APR Tuning now offering a tune for 2.0 CR TDIs!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I'm sorry to hear you feel that way.

I don't think the "bandwagon" has anything to do with peoples feelings towards APRs tune.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your tune.

as to this:
Your previous post said "real life numbers are more useful" as in apr made up the dyno.
what I mean by that is their tune is likely built specifically for that car they designed it around(their test car). Throw it on 20 or 30 cars and I bet 3 or 4 of those run similarly.

I think you're misinterpreting some of what I, and others are writing and getting offensive about it.

Last edited:

amd is the best

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sedan DSG
Your previous post said "real life numbers are more useful" as in apr made up the dyno.

If you want real life there is a video of a Malone stg2 car getting pulled on by AMD in his APR stage1 tdi. Can't get more real life than that.

Just keep in mind since your a dealer for Malone your representing his business. 1 friend (who owns a 2010 tdi) and myself have decided to give our business to someone other than Malone. Just your attitude in this thread (and some of your now deleted posts) leaves a sour taste in my mouth towards Malone and his dealers. Your not the only one I have read publicly posting hate towards another TDI tuner.

I am happy there are more options and more products are coming out for the CR crowd. The Malone "bandwagon" is lashing out any way possible to discredit other tuners (not just apr).

I hope the mods clean up this thread and warn some of the posters.
Well said, and I agree. Way too many people on this forum specifically trying their hardest to discredit ANY other tuner. I prove him wrong with evidence and the subject gets changed or somehow claim the evidence is incorrect.

I understand brand loyalty too but some on here are taking it to an extreme.

I have noticed that all the hate comes from the Malone bandwagon as well but only from his customers and dealers. He hasn't once said a negative thing about APR which is either because he can't or because he is a professional. Probably both at this point. This will still keep me a potential future Malone customer but you better believe I won't be visiting his wonderful dealer out in Minnesota.

I'm sorry to hear you feel that way.

I don't think the "bandwagon" has anything to do with peoples feelings towards APRs tune.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your tune.

as to this:
what I mean by that is their tune is likely built specifically for that car they designed it around(their test car). Throw it on 20 or 30 cars and I bet 3 or 4 of those run similarly.

I think you're misinterpreting some of what I, and others are writing and getting offensive about it.
APR tested their tune on several different cars in house, researching and developing for well over a year (per APR). They then released the software to locals for even more test vehicles in February to continue revising the software. Yes, they were new to the diesel world however they are the biggest name in Audi/VW tuning and would not release an untested and anything other then a high quality product to the public.

I've been following them from the beginning and without a doubt they had been working on it for close to two years. It pays off because I am a very happy customer of this excellent upgrade and I'd recommend it to anyone.

For the record mine seems to run as good or better then APR expected judging by their reaction to my video. If measuring the torque with VCDS is any kind of realistic number, my car surpasses APR's dyno graph.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
I have noticed that all the hate comes from the Malone bandwagon as well but only from his customers and dealers. He hasn't once said a negative thing about APR which is either because he can't or because he is a professional.
It's the latter.

Sounds like you're opinion of APR is totally unbiased :rolleyes:. Which doesn't give your arguments much merit.

Haters will hate and lovers will love, can't we all just agree to disagree and move on?

There's 7 pages of mud slinging in this thread and only a few real pertinent posts. Let's quit the BS and let the tunes speak for themselves.

ny tdi

TDI
2010 Golf 4dr TDI 6MT w/ roof, cold wather, RNS 510, Sigma 6 shifter
H Guys,

Not sure what all the hurt feelings are about. For as long as there have been manufacturer/developer claims, there have been independent tester/reviewers. Sometimes the independent testers find that the performance claims are spot on. Other times, we learn that the numbers are either conservative or boosted. It happens with everything from 0-60 numbers, to summer rubber performance, to fuel economy. Neither Car-and-Driver nor Moter Trend are in the business of making liars out of car manufacturers. They are, however, in the business of supplying independent test results of the cars (we) enthusiasts get excited about.

Personally, I would love to see before/after dyno numbers from anyone having done the APR tune. I don't have DSG, and the ability to return to stock before any type of Dealer-related service means more than +\- 5hp (at least to me). Oh, and I'll keep my iced coffe handy, to keep me cool from the inevitable flames. ; )

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I think we covered that AMD. Put me next to a 200hp car in 4th at 2000rpm and my 130hp car in 3rd, I will win.

amd is the best

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sedan DSG
You're missing the fact that I pulled away and kept going. Excuse after excuse.

This whole bickering back and forth about 150hp cars is silly and this will be my last post related to the ongoing nonsense. I've got two 400+ awhp Audi's that are actually worth racing anyway.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
You're missing the fact that I pulled away and kept going.
Maximum power does not a good tune make.

Back in the day I made a small fortune selling ECM's and turbos to APR chipped 1.8t's. APR claimed top horsepower for those cars in the tuning wars but at a cost. Their software overstressed the turbos and burn up injector drivers IC with regular consistency.

Time will be the judge however for the tdi's.

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
anyways, AMD do you think you can get some more vids of you and your brother for a 3rd and 4th gear pull? maybe a dig?
Id like to see how that pans out with either staying neck and neck or one of you all pulling away. Im still trying to talk my bro in to getting the tune done on his car, but he does not really care at the moment since medschool is about to start back up for him.

I really dont give a hoot about any dyno numbres, id rather see how your tune vs your brothers tune works in a vid though. I really dont care about the dyno numbers since ive had the stage 2 tune done, and got my car dyno'd and know what i put down, and I know other people are going to put down more or less on many different dyno's, too many factors to put into play for that. id rather see the vids haha.

But for that matter, being a Malone customer with the tune, and seeing your car(apr) take off on your brothers(malone) although dsg vs man, it was still impressive none the less. Me being an unbiased person really not caring malone or apr or whoever, just good to see there is more product coming out for the CR motor. given there is too much crap being slung around this thread, which I knew would happen, i for one got alittle butt hurt ill admit when the apr car took off. haha.
I think some more vids could help us out see and understand i guess. It seems people have a lot of questions, and instead of getting a tune and getting their own car dyno'd, they would rather sit back and see what happens to yours and then make posts about it which kinda sucks, im in that boat too some what, like i said, id like to get my brother to have his car tuned and make our own vids but i have done the stage2 tune and dyno'd my own car, not having your car tuned or dyno'd and making comments is kinda wack to me i guess.
did i mention some more vids?? haha

Last edited:

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
might see next week if i can team up with a dude at work who i installed his RawTek exhaust on and he has malone stage 2 tune on his 12 jetta sedan. felt like it pulled really well when i drove it. i mean far from related to this thread, but would be a nice vid ahha

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
I think we covered that AMD. Put me next to a 200hp car in 4th at 2000rpm and my 130hp car in 3rd, I will win.
John has a good point. A side to side race doesn't prove much other than make good cinema. There are too many differences to make an accurate comparison. I'd like to see a side by side dyno comparison.

amd is the best

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sedan DSG
If all you care about is who's makes more power, has a better curve or whatever else, thats great.

I personally prefer a car that actually performs better over a car that looks better on some sheet/screen. Whether it comes down to gear ratios, power to weight ratios, driver skill, tire pressure, aerodynamics or whatever else you want to throw into the mix for variables. My brothers car was out performed in the short race of the slowest cars known to man. Done deal.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
If all you care about is who's makes more power, has a better curve or whatever else, thats great.

I personally prefer a car that actually performs better over a car that looks better on some sheet/screen. Whether it comes down to gear ratios, power to weight ratios, driver skill, tire pressure, aerodynamics or whatever else you want to throw into the mix for variables. My brothers car was out performed in the short race of the slowest cars known to man. Done deal.
I smoked a Porsche 911 twin turbo once but later discovered the Porsche driver didn't even know we were racing.

I should have made a video of it so I can make a bunch of baseless inaccurate comparisons.

Anyways back on topic I hope.

Last edited:

amd is the best

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sedan DSG
I smoked a Porsche 911 twin turbo once but discovered the Porsche driver didn't even know we were racing.

I should have made a video of it so I can make a bunch of baseless inaccurate comparisons.

Anyways back on topic I hope.
Cool story bro. Probably had a trunk full of TDI 01E's too right?

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
I smoked a Porsche 911 twin turbo once but later discovered the Porsche driver didn't even know we were racing.
His brother did know they were racing though...

Either way, from a complete bystander who has no intentions of ever getting a tune, this thread has really turned me off from Malone based on how defensive some of you guys get.

That sentence has a few gramatical errors in it. :confused:
Says the guy who can't spell grammatical. ;)

Last edited:

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
this thread has really turned me off from Malone based on how defensive some of you guys get.
Let the tunes speak for themselves, but side by side racing two different cars with two different drivers is not an accurate nor nowhere near scientific judge of which tune is "better".

If pointing out flaws in a side by side race, and asking for a scientific approach to what tune is "better" is being defensive then you and I are using different dictionaries.

Says the guy who can't spell grammatical. ;)
Spelling and grammar are two different things. At least you could understand my point.

Last edited:

Charrigan

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
They were the same car lol. A race from a roll is a better measure of how well a car uses its power than a dyno. A dyno is just a number and should only be used to tune and measure gains from the same cars baseline.

No matter what video AMD makes the bandwagon will try to find any reason they can to shoot it down weather the apr car keeps up or wins.

I've never been on a forum where people get so angry and butt hurt about a sub 200hp losing a race.

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
this thread is a prime example on why i had to explain how tdiclub operates to a guy at work when he looked around on here and found this thread because he wants to get tune.

I'm with AMD on this one, dude just give it up, he got a APR tune, made a vid, he likes the tune, people will or won't like it, others will like malone or uni or whoever more, thats fine. I do wish AMD makes a couple more vids, but at this point its stupid because it will prob be torn apart lol.
AMD i hope you do make some more vids dude, want to see how this apr tune stacks up more. I think if people want to get dyno runs or nitpick and junk with out themselves having a tune or anything seems dumb .

amd is the best

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sedan DSG
There will definitely be more video just for fun. And because I get paid for my videos on youtube, LOL!

For the record, I planned on posting the video win or loose because I understand and accept the fact that there will always be a faster car out there. I was pleasantly surprised with the results of our "baseless inaccurate comparison." At lease it got me 1600 views in less then a week ($$$$$), lol. Keep watching it haters!
lol, i know right.
Worlds slowest race maybe. haha
:p
My brothers car was out performed in the short race of the slowest cars known to man.

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
You people just don't seem to understand that dyno numbers are USELESS. A dyno is a tool used for tuning a vehicle. When changes to the tune are made, differences in the dyno results are noted as a reference point. The actual figures mean little to nothing, the change between them IS what matters.

Now, that being said...If I were to dyno my car at 5 different local dynos then take the averages of those 5 dynos, then maybe that number would mean something. This will never happen.

If you dyno your car and your brothers' car back to back, (same dyno, same day,alternating cars and multiple runs... I say that because it appears I need to specify what the rest of the world would take for granted) then the DYNO runs will not be useless and your credibility will grow.
This would compare ONLY THE TWO CARS/TUNES INVOLVED. It would be nice to test your car in stock mode as well since you can turn your tune on and off. Can your brother do this? If he can, test his stock mode as well.

When you drag race you are comparing the two lanes, the two drivers, the 'luck' of the run, the two cars, the two tunes.. etc. Dynos keep it as simple as possible.

I know, 'not gonna happen'. LOL

Btw, I DON'T HAVE A MALONE TUNE.

Bill

amd is the best

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sedan DSG
If you dyno your car and your brothers' car back to back, (same dyno, same day,alternating cars and multiple runs... I say that because it appears I need to specify what the rest of the world would take for granted) then the DYNO runs will not be useless and your credibility will grow.
This would compare ONLY THE TWO CARS/TUNES INVOLVED. It would be nice to test your car in stock mode as well since you can turn your tune on and off. Can your brother do this? If he can, test his stock mode as well.

When you drag race you are comparing the two lanes, the two drivers, the 'luck' of the run, the two cars, the two tunes.. etc. Dynos keep it as simple as possible.

I know, 'not gonna happen'. LOL

Btw, I DON'T HAVE A MALONE TUNE.

Bill
Unfortunately, that still wouldn't be a perfect comparison because its still two different cars. Although it's the same engine code there are still a lot of variables. Fuel, compression, soot buildup in the intake manifold and the list could go on.

Best case scenario would be to dyno the same car with two (or more) different ECU's (tunes) on the same dyno on the same day with the same fuel, compression, wear+tear, transmission, etc.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Unfortunately, that still wouldn't be a perfect comparison because its still two different cars. Although it's the same engine code there are still a lot of variables. Fuel, compression, soot buildup in the intake manifold and the list could go on.
Best case scenario would be to dyno the same car with two (or more) different ECU's (tunes) on the same dyno on the same day with the same fuel, compression, wear+tear, transmission, etc.
Yes that would be closer to ideal.

However,
It is the same two cars you are making the drag race videos with. What makes them suitable for drag racing, but not for dynoing?

Yeah, I know, I am 'just making excuses'. HEH.

Bill

amd is the best

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sedan DSG
Yes that would be closer to ideal.
However,
It is the same two cars you are making the drag race videos with. What makes them suitable for drag racing, but not for dynoing?
Yeah, I know, I am 'just making excuses'. HEH.
Bill
So then are we comparing tunes at that point are we comparing cars?

It's all really just pointless, and I honestly couldn't care any less.

If someone wants to volunteer to dyno both cars for free I'd do it for fun. Someone set it up!

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
So then are we comparing tunes at that point are we comparing cars?

It's all really just pointless, and I honestly couldn't care any less.

If someone wants to volunteer to dyno both cars for free I'd do it for fun. Someone set it up!

You are correct. This is pointless and has been so for many pages. :(

Bill

amd is the best

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sedan DSG
How can we turn this thread around? Hot chicks maybe??? A video of my newly installed rain/light sensor and auto rain closing windows?????