New VW diesel engine

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
To your last thought, there is a guy that added an apu to his Tesla. Little gas powered generator that ran the whole time he wad making a cross country drive. Obnoxious loud thing. (I think he did it for the attention) it worked but needed some bugs hammered out. He still had to watch his speed and frequently needs to pull over to give the generator time to charge up the ev battery. This just brings up the point, you just made your ev a overly complicated hybrid. There's a you tube video from the guy.
I watched that video too. Looked like a fun project for the guy, if not very practical. His apu choice was loud, and probably not very fuel efficient or low emissions. Plus the setup would allow water intrusion into the trunk area every time it rained. Tesla has such a good charging network, that I don't see the need. Would be much easier to carry a whisper generator and a couple gallons of gas in the trunk for emergencies if your roadtrip takes you off the beaten path.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
There's a you tube video from the guy.
I wouldn't give him the clicks. Unfortunately, I did watch it and it's a completely worthless project. As you mentioned, the engine had to be running full time, and it was obnoxiously loud. He made no attempt at any sort of sound quieting for the engine. I would have hated being in the same hotel he stopped at. It wasn't efficient, and couldn't power the car on its own, so he was often in more of a limp mode.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, that he was able to make it work at all was kind of cool. Proof of concept at least.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
It popped up after I was looking up some videos on a gas powered emergency charger I saw at the American towman convention in Baltimore this year. Tat guy is one of them types that has lots of money and lots of time to do stuff. I need to give him credit for ingenuity, but it was obnoxiously loud. That would have killed for me straight off. It just really reaffirmed that hybrid tech is a better option.
I did recently hear that Tesla wasn't paying people that installed their chargers, so quite a few shut them off. Didn't bode well if there's any truth to it, but I guess the core issue is they are slow to charge and the lack of regular charging stations is also an issue. I'll just keep my old junk for now.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did recently hear that Tesla wasn't paying people that installed their chargers, so quite a few shut them off. Didn't bode well if there's any truth to it, but I guess the core issue is they are slow to charge and the lack of regular charging stations is also an issue. I'll just keep my old junk for now.
There is no truth to that, lol. There was an old video on YouTube of some old guy with dementia in Utah putting burlap sacks on Tesla charging stations because he forgot to cash his checks. That Beaver UT charging location has expanded a ton since then. The old guy is probably in a home by now. I'm keeping my old junk for now too, but my next new car will be electric.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
There is no truth to that, lol. There was an old video on YouTube of some old guy with dementia in Utah putting burlap sacks on Tesla charging stations because he forgot to cash his checks. That Beaver UT charging location has expanded a ton since then. The old guy is probably in a home by now. I'm keeping my old junk for now too, but my next new car will be electric.
Yeah, didn't know if it was true or not.
Can't say my next vehicle or even few vehicles will be electric. Too many variables that haven't been figured out, just from a charging standpoint alone, not considering battery replacement or any other maintenance costs. I want the ability to easily hit 500 miles on a tank, and be able to charge the battery in the same time as filling up a fuel tank. We're just not there yet.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Forget about new diesels, there may be no new ICE cars in a few years. I have enough ICE cars to last my lifetime, I'm about to be 81 LOL.
I wish good luck to all the auto dealers in the next 20 yrs, profits will be in the tank. Zero service on these new cars for at least 10 yrs..

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The labor shortage right now seems to be our biggest concern. I can't keep up.
Don't think that situation will improve. Young people aren't entering your, along with a lot of other professions. Body shops is another group that's struggling for workers.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
There's no push for vocational schools or hands on jobs these days, that was dieing when I was in school. Most jobs that require skilled physical workers are lacking employees these days.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Forget about new diesels, there may be no new ICE cars in a few years. I have enough ICE cars to last my lifetime, I'm about to be 81 LOL.
I wish good luck to all the auto dealers in the next 20 yrs, profits will be in the tank. Zero service on these new cars for at least 10 yrs..
Ok, it depends how you define a "few years". If up to 10 years there will be plenty of ICE new vehicles for sale. Granted, not light duty diesel vehicles but other fuel efficient choices such as hybrids.