Mushy Clutch - CPO

pmm

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Hi All,
For the past couple days I've felt my clutch pedal get a bit mushy. I've got ~39k miles now, the car was purchased in November of 2018 with ~32k miles. I've never navigated any type of warranty claim before with a car so I'm wondering what you all think I'm in for.
Since a clutch is a wear item I don't expect them to replace that for me - I also don't suspect that as being the problem.
Has anyone on the forum had a clutch line, master, or slave replaced under the CPO Dieselgate warranty? My thought is there is a small leak somewhere in the clutch system.
I didn't buy from VW, rather a Toyota dealership that told me I had an extended 10 year on the power train.
Thanks in advance for the replies.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
Unless the Toyota dealer provided their own warranty, I would assume they are referencing the "dieselgate" warranty which is 10yr/120k from original in service date. Unfortunately I think you might be on your own for this one, but hopefully it's only a hydraulics issue. Especially seeing as the car didn't come from a VW dealer, I would guess they did not bleed the clutch/brake system. Very good chance there is water in there. That would be the cheapest and easiest solution so I would start there

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

pmm

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Would my buying the car from a Toyota dealership mean I didn't get the warranty? It was part of the whole buy back program.
I expect you're right about the clutch hydraulics - that's certainly what it feels like.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
Sorry, I should have clarified. Yes, you should have the dieselgate warranty. You can use this tool to search your VIN to verify:
https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/

Just make sure you use all caps or it won't work. I think where the misunderstanding is is in the CPO language. As far as I know, the car cannot be "certified pre-owned" at least not through VW if the car was not bought through VW. So yes, you should have the dieselgate warranty but most likely not a CPO warranty. Does this clarify? You can read the terms of the dieselgate warranty, but it basically covers the emissions system and anything that touches the emissions system in any way.

pmm

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Ah, yes that does clarify. Thank you.
I think that the Dieselgate warranty was probably mis-represented by the people at Toyota because they referred to it as a power train warranty. If it's only emissions related than I think you're right and I'm SOL.
Thank you for that info and link - I will check it out and keep you all posted on what happens.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
So many non VW sellers push the powertrain extention (dieselgate) as if it is everything VW would include in a CPO. I found a number to VW where I was given exact info on my VW CPO. It has 6 different "warenties" or "extended coverage". Drivetrain, emmisions, clock spring, HPFP, exhaust flap, basic. They vary in mileage and termination dates. The key is to understand what is covered, under which coverage. Your Toyota may cover things under goodwill granted on a case by case from the dealership itself. My VW dealer covered the battery, a wear item, because I did my homework. The CPO multi point checklist had a generic "battery" check off. What exactly does that mean when on the same work order it says they had to jump a dead battery!

Best luck

pmm

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Update:
The short answer is none of the clutch hydraulics are covered by any warranty for me and my JSW.

After a few phone calls between the Toyota Dealer and me (and the Toyota Dealer and someone's friend over at a VW Dealer) Toyota told me this:
The car had a 3 year/36k warranty from new which was bumper to bumper.
There was also a power train warranty which was 6 year/60k(?) miles.
And finally since it was part of the diesel buy-back it has a 10 year/126k which only covers specifics noted in the link provided by Alex above.

I'm out of warranty on the 3 year and the 6 year deal due to passage of time and the buy-back warranty does not cover the clutch system.
However, I was nice (and a little rude when needed) to the Toyota guys and they agreed to tow it to VW for me and have them take a look. They're doing this because I made an explicit point to ask about what was covered by the 10 year deal and they told me "power train". Granted they're not VW employees so I should have known to take their answers with a grain of salt but either way, they're working with me now.
The repair is hopefully something simple and cheap like clutch line or just a flush; I don't imagine it's anything more serious than a master/slave swap. Toyota said they would have VW repair it for me if the cost is "a few hundred dollars or something" so we shall see.

Thanks again for all the advice and references on this forum!

pmm

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
UPDATE:
Toyota brought it to the nearest VW dealer and they quoted $2,000 for a new clutch. I immediately started pushing for a second opinion because it was obvious to me that the clutch was not the issue.
They guy I've been dealing with at Toyota was, thankfully, pretty understanding and recognized that a second opinion is necessary so they towed it to VW dealership number two. Dealership number two was able to pressurize the hydraulic system and locate a leak in the slave cylinder - $575 parts and labor.
The first dealership must have done zero troubleshooting when they got the car. "oh, he's got no clutch? replace the clutch! $2,000! big winner!"
So now the slave is being replaced by the second dealership at no cost to me and I should have the car back in a few days (part on order).
I got pretty lucky with this experience. My slave cylinder is not covered by any warranty so Toyota was under no obligation to pay.
Its worth noting though that we need to protect ourselves from dealerships that install unnecessary clutches - no way Toyota was footing that bill. They brought it to the second dealership because I was able to explain the problem, and how it came about, and why it couldn't be the clutch. If I wasn't able to do that and didn't know better, I'd probably have a new clutch right now.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
UPDATE:
Dealership number two was able to pressurize the hydraulic system and locate a leak in the slave cylinder - $575 parts and labor.

The first dealership must have done zero troubleshooting when they got the car. "oh, he's got no clutch? replace the clutch! $2,000! big winner!"
So now the slave is being replaced by the second dealership at no cost to

They brought it to the second dealership because I was able to explain the problem, and how it came about, and why it couldn't be the clutch. If I wasn't able to do that and didn't know better, I'd probably have a new clutch right now.
VW has quite a reputation dealers for bad service.
Not to say they all are shoddy, but VW loving member after member confirm this.

I wish they had Toyotas rep.