TDIClub Secret Society of Benz Owners (SSBO)

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
This is an invitation to all members who are currently hiding in the shadows, too frightened by the VW fanaticism to show themselves publicly for who they really are - Mercedes Benz owners.

It may be true that the term "TDI" has never been used on a Mercedes Benz, and no Mercedes has ever been graced with small 1.9 or 2.0 liter turbocharged, direct injection diesel. Nevertheless, among the A3s, A4s, B4, B5.5 are the w201, w123, w124, w126 filled with not the ALH, AHU, 1Z but with the brilliant 602.962, 603.960, 602.911 and the venerable 617.912. These are only a few of the gems hidden among our sea of VW TDIs.

So I say fear not! Show your dual-brand ownership with pride! Post a picture! And stand up for what you believe in and join the TDIClub Secrete Society of Benz Owners.

I would like to formally induct the following members:
1) IndigoBlueWagon - 1993 w124
2) btcost - 1987 w124
3) cevans (inducting himself) - 1989 w201 602.911
4) Honeydew - 1997 w123 616.912
5) compu85 - 1992 w126 (right?) (omitting engine code out of respect for the owner)
6) manual_tranny - 1975 w124

And as proof of membership I submit the following on behalf of btcost, IndigoBlueWagon and cevans (left to right):

(beautiful rear ends, eh?)

The SSBO is currently accepting applications...

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
You're officially a member of the Old Mans' Club now

cevans said:
3) cevans (inducting himself) - 1989 w201

Nice! Congrats! Is it auto?

cevans

TDI
Automatic - which I am sad about, I would love to find a 5 spd version with a taller top gear. However, the car sits in traffic all day long, so it works out. It shifts pretty well, vacuum system is healthy...

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
cevans said:
Automatic - which I am sad about, I would love to find a 5 spd version with a taller top gear. However, the car sits in traffic all day long, so it works out. It shifts pretty well, vacuum system is healthy...
Well, you don't have to worry about the tranny going south assume you do really basic maintenance. How is the body? Rust?

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
not skeered

And lets not forget the wonderous 616.912!

This 240D is a joy to drive and I use it for all my local driving. Four speed manual, crank windows, no sunroof, working A/C, working original radio, fits 26er bike in the trunk with only front wheel removed.

It is the only car I have ever owned which has been used a model for a commissioned work of art.:D

[/IMG]

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
Is that your secret clubhouse where you meet, there on the left??? If it's secret, should you be telling us in general, and me in particular, about it???

Aren't / weren't at least the older versions of those things taxi's in Europe -- the technological equivalent of the Chevy Caprice (ducking right now).

OK, just kidding . . .

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Left Coast Resident said:
Aren't / weren't at least the older versions of those things taxi's in Europe -- the technological equivalent of the Chevy Caprice (ducking right now).

OK, just kidding . . .
My 240D was designed with taxi duty in mind and sold in the U.S. during malaise era national 55 mph speed limits. Not the best for modern highway duty, sounds like a TDI in 3rd gear.

This car is very satisfying to work on due to the design engineering focus on maintainability and longevity, very unlike anything GM would consider. End use might be similar but technologically they are worlds apart.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Mine's the one that's German Taxi color in the photo. And it's used for much of my local driving, too, although it'll happily and quietly sit at 75 MPH on the highway. And I've averaged 32.5 MPG since purchase according to Fuelly. A5 Common Rail TDI territory, me thinks.

I think of mine as my B4 replacement. Rear leg room, comfy, good for driving the kids and parents around.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I need to get a driveway shot at my new place, but this bad boy is currently living in the garage pending some trans work.

It's my 1991 350SDL, which got a factory replacement motor 55,000 miles ago in 2001.

-J

Last edited:

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Jetter_Sprinta said:
Honeydew--that's a beauty! Is that the one with the two-level A/C? "COL" and "DER"??
Thanks, yeah that's it, and it also features "OFF" to give that extra burst of power for climbing bridges or passing bicyclists.

cevans

TDI
I like the rear fog action. They didn't see fit to have that installed on my w201.

Honeydew, thats a 240d STICK? FANTASTIC! I've got an extra wheel for it if you are ever...in Mass?

Rust? Not on this w201 (okay, there is a spot below the tail light...) Massachusetts winters won't hurt, right?

inductee list updated :)

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Mine wasn't included from the factory either. I removed the whole interior to run the wiring along the proper wiring conduit :eek: I did clean the carpet while it was out...

-J

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My '93 includes the rear fog. And I have a bit of rust on one front fender and one jack point, hidden under the body cladding I'm not crazy about. Winter projects.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
My '75 still has the original A/C that cycles on and off depending on the rheostat position. Unbelievably smart. (although with only 60hp or so I really feel the A/C when it kicks on and off suddenly)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Someone has to get Old Navy on this thread. He's always singing the praises of his E320.

cevans

TDI
OH....thats not fair...3...white...wagons....

Beautiful barn, great roof!

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Bunch of scardeycats!! The only REAL MBD is the W140. :D Yeah baby..... a living room with wheels!

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
I still have my 240D with a 617 turbodiesel I sold on eBay last fall. Deadbeat paid a deposit and never finished the sale.

cevans

TDI
Its a beautiful thing...

I might need to bring the 190 out to the GTG. Need to get the odometer working first...or shoot myself for trying to fix it again...