Prediction for the 2015 Passat SEL

cookeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Most automakers selling to the US market do a major update to their cars after three years in production. The reason for this is that three years is the most common lease period.

I think that the 2015 Passat SEL will add HID headlights, LED taillights & DRL's, and electronic parking brake in addition to the 2013 updates. Expect the price to go up at least a couple of thousand dollars.

What do you think? Care to speculate?

TDI-BZ

TDI
2012 TDI Passat 6MT
Most automakers selling to the US market do a major update to their cars after three years in production. The reason for this is that three years is the most common lease period.

I think that the 2015 Passat SEL will add HID headlights, LED taillights & DRL's, and electronic parking brake in addition to the 2013 updates. Expect the price to go up at least a couple of thousand dollars.

What do you think? Care to speculate?

Hmmmm...... Honda runs 4 year cycles, as does Toyota and VW's main leasing term is 48 months. The real reason that most comapnies run 4 or 5 year cycles between major revamps is cost of tooling and factory set up.

With that being said, there is going to be some VERY cool stuff coming from VW in the next deacade. :p:D:)

cookeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Thanks for the update on leasing. I was also considering that I've seen seven to ten years before a complete model revamp. When do you think VW will choose to facelift the Passat? I love my 2012 TDI SEL and I'm already thinking about getting my next one.....

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I do not think you can place a set time period on that sort of thing, they are all over the map. Ford just now, for 2013, got an all-new Escape for the very first time since it debuted in 2001. It just got a few facelifts along the way otherwise. In that same period, two the Escape's principle rivals, the Honda CRV and Toyota RAV4, got a couple complete redesigns. In fact the second generation CRV came about the same year the Escape did, replacing the first one that came out here in 1997 (but was already 2 years old at the time).

It is quite possible this NMS Passat will be identical in 2015 as a 2012 model, with some very minor bits updated. The basic platform will probably be largely unchanged.

Since so much of the NMS' development involved the Chinese market, we may have to see how it does on the other side of the world to see how much (if any) changes occur here. And given they could still buy a second generation Passat (Quantum here) there as recently as last year, who knows.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
It is quite possible this NMS Passat will be identical in 2015 as a 2012 model, with some very minor bits updated. The basic platform will probably be largely unchanged.
I made the same assumption. If over time the model is popular, platform sound and still visually appealing, it could outlast the MKIV.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
3 Model years is seems too short to do anything than minor stuff, similar to interior changes in 2012/2013. I doubt the exterior will change, except possible for head/tail lights.

By 2015/16 maybe an engine change. The 2.5 is already on the way out. The V6 is how old? The TDi will more or less be 6 years old, 3 specifically for this car so some upgrade would be very possible. Maybe a change to the ECU to give us more HP/TQ like they have in Europe?

outthere

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5 Northern Green wagon
Mfgs are investing a lot of $$ into making retooling and setup times happen much faster and with less cost than ever before. But I know VWoA is focused on one thing and that is selling the Passat, that came from the office in herndon VA.

Does anyone know why the TDI always seems to be excluded from their lease offers? Or is this 'create your own' lease, meaning put some $ down and sell it in 3 yrs and you will likely be OK financially? (Id rather have VW take the risk vs. me).

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Some people have been able to lease TDIs. I think VW would prefer not to lease for whatever reason.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
But I know VWoA is focused on one thing and that is selling the Passat.
Which is all the reason to minimize platform changes, as the more they sell without retool/retraining allows them to keep pricing lower or more competitive.

Does anyone know why the TDI always seems to be excluded from their lease offers?
I'm guessing its due to healthy TDI demand (no incentive required).

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
IMO, probably a TDI SEL AWD with a 6 speed Manual. The floor hump is already there to handle the AWD. Something like they briefly offered in the B5.5 Passat for 2004, with a 1.8T, AWD and stick.

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
Just idle thoughts on the future:

AWD seems an obvious niche, but maybe VW would like to move those buyers over to an Audi. A wagon seems a stretch, North America loves the SUV too much now which is a pity.

By 2015 I'd expect HID to be on the way out and LED lamps with much their superior colour indexes and configuration flexibility to be the rage. New lamps and a nose refresh?

Yours
Vern

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Just idle thoughts on the future:
AWD seems an obvious niche, but maybe VW would like to move those buyers over to an Audi. A wagon seems a stretch, North America loves the SUV too much now which is a pity....
Passat Alltrack TDI BlueMotion Technology Variant FTW! Just like this one I checked out in Ireland a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Only if a wagon came as a variant on the NMS. Gotta have that extra room, then I'd take the wagon. While I'm at it, I might as well wish for SEL trim and a manual transmission. And free beer.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
The Passat NMS is the new "Ford Taurus", and with the American Economy tanking for the next four years, I don't foresee a radically new Passat model until 2017.

In fact, the VW fire sale of 2012 will not be repeated, at least until Nov 2016.

Look merely for new grills, and minor cosmetic stuff, plus keeping the price as is (or even offering a lower priced bare bones TDi model) in the mean time.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
With the Passat being a brand new model, I wasn't expecting any major changes to it for the next 4 or 5 years anyway, regardless of the economic situation.

VW will a big sales push from the new Mk7 Golf.

I also think VW will add another model to the Tennessee manufacturing facility in the next two years. No idea what yet, but they'll add something soon.

CastIronJSW

TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 1/2017); 2015 Jetta SEL TDI 6M (1st Stage Fix 2/2017)
I don't have a prediction, but I do have a modest "wish list". I'm very satisfied with most aspects of the Passat as now configured, but would like to see:

1. LED tail lights and daylight running lights
  2. A more modern nav-head unit - faster, solid state hard drive
  3. Blind spot collision-avoidance system option
  4. Adaptive cruise control option
All common options on Passat competitors.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
With the Passat being a brand new model, I wasn't expecting any major changes to it for the next 4 or 5 years anyway, regardless of the economic situation.

VW will a big sales push from the new Mk7 Golf.

I also think VW will add another model to the Tennessee manufacturing facility in the next two years. No idea what yet, but they'll add something soon.
Seems like I heard a blip on the news about them building a SUV here in this plan along with the Passat...

Tschuss_Bill

TDI
2000 Jetta Original Owner, 2005 E320 CDI
Agree it's too early for a facelift. Don't think there will be too many spiffs like AWD etc due to deference to Audi.

What is possible (and ridiculous that it hasn't happened already for the US market) are some common sense measure for options.

Real leather
HID's
options for the manual model like sunroof etc.

Totally doable. Audi won't mind, really.

-B

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Does anyone know why the TDI always seems to be excluded from their lease offers? Or is this 'create your own' lease, meaning put some $ down and sell it in 3 yrs and you will likely be OK financially? (Id rather have VW take the risk vs. me).
I'm guessing its due to healthy TDI demand (no incentive required).
I assume that it has more to do with the higher residual value of the diesel cars. Your lease payments cover the depreciation value while leasing. If the resale value of the Passat TDI stays up, then, in theory, one could end up with an extremely low to no lease payment. VW is money ahead to sell outright and let us take the depreciation.

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
I hope they will Passat wagon crossover TDi that can on my buying list to replace Volvo XC70.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
We will see what they bring to the Detroit Auto Show in about two weeks. :cool: