High measured soot in DPF after phase 2 "replacement"

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
My situation seems strange. The other day my wife was driving the GSW and noticed the DPF dash light came on along with a warning in the MFD. A regen was starting in our driveway so I asked her to drive it some more. The warnings went away after a short drive in town. It didn't store a code.

I have the DPF measurements from my 2013 Touareg

and then the one from my 2015 GSW

Is the GSW's high measured soot load due to the dealership not really replacing the DPF a few months ago during phase 2 fix or a sensor malfunction or some other reason?

Last edited:

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
The soot should all be burnt off during each regen. The soot doesn't hang around. Ash does, however, and there's no way a brand new DPF can be clogged with ash. Ash is all the crap that is left behind from regens/soot oxidation, like metallic compounds from corrosion/engine products, lubricants, and traces in diesel.

Are you noticing more frequent regens? DPFs full of ash are less efficient in burning off soot due to lowered storage capacity, reducing the intervals between regens. Are you noticing a slight decrease in mpg? Increased backpressure and exhaust flow restriction from a buildup of ash in the DPF require greater fuel consumption to operate the vehicle.

If you're not, then it's probably (I can't know for sure) a sensor issue.

Last edited: