No start for the Jetta this morning NE

str8edg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Passat SE
My 99.5 jetta did not want to start this morning. The wind chill was below zero. A brief history is that when i drive my car for say 30 minutes and then park it for a couple of minutes, lets say to fill up and then i try to start it again after i wait for the glow plugs i turn the key and it takes a couple of seconds and a push on the pedal for the jetta to start up. DO i need a new battery??? If not what do you think the problem is. Thank for all your help

rocketman

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 2001 GAL BLUE
If you have the original OEM battery....replacing it would be a good place to start.
Do a search on Batteries, seems that Walmart has a good one at a fair price!

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
When you say "won't start", do you mean:

1. Nothing whatsoever happens when you turn the key. All lights dim or out.

2. Clicking noise and lights dim or out, but nothing else.

3. Engine cranks slowly - too slow to start.

4. Engine cranks normally and you get the normal "glow plug" and "check engine" momentary indications on the instrument panel prior to cranking the engine, but it won't start.

5. Engine cranks normally but you are NOT getting the normal momentary "glow plug" and "check engine" indications prior to cranking.

Select one of the above, please ... or describe a different situation if it isn't one of the above ...

str8edg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Passat SE
when i start i get all the normal lights and the radio comes on, after i wait for the glow plug light to dissappear i turn the key to crank it and i hear it crank over a couple of time then nothing but clicks..... Ihope its a battery cause i ordered and orange top.

DeathEngine

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB
Sounds like a dying battery to me. I had my battery drain and i would get the "clicking" you described too.

RJC

Replaced my OEM battery today, tried to start this morning and the car only grunted. Replaced with another OEM under warrenty. OH yes, last night temp dipped to -26C. Complained of weak Battery to my dealer before Christmas but it has been very mild this winter for this part of Canada and haven't had any probelms starting untill this cold snap. Has been down to -29C without the wind chill. Now the car starts like it did when new.

Betzel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
There is a TSB out stating the TDI must have a high RPM when cranking in order to start. This is even more important when cold. I think it was 500 RPM minimum, but I forget now. You need a good battery, connections and starter for this. Isolating and diagnosing are difficult.

I tested mine in MA at 4 degrees F one winter and it was fine. I would recommend answering Brian's questions above; if you can provide more data we can be more helpful. Maybe.

If you have a manual, some guts, and a friend with a rope you can do a tow start, but it won't help diagnose the problem. RT*M first though.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
It's a minimum of 250 RPM. That is over 4 times per second. I would need a good battery too to turn over that many times per second to get out of bed on a cold morning.