Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
He just wanted to be your friend. :p
Maybe.

Earlier this month I had a lady in TDI Jetta pass me then slow down slower then my CC setting when she passed so I changed lanes to pass and she sped up and at about 90mph she flipped me the bird and let me pass. Then earlier this week a guy in Jetta wagon do the pass me and slow down forcing me to again to either slow down or pass, and since it was divided 4 lane with little traffic again I went to other lane to pass and this time let my ECO Diesel badge stay by his window. Thing was he would not look and when I honked he still didn't look but also slowed down and dropped way back so I went on my way.

I guess my "Don't Tread On Me" snake decal scared him or he had no Idea I was diesel even though I had a diesel additive bumper sticker on my bumper.

Guess I was either considered Redneck Trump supporter (true) because of truck, and what appears to be the Gadson Flag, but is US Navy pennant flown on all US Navy Ships starting again in 2001 after 9-11-01 attack.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Guess I was either considered Redneck Trump supporter (true) because of truck, and what appears to be the Gadson Flag, but is US Navy pennant flown on all US Navy Ships starting again in 2001 after 9-11-01 attack.
I thought it was being used as the U.S. Naval Jack at the ship's bow when in port. Is it being flown while underway also?

Just so everyone knows what we're talking about:

Last edited:

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
I thought it was being used as the U.S. Naval Jack at the ship's bow when in port. Is it being flown while underway also?

Just so everyone knows what we're talking about:
Yes the Jack is flown from yard arm underway. It's an old tradition dating back to 1700's British Navy and their flying the Union Jack in port at the bow and underway at yardarm. Lot of our military customs come from British.

Last edited:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Took a medium length road trip on Sunday. Didn't need fuel - was planning to fill up after I got back home. Most stations are around $2.55-2.65 per gallon on average by home. My usual station on way to work is $2.45 per gallon. On my trip saw $2.35 - not bad at all but then on other side of that town saw $2.28 - hmmm. About ten miles down the road now $2.18 - now thinking about filling up but kept going. A few more miles it was $2.09 so I swung in and filled up. Only took just under five gallons. Next station was $2.65! :eek: After that prices were running $2.35 to $2.55 so made the right decision when to stop for fuel. ;)

makattack

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI/S/Manual
It's school vacation week in my area. Right at the start of the weekend, I was near my favorite / lowest cost fueling station (Irving in Norwood, MA) and decided to top off. There was a line of cars waiting for the gas pumps, but I was able to pull right up to the diesel island which had no one there. I guess a few people in line thought they could do the same to keep me company, seeing my VW GSW all by its lonesome self.

I spent the whole time filling up reminding them that their SUVs/cars took gas, not diesel.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
I was at HAFNERS (it kicks as the other guy would always post) in Hudson NH....
And a woman was parked at the middle diesel pump/k1 kerosene pump/leaded off road race fuel pump...
Having an issue....
In a minivan.... Alternately trying all 3....Trying to make them fit...
So I mentioned to her that gasoline is the at either end of the islands...
So she said in broken English.."I new here...Not know what I need"...Course the mini van had regular NH plates, and was Not a Rental....But heck... Maybe a friends....
So after seeing it took her about 4 minutes to move ahead 3 feet...I sent to get in line on the other side...
I finely got too pull up to the diesel on that side....Be the gal had just started pumping gas...
A box truck pulled up on the other side...And I let the guys know it might be a while....Told them the story...
I finished....Washed my windows...
And the gal on the far side had decided to clean out crumbs under her mini van seats....As I was leaving...The box truck was switching sides as I pulled out....

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I was at HAFNERS (it kicks as the other guy would always post) in Hudson NH....
And a woman was parked at the middle diesel pump/k1 kerosene pump/leaded off road race fuel pump...
Having an issue....
In a minivan.... Alternately trying all 3....Trying to make them fit...
So I mentioned to her that gasoline is the at either end of the islands...
So she said in broken English.."I new here...Not know what I need"...Course the mini van had regular NH plates, and was Not a Rental....But heck... Maybe a friends....
So after seeing it took her about 4 minutes to move ahead 3 feet...I sent to get in line on the other side...
I finely got too pull up to the diesel on that side....Be the gal had just started pumping gas...
A box truck pulled up on the other side...And I let the guys know it might be a while....Told them the story...
I finished....Washed my windows...
And the gal on the far side had decided to clean out crumbs under her mini van seats....As I was leaving...The box truck was switching sides as I pulled out....
Haffner's "It Kicks!" is part of the name of the station and that's why I always mention it. I don't know about their gasoline but their diesel fuel is good and it's a high turnover station. I've never had an issue in over 10 years of fueling up there with my logging around 1k miles/week.
http://www.haffners.com/

I learned through casual chatting with a manager there that they get 6000 gallons of diesel delivered every 3 days to keep up with diesel demand and to avoid running out. They sell around 2000 gallons of diesel per day. Several local trucking companies have contracts with this station and they all fuel up there. While it's not a truck stop, a lot of trucks fuel up there and the diesel fuel is among the freshest in the area due to the high turnover.

Last edited:

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Haffner's "It Kicks!" is part of the name of the station and that's why I always mention it.
That's like Dodge's down here. The full name is Dodge's Fried Chicken. Because who doesn't associate cheap unleaded with fried chicken? :D

Over time I have a tendency to keep tacking on things… until eventually I'm referring to it as Dodge's Fried Chicken, Pizza, Tax Prep and Lawnmower Repair.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Went to my favorite station to fill up yesterday. They were having trouble with the gasoline pumps and only 2 were working but the standalone diesel pump was fine. Rolled up and started to fill. Two gassers got in line behind me. I thought about telling them this was the "special good stuff" but thought better of it and played the good neighbor. The confused look on their face when I told them it was diesel was hilarious and sad. It's amazing how clueless people are about their vehicles.

n1das

TDI
That's like Dodge's down here. The full name is Dodge's Fried Chicken. Because who doesn't associate cheap unleaded with fried chicken? :D
Over time I have a tendency to keep tacking on things… until eventually I'm referring to it as Dodge's Fried Chicken, Pizza, Tax Prep and Lawnmower Repair.
LOL, I used to shop at WAL-MART before it became WAL*MART. I now shop at Walmart*. :D

Last edited:

n1das

TDI
Went to my favorite station to fill up yesterday. They were having trouble with the gasoline pumps and only 2 were working but the standalone diesel pump was fine. Rolled up and started to fill. Two gassers got in line behind me. I thought about telling them this was the "special good stuff" but thought better of it and played the good neighbor. The confused look on their face when I told them it was diesel was hilarious and sad. It's amazing how clueless people are about their vehicles.
I've sort of had that happen several years ago at Haffner's ("It Kicks!") in Hudson NH when the station was busy and all pumps were working. The diesel pumps are in the middle of the pump islands and with the gas pumps at the ends. I was filling my 05 PD JWagen up at one of the diesel pumps and the station had a line of cars waiting for every gas pump. I was lucky to get to the diesel pump before it got really busy. A lady in a gasser manages to squeeze in behind me and waited while I fueld up. She was busy on her smartphone and not noticing that I was at a DIESEL pump. I thought about saying something but didn't. When I finally left, as I was pulling away I saw her pull up to the diesel pump and she gave me a priceless Whiskey Tango Foxtrot look and then a look of anger as she pulled away and had to get in line with the gassers.

Last edited:

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
LOL, I used to shop at WAL-MART before it became WAL*MART. I now shop at Walmart*. :D
I really hate Walmart's logo. It looks like a puckering anus. Which is appropriate because I always feel screwed when I shop there. (Also, once I tell people that, they can't unsee it.) :D

Their Murphy USA gas stations are only marginally better. A lot of them claim to have "the fastest pumps in town" which causes issues when I'm trying to top off tank. Their diesel nozzles and hoses are unusually stiff, too. The joints aren't flexible at all.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I've always told my daughters that Walmart should have Dante's warning over their doors. "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"

As far as the Murphys fuel, I've never run it in my CR TDI because I always got worse mileage in my 2000 beetle.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
I've always told my daughters that Walmart should have Dante's warning over their doors. "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"

As far as the Murphys fuel, I've never run it in my CR TDI because I always got worse mileage in my 2000 beetle.
Do the pumps there have stickers saying "up to 5% bio"? Most of the Murphy diesel pumps here say that and my mileage takes a small hit when I fill there. I just figured it was a penalty for using bio - none of it has ever given me good mileage.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Do the pumps there have stickers saying "up to 5% bio"? Most of the Murphy diesel pumps here say that and my mileage takes a small hit when I fill there. I just figured it was a penalty for using bio - none of it has ever given me good mileage.

The good thing is about a 2% biodiesel negatives the need for lubricant additives...
So at 5% you don't need extra lube....Might still be a good idea to use power service in the **** bottle too keep the water/moisture in suspension.....

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

The only place around me that I've seen the bio labels is the Love's in Fort Mill. They typically run about 10-15 cents higher per gallon so I don't do much business there. South Carolina was supposed to implement a minimum bio content of 5% but I don't see any declaration on the pumps. Bio has lower energy content than D2 but at only 5%, I don't think I've seen much difference in mileage the few times, I've run it.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Might still be a good idea to use power service in the **** bottle too keep the water/moisture in suspension.....
"white" is censored? rofl
ETA: huh guess not, wonder what kind of type would set off the word filter

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
"white" is censored? rofl
ETA: huh guess not, wonder what kind of type would set off the word filter
Lol...
White... White wonder if my auto correct made it something naughty?!
Nope....Maybe something got garbled ion the internet!!
Seriously, many states don't even require labeling bio-blends if they fall below a fixed %
Think it Massachusetts it's either 2 or 5%
The small independent station my employer buys diesel orders it with 2% bio in the summer for lube, and treats it with power service in the winter...
Just a tiny independent...But at one point we had 12 trucks each buying 100+ gallons each from him daily....And a couple other companies too....Full service too.

MP517PRCT

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, 2011 Touareg TDI Lux
Not at the "gas station" but a funny story nonetheless...

I at work yesterday morning when I get a phone call from the wife, she starts the call off with "...I just did the dumbest thing in my life!" The first thought that went through my mind was "...her Jetta has 3/4 of a tank, why did she stop at the gas station?" So, I responded "You put gas in the TDI?" To which she responded "no, I walked out of the house, locked the door behind me, then realized I left my keys in the house."

I had to leave work, drive home and unlock the house, but we got a good laugh out of the fact that my immediate response to "...I did the dumbest thing in my life..." was, "you put gas in the diesel?"

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Do the pumps there have stickers saying "up to 5% bio"? Most of the Murphy diesel pumps here say that and my mileage takes a small hit when I fill there.
Here in South Bend, Indiana the Murphy diesel pumps at my local Walmart have a sticker that says "contains between 5% to 25% of biodiesel". Don't know if this is an Indiana thing (I normally don't stop at Murphy/Walmart) or a recent change since you say Murphy pumps in your area say "up to 5% biodiesel content". Has anyone else seen the "between 5% to 25% of biodiesel" at their Murphy station?

n1das

TDI
I was filling my X5 35d up at Haffner's ("It Kicks!") in Hudson NH the other night and a riced up Subaru Forester was parked behind me at the gas pump. He said he loved the license plate (NH vanity BMW-X5D) and the "YES, IT'S A DIESEL" license plate frame. We talked for a minute or so and he was blown away by the X5's 600 mile tank range. I helped put things into perspective by mentioning that when I drive from NH to FL on vacation, my first fuel stop is not until I get down into Virginia. :cool: As I've mentioned many times in this thread before, mentioning tank range nails it every time. :cool:

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I was filling my X5 35d up at Haffner's ("It Kicks!") in Hudson NH the other night and a riced up Subaru Forester was parked behind me at the gas pump. He said he loved the license plate (NH vanity BMW-X5D) and the "YES, IT'S A DIESEL" license plate frame. We talked for a minute or so and he was blown away by the X5's 600 mile tank range. I helped put things into perspective by mentioning that when I drive from NH to FL on vacation, my first fuel stop is not until I get down into Virginia. :cool: As I've mentioned many times in this thread before, mentioning tank range nails it every time. :cool:
Tank range is something that I miss from my TDI.

I'll certainly get another diesel if my job pushes me to drive alot more.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Tank range is something that I miss from my TDI.
Me too. In summer, under decent conditions, mostly rural driving, not pushing it too hard, and I can squeeze 750 km out of my TSI's 50L tank. While the difference in fuel economy compared to my TDI isn't so bad (on the order of 1 L/100 km), the Mk VII has a 50L tank vs the Mk VI's 55L tank. That chops off, at my summer average, about 80 km of tank range, and on the highway, about 90 km. I used to easily get 1000 per tank on my TDI in "normal" driving, 1200 in a highway trip at the speed limit, and about 900 in winter. In winter, in my TSI, I'm lucky to get 650 km, and I usually fill when I hit 600 on the trip odometer in winter, 700 in summer.

I'll certainly get another diesel if my job pushes me to drive alot more.
Now THAT I don't have to worry about unless a big market crash wipes out my retirement savings account!

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
I filled my car this weekend while out driving with my son (learner's permit). Nothing strange or story-worthy occurred.

Just felt left out and wanted to share that... :p

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Me too. In summer, under decent conditions, mostly rural driving, not pushing it too hard, and I can squeeze 750 km out of my TSI's 50L tank. While the difference in fuel economy compared to my TDI isn't so bad (on the order of 1 L/100 km), the Mk VII has a 50L tank vs the Mk VI's 55L tank. That chops off, at my summer average, about 80 km of tank range, and on the highway, about 90 km. I used to easily get 1000 per tank on my TDI in "normal" driving, 1200 in a highway trip at the speed limit, and about 900 in winter. In winter, in my TSI, I'm lucky to get 650 km, and I usually fill when I hit 600 on the trip odometer in winter, 700 in summer.

Now THAT I don't have to worry about unless a big market crash wipes out my retirement savings account!
Indeed! That TSI is a frugal engine when you take it easy. Even in the sporty version of the engine that in my GTI. I typically drive not really caring about MPG I get about 320 miles out of 11 Gallons of Gas. That's really pushing it for range since the gas gauge is all the way on the lowest part of E at that point.

That's roughly 515km out of ~42L of gas.

I could get ~550 miles out of a full to the brim tank of diesel without even trying. Though that tank had 3-4 gallons of extra space :D

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Indeed! That TSI is a frugal engine when you take it easy. Even in the sporty version of the engine that in my GTI. I typically drive not really caring about MPG I get about 320 miles out of 11 Gallons of Gas. That's really pushing it for range since the gas gauge is all the way on the lowest part of E at that point.
That's roughly 515km out of ~42L of gas.
I could get ~550 miles out of a full to the brim tank of diesel without even trying. Though that tank had 3-4 gallons of extra space :D
One tip...
Overfilling a gas tank can get very $$$$ with modern cars. The charcoal vapor recovery canisters can get saturated and require a $$$ replacement. The extra space in the system is meant to add volume so when the gasoline expands or the car applies the vacuum to the tank system, liquid gasoline cannot get to the charcoal canisters. When overfilled, all bets are off.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
One tip...
Overfilling a gas tank can get very $$$$ with modern cars. The charcoal vapor recovery canisters can get saturated and require a $$$ replacement. The extra space in the system is meant to add volume so when the gasoline expands or the car applies the vacuum to the tank system, liquid gasoline cannot get to the charcoal canisters. When overfilled, all bets are off.
There's actually a recall on the EVAP system on the TSI. I'm waiting to get mine fixed but the parts (suction pump) are on backorder. One of the symptoms is the that it is impossible to completely fill the tank to rated capacity. You can actually squeeze an extra 10 L in but for the reasons you state, I only add another 5. If I didn't, the gauge won't even make it to full when I fill and range is ridiculously short, it's like having tank capacity amputated to 40-45 L. Supposedly the recall fixes this issue.

I figure if I can nurse in 10, but only put in 5, there's still a good 5 L of headspace for expansion.

Lots of people have been having this issue with under-filled tanks on the TSI.

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I still get to mess with the heads of the badas$ Jeep drivers when I fill up. I mean they think their rigs are all that until the math shows my TDI produces almost the same amount of torque their 6 cylinder engines do and almost three times the fuel economy.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
SO I was pumping the other day and these two teenage kids came up to me and said.... "there is a plug hanging out of your car." (zero start cord) They said "what is it for?" I told them it was an electric and that was a charging port. Their eyes got really big and they said, "really,......Awesome!" then I started to break character. They figured out I was messing with them. Very gullible youth these days....

Here is my cord... (drivers side bumper area) I shove it in the vent hole but sometimes it pops out. :)

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
One tip...
Good point. I should have been clearer...

I'm aware of the charcoal canisters of modern gasoline powered cars/trucks. I make it a rule to never fill more the the second "click". After the fuel pump clicks the first time I wait 10 seconds then hit it one more time. Normally gets a me 1/3 gallon extra. I have never and will never fill to the brim on my gasser.

Little things I miss about my diesel... :p