b4 passat exhaust

k9mattk

TDI
1996 passat, 2005 jetta
was just wondering if anyone has a good source the replace the exhaust from converter back on my 96 tdi wagon?

thanks

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
was just wondering if anyone has a good source the replace the exhaust from converter back on my 96 tdi wagon?

thanks
Last I knew Walker still made the exhaust system for the Passat but you'd have to find a local supplier to see if they can order it. Should be the two mufflers and the front pipe.

Shouldn't be too hard to find someone that carries Walker, it's got a pretty big presence.

I see that RA carries Ansa system components but right now they lack the front pipe. Also I don't know what quality level this exhaust is but Ansa used to make very fine product years ago.

The other option is to find a local shop that can fabricate something for you, and for that you might have to hit up the Vortex regional midwest forum for Mpls area and see what those guys are doing for exhaust. There's going to be someone doing that stuff in Mpls but finding them might require a little digging.

The only problem with the last option is that the quality level of the custom exhaust can vary wildly from total crap to really good. I've seen my share of both and the shop I use for custom does a very nice job at a reasonable cost.

Good luck

Steve

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Find a local shop to fabricate - preferably stainless - you'll never need to do it again.

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
my original exhaust is still in great shape...gotta love stainless...kinda wonder what happened to yours? PO removed it?

anyway, I went straight pipe but kept all the old exhaust just in case I need to put it back...

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
my original exhaust is still in great shape...gotta love stainless...kinda wonder what happened to yours? PO removed it?

anyway, I went straight pipe but kept all the old exhaust just in case I need to put it back...
Texas vs Minnesota.

I'm thinking rust happened to his. :D

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
B3 Passat cars got stainless, at least the GLX models did, the exhaust systems were made by Leistritz, and they were pretty decent systems. IDK if everything was stainless but the mufflers were. My B3V has a Leistritz rear muffler from a 92 GLX car, same JY car that donated the rear beam axle.

I don't think the B4 cars continued with the same quality exhaust system, which could have contributed to rusting and failure.

Steve