Help with electrical problem

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
I had the B4 sedan headliner recovered at a well-established local shop, been in business for decades, and used by local car dealers as well as individuals.

Drove it from the shop at close of business Friday and all appeared ok. Installer told me he had trouble with a couple of plastic trim pieces being brittle and with the sliding sunshade.

Today it started ok and everything seemed to work. After my first stop running errands, I noticed that the cluster digital widows were blank. The car started ok and the digital windows zeroed and repopulated. After starting to drive I noticed that:

1. The Radio had gone to SAFE.
2. The sunroof is now stuck open in the tilt mode and no longer works.
3. Central locking no longer works.
4. The instrument cluster red light stayed on indicating "open trunk lid" when lid was actually closed.
5. Instrument cluster digital windows go to blank every time I turn the engine off.

**** Please note that the car has a brand new VW battery installed approx 5 weeks ago.

I then searched the floor of the car and noted loose parts that I gathered. See below picture. I recognize the two rectangular tabs (they are for hanging trim strip at back edge of the headliner). I did not recognize the other pieces.

I will go back to headliner shop to complain on Monday morning. In the meantime, anyone knows what's going on?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The two lower left "clips" are parts used to install the A pillar interior trim.

I too would suggest that some wires in front are not where they should be. I'm not sure how the shop managed to make such a mess but apparently they did.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Just took a look at some of the CE2 wiring information, seems to be related to harness L; interior wiring harness. If it were my car I would check fuse 21 to see if it's blown.

Harness L covers several of your defective items and references fuse 21

L/07 Interior Lights, Diagnostic Connector, Central Locking, Power Sunroof Motor (1993+) Main Fusebox Battery Power, Fuse 21

If I go to info for fuse 21 it says this:

21 Luggage Compartment Light, Diagnostic Connector, Interior Light, Instrument Cluster (MFA and Clock memory)

Which seems to cover some of the inop items you have.

I'm still not convinced that the wiring above the headliner is not an issue but I would check the fuse too. I'm just not sure why they would have needed to disturb the sunroof / interior light wiring to do the headliner work. I do know on my B3V there's a ground up there that bolts to the roof structure.

At the very least they should have disconnected the battery when they began to dismantle the interior to pull the headliner, especially if they're not familiar with the car. Remember, voltage fluctuations / low voltage to this cluster can quickly ruin it!

Also, I can't remember, but if you have illuminated vanity mirrors there's wiring coming through there too.

Steve