Got the "fix" friday, got P0401 code today :)

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2-door 6MT (BB - 4/18)

well after almost 2 weeks at the stealership, i finally got the car back from them replacing the DPF , EGR, and EGR motor under the new warrenty :)
wonder if you plan to do after market mods again and stick it to VW when you get CEL!

skycrane

TDI
'12 Audi A3, 96 E300, 87 300SDL
As soon as the new warrenty is done, im deleting all the crap back out, and going to a CR170 with a Stage 3

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
Got my car back today after new dpf and egr filter. Drive off the lot and hear a hissing sound from around tge exhaust flap. Had no time as I had to drive to my daughters school( 240 mile round trip) . Put it in the wind on the highway and drove on. Stopped at her school and when I got back in light came on and car seems to be in permanent regent mode. Have appointment in am but may check clamps at exhaust flap and codes. Didnt have my scanner. VW techs are idiot

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
clamps should be easy to readjust if you have ramps.

newbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
no one knows when they will have a solution to the failed DSG software update.

if you have a DSG, the warranty is 48,000 miles after the fix, not 54k.
Now it's getting closer to a potential $1/mile for a DPF if I pay a dealer for repairs.

As I wrote
I've got a dirty tailpipe on my '09 at about 70K miles.
Which brings up the questions -
When will the DSG update be fixed?
What is the likelihood a new DPF will crack before:
that runs out?
I have not searched on here much for the average life of a DPF and I think my 70K is a bit low, but between the timing belt, dpf, and the hpfp I'm beginning to think turn in :( The timing belt I had been planning on, but not the others.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The life of a DPF after the emissions fix hasn't really been tested out.

For the '15s they've clearly stated they don't expect DPF/SCR to last the full warranty period.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
For the '15s they've clearly stated they don't expect DPF/SCR to last the full warranty period.
That's not exactly true. They're proactively replacing some hardware during the warranty period. I haven't read anything that indicates whether they expect it to not last, or if the court mandated it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If your vehicle has accumulated fewer than
40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for
manual transmissions) at the time of your Phase 2 update, your car will
need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time,
before it reaches 150,000 miles.
What was that?

From the way I've read the warranty booklet, for phase 2 of the fix, they won't replace '15 components proactively unless it has more than 40K miles at the fix is performed, but they know they will be tossing parts on before the magic 167K warranty is up

When we bring our '15 in for phase 2 fix with about 12K on the clock, I don't expect them to do anything more than add that second O2 sensor, and more coding.

I could be wrong, and only time will tell and with consistency of VW I won't be packing away my crystal ball anytime soon

Last edited:

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Interesting on all the interpretations of this part.

I read it to say if your vehicle has less than the stated miles at the time of the Phase 2 update, it will get all the hardware previously mentioned, plus, prior to the vehicle reaching 150,000 miles, it will need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a 2nd time.

Someone could ask the class counsel to provide a clearer clarification of this point. I've sent the class counsel a question to get a clarification on another subject, but after 3+ weeks, I've not received a reply, so I'm thinking they won't respond, at least not to me.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Agreed but I reread the paragraph prior to that

https://www.vwdiesellookup.com/pdf/VWCourtSettlement_Emissions_Disclosure_Gen3_Final.pdf

Page 6

If your car exceeds 40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for manual transmissions) we will install updated emissions control system hardware - specifically a new Diesel Particulate Filter, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and Selective Catalytic Reduction Converter - that is needed to maintain emissions performance for the full useful life (150,000 miles) of your vehicle.
Why state if your car has over 40K you get new parts, if all phase 2 fix cars get new parts?

Time will tell.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Because the first part (for vehicles already above the mileage thresholds when the Phase 2 parts are installed) is saying the Phase 2 fix is done at that point - nothing further needed - it is sufficient for the full useful life of the vehicle, which is 150,000 miles.

The second part is saying the Phase 2 fix parts have a lifespan that, when installed on low mileage cars, will not get to the end of the full useful life of 150,000 miles. As such, another install of a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst is required before the vehicle reaches the end of its useful life of 150,000 miles.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So you're saying in the first part "If your car exceeds 40,000 miles" isn't needed?

I'll drop my "2015 phase 2 fix crusade" after this, and lets see who else has P401 and keep this thread on topic.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
No, I'm saying all the emissions fix parts associated with Phase 2 go on any vehicle brought in for the Phase 2 fix. Those vehicles exceeding the mileage thresholds stated at Phase 2 are done at that point, as they have parts that will get the vehicles to the end of their useful lives. Those vehicles below the mileage thresholds stated at Phase 2 need to be brought in a second time before the vehicle reaches the end of its useful life to have a new Diesel Oxidation Catalyst installed so these vehicles can also reach the end of their useful lives with emissions hardware still working properly (by design). It appears the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst expected useful life is 110,000 miles for DSG vehicles and 80,000 miles for manual vehicles. Whenever the first replacement Diesel Oxidation Catalyst is installed on Phase 2, if the vehicle mileage at Phase 2 plus the useful life of the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, when added together, is below 150,000 miles, a second Diesel Oxidation Catalyst is required to be installed so that this part is still functioning when the vehicle attains it useful life of 150,000 miles.

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta GL IDI, 2010 Jetta TDI (Sold)
Dropped mine off this morning for a new DPF under the warranty. They said it would be ready by the end of the day.

Dealer said it's crazy for them having to spend so much money on the car. I told him its better than having to go to jail like some of the VW execs.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
When posting pictures please try and post something that won't blow the screen size out. 800x600 works or a link to a bigger image if needed.

Jeffro420

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Readiness bits, and historical logs of a P401. Short of them ripping the DPF and performing a bench test, the best they have is looking for codes/soot as you stated.
But as more and more DPF are picked up by VW they may be more aggressive at these inspections.
Just an update for everyone's benefit. I have been driving on a P0401 error code for about 1.5 years. My understanding is that it is a cracked DPF, which normally WV would require me to fix before the did the emissions modification.

Last week I took my car in and had the EGR filter replaced, CEL codes cleared, and I cleaned soot from the tailpipe. Yesterday, I took my car in to a VW dealer for the emissions fix. Per the advice from my mechanic, about 1/2 mile out from the dealership I pulled over and used a rag to thoroughly wipe any new soot from inside the tailpipe.

All this seems to have worked! I just picked up my car today, emissions fixed, no CEL, and the dealer didn't say anything to me about the DPF or any P0401 codes.

When my CEL comes on in 6 months with the P0401 code again, I plan on taking it into the dealership to have them replace the DPF, per the new extended warranty. Hope this helps someone!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
another win! Best of luck

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
My 2012 JSW TDI got the fix at 83k miles early February, and just now had the DPF and EGR filter replaced under the extended warranty after throwing a P0401 check engine light at a bit over 84k miles, 1 1/2 months later. The service advisor said they are not seeing this a lot. Would be interesting to know what the overall statistics is on cracked DPFs after the emissions fix.

I'm pretty sure my car still had a clean tail pipe when I brought it in for the emissions modification. Now of course it's black, unless the dealer cleaned it.

Goatfish

TDI
2011 Jetta
I was having intermittent p0401 codes that i thought i would have to pay to repair before i took my car in for the fix. I started using Liquimoly dpf protector every other fill up and the codes eventually went away . I've put about 10k km since having my fix done and have been curious if the code will come back since i haven't been using the liquimoly because of the new warranty . My car does regens normally but i have soot in the tail pipe , which is indicative of a cracked dpf filter unless im wrong?

Last edited:

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
UPDATE: Cracked again (sooty tailpipe), but no codes yet, after 13,000 miles on the new DPF.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
dang, I'm late to another party.

I had a 2011 Jetta M6 with 167k miles when I was notified the fix was available. So I made the appointment, removed my Malone Stage2 tune, and drove it in. They sat on the car for 2 weeks before looking at it, all the time them paying for a rental car (POS Buick). While the dealership had it the CEL came on. They called me to tell me the CEL light came on pre-fix and VW would not let them do the fix until they resolved the CEL. The SA said his tech had been on the phone with VW for about a day and a half and they had decided that the EGR Cooler was plugged. So I told them to fix it.

SA said VWoA would not allow them to perform the fix until all CEL codes were resolved. They wanted $2k from me to replace the EGR cooler. I said no way. I'm not paying you $2k to fix an "emissions" related part while its in your dealership for a court ordered emissions fix. Plus, I looked through all my VW paperwork, no where in that paperwork did it say I needed to deliver a "no CEL" car for the fix to be warranted.

So we went back and fourth for the next couple days, all the time while I have this rental car VW is paying for :D , the SA Lead calling VWoA customer care to have them cover the EGR cooler, to which they continually refused. Closest I got to getting the EGR cooler fixed by VW is they agreed to pay the labor if I bought the $900 part at dealer cost. I still refused and asked what my buyback offer was. I liked the car, enjoyed driving the car, but wasn't willing to put even $1k into it so they could "fix" it again.

After a month of this back and forth on the fix and me having a couple different rental cars all covered by VW, the buyback for a 170k mile 2011 Jetta was $13,750 or so. Before having "Gloria" reset my VWDieselgate account back to step 3, I called the SA Lead one more time to explain there was a $200 difference in VWs favor if they just performed the fix on the car rather than buy it back. I liked the car so much, even at 170k miles, I was willing to eat the $200 to have them fix it and keep the car. He said VWoA has offered all they will (which was to cover the labor) and they would not budge any more. So they bought it back.

Reading through this thread I have to wonder how many others actually have a plugged EGR cooler and not a bad DPF or EGR Filter. I had actually swapped my EGR filter and EGR valve with my wife's car (2011 JSW TDI/DSG - 90k miles) trying to get rid of the code before taking it in. I did blow through both EGR Filters during the swap, neither one was more restrictive than the other. I also looked into the DPF being "full" and requiring a cleaning after 165k miles. It was going to be a cool $500-$600 for the cleaning 3rd party. I hadn't even thought of swapping the EGR cooler strapped to the back of the engine until the VW tech said that was "more than likely" the issue.

Props to Malone for tuning those sensors out. The car ran great on the stage2 tune even with the stock map errors. Once I went back to the stock map when I took it in for the buyback it definitely felt sluggish, but again that was after I drank the Stage2 Kool-Aid of the tune.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
For soot to get to the tailpipe, it has to make it through the DPF. A clogged low pressure EGR cooler can be the result of a cracked DPF, but it can't cause it. I actually don't see how any particulate could get to the EGR cooler to clog it unless the DPF is defective.

Is there a tune that allows disabling the low pressure EGR while leaving the DPF and the high pressure EGR path intact? That would make the car less vulnerable to DPF cracks.

Last edited:

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
For soot to get to the tailpipe, it has to make it through the DPF. A clogged low pressure EGR cooler can be the result of a cracked DPF, but it can't cause it. I actually don't see how any particulate could get to the EGR cooler to clog it unless the DPF is defective.

Is there a tune that allows disabling the low pressure EGR while leaving the DPF and the high pressure EGR path intact? That would make the car less vulnerable to DPF cracks.
Malone says people can use up to Stage2 tune without modifying stock, however modifying the exhaust will only increase the performance of the tune.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Malone says people can use up to Stage2 tune without modifying stock, however modifying the exhaust will only increase the performance of the tune.
Just be aware of the risk of loosing the Emissions Extended Warranty benefits if non-VW tunes are detected at VW service shops.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
This (removing low pressure EGR) would be to keep the car beyond the emissions warranty. I don't want to replace a clogged EGR cooler every 12,000 miles.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
Just be aware of the risk of loosing the Emissions Extended Warranty benefits if non-VW tunes are detected at VW service shops.
Agree. Im not depending on the VW extended warranty. After the headache to try and get them to cover something that was clearly out of my hands, forget it. I'm on my own as far as I'm concerned. Not like they will warranty the engine if the timing belt breaks. They may replace the turbo if it breaks within the warranty period (if a scab flies through the turbine, forget it - not covered). Even if the dpf or cat gets clogged or plugged, I feel I will have a hard time getting them to replace a $1000 part with labor.

Nope, I bought a used car and learned a long time ago from purchasing a new car, the warranty is only as good as the company backing it up. Almost as bad as insurance companies, most dealerships will try every excuse to get out of fixing anything for free. You have to PROVE to them there was no negligence on your part. You need to keep every oil change, every service record, and have all of the service done at one of their dealerships, and even when you bring all of that to the table, you are still met with resistance.

Instead of worrying, I'm going to have fun with my car and enjoy it. I think I read somewhere on this board, "worry less, drive more". I am totally on board with this. VW makes a solid car, even they believe it, which is probably part of the reason there is so much resistance on warranty issues. They don't believe anything could've gone wrong.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Most dealers want the work as it isn't free for them, VW pays them. It is in their best interest to get you approved by VW if they can.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Most dealers want the work as it isn't free for them, VW pays them. It is in their best interest to get you approved by VW if they can.
I've heard (but have no proof) that this isn't necessarily true, because VW pays dealers a fair amount less that dealers would otherwise charge their customers. So from a dealership profitability perspective, they would prefer the customer to own the costs of repair rather than the manufacturer. Only if a dealership was otherwise underbooked would manufacturer warranty work be welcome.