Fuel filler issue on 06 Jetta gasser

jimzdat

TDI
14 Jetta TDI
Wife just called me from work and informed me that the last few times she's filled up her car (06 Jetta 2.5), it keeps spitting back fuel, and basically requires her to "trickle" fuel in - like 10 minutes to put a few gallons in.

I figure when she gets home in the morning, I'll be looking at it - got the Bentley manual, so will be reviewing that as well.

Anyone else seen this and can maybe point me in a direction to start the hunt? I'm thinking it sounds like a plugged vent line, but I'm not sure what would possibly be blocking it?

Thanks,
Jim

Kiwi_ME

Veteran Member
TDI
'18 Kona EV, ex '03 Golf TDI, '82 Rabbit Diesel
This happened to my '03 TDI after someone at the dealer thought it would be funny to stuff a plastic glove down the filler. Pic here.

jimzdat

TDI
14 Jetta TDI
Well, the only thing done at the dealer was a headlight recall, and that was 8 months ago - I do all service otherwise.

And I'm pretty sure I didn't stuf anything inthe filler neck, but I'll check with the rest of the voices in my head to see if they know anything.

Probably a good thing to check anyway, since who knows what may have happened at some of these other stations

Thanks,
Jim

jimzdat

TDI
14 Jetta TDI
OK, I think the car is just possessed

Just found one thing I don't like about the cars - filler neck is plastic welded to the tank, makes checking for blockages a tad difficult

Pulled the fuel pump module, ran a vinyl coated cable down the filler neck till I could see it in the tank (never knew there was a check valve/flapper in the tank for that tube).
Also blew air into the tank, could see the check valve fluttering, so I assume it is clear.
Couldn't find anyway to check the vent line, tried reaching into the tank to see if there was anything blocking it - some sort of plastic doohickey mounted to the top of the tank, couldn't detect any blockage. Did institute a percussive maintenance procedure just for grins anyway :D

Buttoned it all back up and drove to the gas station - took a whopping 1min, 50sec to put 12 gallons in it.

No idea what was the problem - my initial guess was operator error (yeah, that went over well), but she said even another person at the station had the same trouble.
Only thing that was odd - it seems there may be 2 checkvalves in the filler neck - one midway, the other where it enters the tank. Met some resistance at the first one when "rodding" out the neck, maybe it was stuck?

Either way - it's full now, and since her commute is less than 5 miles, shold hold her a while

Jim

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
__. Was she using a "truck nozzle"? It acts like you described on my '03 but the '06 is even smaller and it's even worse. (Just a thought.)