Phase 2 visual confirmation on 2015 GSW?

Isaac-1

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
I have what I hope is a simple question, is there an easy way to visually confirm that Phase 2 of the recall has been completed on a 2015 Golf Sportwagen?

I bought a CPO 2015 GSW over the weekend, got it home and found the sticker under the hood shows partial emissions. I have been on the phone with the dealership off and on all day, just spoke to the service department and they claim the full recall was done, and someone must have just not put the sticker under the hood, I want to confirm if this is true, as the date on the "partial" sticker is 7 days ago.

thanks

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
I was under the impression that Phase 2 is something they only perform after the vehicle has clocked 70,000 miles, not before. Are you past that point?

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
On your hood near a hinge are two stickers. Look closely at the bottom sticker. This is a Phase-1 sticker. It says 'Proof of Partial Completion.' Below that is a tiny box that is checked and says 'Software Update.'

Phase-2 is hardware (new catalyst system) and a software update. There should be a new sticker stating that, if your car has had the Phase-2 update. My car is still under 70k miles so I'm still on Phase-1.

Drive more and worry less.

:)

Isaac-1

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
This is the point the sticker says partial complete, the dealer service department claims they did the full recall. I want to confirm they actually did.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I thought there was an A and B parts on the 2015's. It was 40k for the auto and 70k for the manual, for part A, then some undetermined future date for part B for the emissions hardware change. Part A was just a sensor and pipe and software.

Isaac-1

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
It is, but from what I have read online is that any CPO cars sold after March were supposed to get the fix, and everyone else should be receiving a letter by the end of this month for the part B fix.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
So no matter what the dealer says, it can't be complete, as part b isn't even available yet. It will have part A completed as that is required for resale. It may have part 2A done but there is no way part 2b could be done yet. If you get the repair records and see what parts were installed for part 2(?), if it just shows sensor and programming, then that is where you are at. If there is a dpf and such listed them maybe they did part 2b prematurely, but I doubt it as they can't get paid without VW's approval.

Isaac-1

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Hence my confusion and wanting to know if these is some easy to spot visual clue of what work has been done, other than the stickers which says partial.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
For part 2A there will be a new sensor and pipe to accommodate it, in the exhaust path. That would be the only way to tell visually. I would go to VW and insist on the service records dating back to the buyback/part 1, first fix. There should be no previous owner issues as VW bought it back and should be the listed owner. Any dealer should be able to provide this but the actual servicing dealer should do it.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
They must be doing things different in the US of A. I had both phase 1 and 2 done and I had under 50,000km about 30,000 miles. Phase 2 last year mid summer.

Isaac-1

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
I am just posting back with an update on this saga, VW Customer Care updated me by email this morning saying my ownership data had just flowed through to their system, and that according to it the rear spring recall as well as Gen 3 Phase 2 A&B had been completed, this of course leaves the fact that I don't have the updated emissions certification sticker, or the completed recall sticker under the hood, only the "partial completion" sticker dated last Monday. So it remains obvious someone screwed up, though exactly what that screw up is remains unknown. On the one hand it may be simply not adding the correct stickers, on the other it may be entering into the computer work that was not done. I just don't know.

p.s. I just got off a chat session with Customer Care, they are looking into this matter and will be following up with me by email within 24 hours

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Get your car on a lift and look. Friendly garage in your area? The servicing dealer should have paper work showing what was installed parts wise. No dpf etc, no part 2B done yet. I would assume you haven't gotten part 2B done yet. If they can't document it it hasn't been done, even if it has. Legally they are required to do the change and document it and sticker it. If they can't prove that force them to redo everything.

Zawurah

Veteran Member
TDI
if they did not properly fix it, does that mean they could be forced to buyback the vehicle?

I would LOVE for them to take my cars back. Had I know the fix would be so crummy I would have sold the car back instead of having them "fix" it.

Isaac-1

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
I spoke to the service manager at the local VW dealership today, and according to him only phase a has been done, and all the other people that told me phase b was complete (including the VW customer cares, dealership salesman, and service desk personnel) were wrong.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
if they did not properly fix it, does that mean they could be forced to buyback the vehicle?

I would LOVE for them to take my cars back. Had I know the fix would be so crummy I would have sold the car back instead of having them "fix" it.
They wouldn't take your cars back unless within 18 months/18k miles(reoffer period) after the emission fix, your car is out of service for no less than a total of 30 days for the same warrantable problem, or they can't fix the same warrantable problem after trying to fix it for 4 times. Language is language, rule is rule.

I was thinking what if they can't fix a warrantable failure out of the preoffer period and your car is totally dead(hope that will never happen of course). At that point they are not obliged to take your car back. It's up to them what to do. Buy back? Possible. But they can choose to give you nothing.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
As BKmetz stated, there should be a yellow sticker applied as part of the fix for EPA reasons:

And if the dealer submitted their paperwork correctly, it should also show as completed on VW’s website.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW - DG Buyback
Are you relying on Carfax for open recalls?
VW diesel site shows your emissions repair is only partially completed.
Have you looked there?
https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/
3VWCA7AU3FM501598
Vehicle (VIN) Included in Settlement: YES
Modification Approved by EPA and CARB: YES
Modification Completed for this Vehicle (VIN): PARTIAL
Vehicle has Extended Emissions Warranty: PENDING

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Once again, the whole point of this thread is that the new EMISSIONS STICKER is NOT there.
Then as also stated, check here: https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/

What more do you want? The only other option is to go to your dealer and have them run your VIN in the warranty database.

Now, considering you just bought the car, it’s very possible that the websites haven’t updated yet if they did the recall shortly before you bought it. Give it a week or two.

Last edited:

erickim33

TDI
2015 Audi A3 8P & 8V & VW Passat SEL & Jetta BEW
When did you recieve your notification via mail? And how long did the Dealership take to finish the Phase 2 Fix?

Thanks in advance.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium

The sticker in the picture above (sticker on lower right) is that for a 2015 Gen III 2.0L TDI

The sticker in the picture above is what I got when I received Phase 2A on a 2015 Gen III 2.0L TDI Emissions fix.

The picture above (sticker on the far right) is that received when a 2015 Gen III gets both Phase 2A & Phase 2B done at the same time.

I haven't seen a sticker yet for a vehicle that has Phase 1 done, followed by Phase 2A only, and then later having Phase 2B done.