maximum oil level

jonesa41

TDI
1.9 golf
Hi, I am new to the forum and not sure whether this is the right thread to post this query. I had a pool of oil on the road outside the house, under the driver side wheel so I took my 07 plate 1.9 TDI to a garage, they said there was not one. I got the car back and again after 3 days and I had a small oil leak on 2 separate occasions so I bought some oil and filled about 1.2 litres (Castrol magnatec).I took it back to garage and they kept the car for 11 days and told me they had taken 9 litres of oil out of it which was causing the leak?? I am just wondering whether the car could hold 9 litres of oil, and if so what would the engine look like? as when I took it to the garage the engine was clean and running fine?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yeah, 9 L is double what it should be. The dipstick is very helpful in determining oil level.

jonesa41

TDI
1.9 golf
so it is possible the car can hold double the oil level without going all the way up the dipstick? as I said in the original post I only put 1.2 litres in and the dipstick showed fine

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I don't see any reference to the dipstick in the first post. In any case, it sounds like you over-filled seriously. The dipstick has a small hash marked zone on the end. That is the proper fill level.* Unless somebody has replaced the dipstick with an incorrect one.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
9 litres? I can't believe the engine would run with 9 litres of oil in it, with the crank slapping the oil...but I don't have an image about how much clearance between the crank and "normal" oil level.

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)
Castrol Magnatec I am guessing is not an appropriate oil for your TDI. Not knowing what year, and therefore what engine, your 1.9 L Golf is, go get your owner's manual to find out what oil specification VW recommends for your car (e.g., 505.00, 505.01, etc.). TDIs have specific performance needs that are not met by all oils. Get the correct oil from a dealer or a trusted on-line vendor, along with a new filter, drain, and re-fill with the approximately 4.5 liters of oil your car needs. Again, your owner's manual will specify this, and of course there is nearly endless information in this forum. Good luck.

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
Is there some reason for not keeping the right amount of oil in the engine? Or checking oil level with the dipstick (that's what it is for) before arbitrarily dumping more in?

Would you dump another quart of water in a drinking glass on top of whatever was in there to start with, and not expect it might overflow????