Limp mode after long stop-and-go

alex_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2001, Blue
After a long time stuck in stop-n-go traffic (1 hr+), the car would go into limp mode. The RPM revs up high (4K+ easily) but the car barely speeds up. After I pull over, stop and restart the engine, the car drives fine as long as I keep moving. Outside air temp was a cool 68 F.

The car idles perfectly, but the power is a bit less than I remembered. When not hot, the car revs and shifts smoothly. No codes on ECU/TCU.

I've changed the air filter recently with no effect. ATF has been drained/fill 3 times in last 3 months. Never had a burnt smell, no bits/particles.

Going to change the fuel filter (36K since last) and MAF (186K original). I cleaned the MAF and the car was rocking for a few days. The MAF connector retaining clip (red plastic) has broken off a bit, but still plugs in tight to MAF. Also planning on cleaning intake, but not until next year.

What else should I look into?

Thanks.

Alex

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Are you able to check for codes? Sometimes limp mode will set a fault, label it intermittent, but not turn on the CEL.

alex_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2001, Blue
No codes for both engine and transmission on VCDS.

I did a quick test run just now and noticed that the ATF temperature was around 112/113 C, but the coolant temperature gauge was steady and pointing straight up on the dash (190 F or 90 C).

Could I have a clogged transmission ATF cooler?

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
No codes for both engine and transmission on VCDS.

I did a quick test run just now and noticed that the ATF temperature was around 112/113 C, but the coolant temperature gauge was steady and pointing straight up on the dash (190 F or 90 C).

Could I have a clogged transmission ATF cooler?
Anything is possible, but usually the transmission would overheat then start to shudder/drop out of gear. But it would. Also discolor the fluid and yours is clean. Course I'm not very familiar with the 01M, I disposed of mine when I started getting torque converter chatter.