New tdi owner

DankNugz

TDI
2003 golf
Hi, I recently bought an 03 golf, 5 speed with 177k. Im petrified to bring it to a mechanic that isn’t on the vouch list and there aren’t any very close to me.
I’m wondering if there’s any members that are also mechanics. I’d prefer this route over a shop mechanic anyway because logic tells me the mechanic member would also be a tdi enthusiast. I need someone to help me get to a million miles. ����

I live in round top NY, Greene county.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The real important thing is the timing belt. You have roughly 4 listed within 100 miles of you. Any competent independent mechanic should be able to do most other work. Either that or learn to do it yourself. It is difficult to own one of these cars and live away from a metropolitan area unless you are at least somewhat DIY inclined. This person seems well recommended:

Mike McCann
aka 94x
Westhampton MA 01027
413-455-5602
TDIMike@comcast.net

http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=52846

ASE Certified L1 Master Automotive Technician for over 15 years. I have the necessary TDI diagnostic and specialty tools to perform the job correctly. Many parts in stock to reduce down time.

recommended by: mackconsult, philokie, AlanH70, Dana Hanchett

You might want to post in the area specific forum to see if there are others near you.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Last edited:

DankNugz

TDI
2003 golf
Thanks, I’ll check him out. The timing belt and pumps were done at 150k, I’m just trying to plan for future everything and was hoping to find someone within 30 miles incase it needs to be dropped off for days. Something I need done soon will be an exhaust mount, the one nearest to front seats. It must have rotted away, I get a jangle sound on startup and shutdown. I used my jack to take the weight off it and it’s silent.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There is a time limit as well as mileage for the TB. 5 or 6 years and change it regardless of miles.

I would talk to this place as they seem to have a good following and 19 5 star reviews. See if they have any VW experience at all. You might even find and buy the Bentley manual for your car just so it is handy if they need to do something they don't know about. Should help you too! They should be able to handle most regular items, especially with the manual handy, if needed. I would drive the 100 miles for the TB when needed though. That job is good to leave to the experienced mechanic.

Wiley Automotive
Car repair and maintenance
77 Co Rd 84, Cairo, NY 12413
8X3R+RC Cairo, NY
(518) 622-0731

DankNugz

TDI
2003 golf
Thanks for doing some research, much appreciated. I’ve used that garage in the past, to be honest I wouldn’t trust them with a car I cared about. There is a place 48 miles from me that’s on the trustee list “peoples II, in highland Ny.
I’m pretty diy capable, I do hvac and have a bunch of tools. I’ve changed the fuel and other filters, but know when I’m out of my comfort zone, I’d rather pay and patronize a buisness that specializes in such things. Really the only thing right now is the exhaust hanger, I’m about to bring it to this exhaust mechanic near me and see what he says.

DankNugz

TDI
2003 golf
There is a time limit as well as mileage for the TB. 5 or 6 years and change it regardless of miles.

I would talk to this place as they seem to have a good following and 19 5 star reviews. See if they have any VW experience at all. You might even find and buy the Bentley manual for your car just so it is handy if they need to do something they don't know about. Should help you too! They should be able to handle most regular items, especially with the manual handy, if needed. I would drive the 100 miles for the TB when needed though. That job is good to leave to the experienced mechanic.

Wiley Automotive
Car repair and maintenance
77 Co Rd 84, Cairo, NY 12413
8X3R+RC Cairo, NY
(518) 622-0731
Is the timing belt job the type I’d have to leave the car for days?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
It's a 1 day job, but the best mechanics are always busy, so you likely will leave it. No one here can give a definite answer, mine's a interweb guess/opinion. Call Wiley to be sure.
You live in a heavily populated area, try local car groups for recommendations. Our list is far from comprehensive, but it's a great place to start.

DankNugz

TDI
2003 golf
It's a 1 day job, but the best mechanics are always busy, so you likely will leave it. No one here can give a definite answer, mine's a interweb guess/opinion. Call Wiley to be sure.
You live in a heavily populated area, try local car groups for recommendations. Our list is far from comprehensive, but it's a great place to start.
Great point about local car groups, I’ll check fb. My biggest fear is a mechanic telling me he’s fine with tdis and then reusing one time use bolts, or something so simple as using the wrong fluids.

Before I even got my tdi I used tdiclub as a valuable resource and it steered me away from an automatic and into the manual I bought but traveled to a different state for! Tdiclub also scared me a bit when t comes to maintence and mechanic foul ups.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Even the trusted mechanics list doesn't guarantee you from that. You still have to check out the shop on your own. But you have to start somewhere and multiple recommendations goes a long way towards a start. If you are DIY inclined there are DIY instructions here on how to do the job. It isn't hard but it must be done correctly and a kit used with all the correct parts. The special tools needed can be bought and/or rented for use. A kit runs about $350 for the timing belt components, so much cheaper than paying someone.

DankNugz

TDI
2003 golf
You’re scaring me lol. I’ll track someone down. Last week I was at my daughters preschool graduation and saw another dad with a tdi, I asked him who his mechanic was and he said the Volkswagen dealership. So I’m sure with enough vigilance I’ll succeed. I saw another guy driving an alh the other day in my town, next time I see him I’m gonna pull along side and scream “can you recommend a tdi mechanic!”

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Anyone who does TB's should have the VCDS tool or similar. If they have that and can use it and discuss the procedure and the need to replace everything the belt touches, you probably have a good mechanic. But as with anything else no two people are alike and may not have the same experience.