Wow - I Have Boost

Gangles

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Hatch
Wow - I Have Boost (Andddddddddddddddd Now Smoke - Help!)

Hey all,

I have had my now 305k mile TDI since February of 2014. I don't keep vehicles more than 1-2 years. Having had this for 4 1/2 years definitely says something about this car. Anywho, I have had intermittent overboost and unboost issues since my first year of ownership. I replaced 95% of the vacuum lines a couple years ago and that helped. Recently, I had some more underboost issues with the CEL coming on as well. I checked my vacuum lines/fittings and all are okay. I put the car up on a lift and did a visual inspection. I noticed the passenger side intercooler was very oiley:

As was one of the hoses:

Aside from that, the VNT looked a bit rusty. I decided to spray it with some PB Blaster, "exercise" it a little bit, let it soak in, then take the car out for some high RPM runs to remove any rust that could be causing it to stick. After putting the car back on the ground & cleaning up I fired it up. Didn't hear the turbo. I drove it (While hooked up to Torque to monitor boost) and saw that boost was not exceeding -0.4. I pulled over. Looked everything over as best I could, and decided I'd take a look at it the next day. Fired up the car again and headed home. This time the turbo was engaging properly and pulling real strong. I let the engine hit operating temp, then did several high RPM pulls on the highway. This was about a week ago. Since then, the car has been absolutely amazing. I don't drive it for power, but I have noticed I have more power right now in 92 degrees F, high humidity weather, with the AC on than I did in the past with my AC off. It's almost like a whole new car again.

EDIT: Anddddddddddddddddd now it is smoking :rolleyes: Posting a new thread on that ....

Last edited: