box latch isn't broken. All the headrests. Spare tire and all the kit there. Rear axle bushings wear. rear lower control arm bushings wear. If it has the cup holder over the radio, buy it. Flaky aluminum rims. All the lights work, hvac light, panel dimmer.

Last edited:

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Mechanical conditions aside, does the vw do something the honda doesn't? Are you looking for
increased fuel economy and decreased ground clearance, traction and storage capacity? You already have one fuel sipper do you need two? Maybe you and your spouse both have long commutes? Maybe you're just tired of the CRV. It sounds like a fair deal if it fits your needs.

drakeMK5

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Thanks for the responses, he owner claims the car was certified 3 months ago but not sure if he has proof but I will ask and go over the above mentioned things. I bought the crv specifically for winter because its awd, reliable and has lots of storage. I would like to keep it around as next winter I will run into the same issue of not wanting to drive diesel in the winter but I plan to sell my 06 in hopes to have one reliable commuter

drakeMK5

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Its a 5 speed manual luckily and to be honest ive yet too ask why hes selling it haha. I actually offered him a trade when it was up for sale only and he considered after not being able to find a buyer at his price. Which I think is surprising because he is asking 2900$

Dbs

TDI
1999.5 Jetta sedan
I live in Anchorage, AK and we usually don't got enough snow to really need 4wd but for 2-4 days per year so have little need for a crv. However if you get a lot of snow I see why the crv might be great in the winter. Crv has excellent reliability so to have a very low cost 4wd with good reliabilty seems like a perfect combination. Why not keep the 2 vehicles you have. Getting rid of your crv seems like a major loss. Getting rid of your 2006 if it has served you well in favor of a high mileage 2001 seems questionable. Even if you check out the 2001 thoroughly there is still substantial risk in buying an older high mileage Jetta. I would keep what you have. Seems like a great low cost reliable combo.

innocentiturbo

TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI, 2003 Golf TDI with 59,000km!!!
If you have VCDS bring it along and plug in and see what's going on with it....biggest thing i guess is not to rush through it, I just picked up another one and I took an hour and a half going through it before we shook on the deal...is the car near you by chance?

drakeMK5

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
If you have VCDS bring it along and plug in and see what's going on with it....biggest thing i guess is not to rush through it, I just picked up another one and I took an hour and a half going through it before we shook on the deal...is the car near you by chance?
The car is about and hour away and I have plans to take a look at it this weekend. I dont have a vcds unfortunately but I may be able to get a hold of a regular scanner.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Personally, if you know the history of the Honda and it doesn't need anything major in the foreseeable future, I would keep it. You don't know the whole story on the TDI and it's always a bit of a shot in the dark with a used vehicle. Stuff like heater core, blend door, prior "events", etc can get expensive soon after ownership even though everything seems fine now. Fuel costs are currently down (even in Canada-some anyways) and may stay that way for a while. I'm driving a 1.8 wagon and parking the TDI during winter and enjoying the quicker warm ups during the cold weather.