Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

Lister

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Z4, 2007 Audi A3 RIP, 2013 Jetta Dirty Diesel, 2013 BMW 328i
^ there will be parts from about 400,000+ cars available...
Used parts I guess? They won't be manufacturing them, especially if VW is getting out of the diesel game, and these cars are going to the crusher

1sTDI

TDI
^ why would VW send them to the crusher when there are billions of dollars in "used" parts?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Sure, but do you need a stash of about half the total remaining on the road?? Enough fenders, doors, bumper covers, etc to replace half the total number out there without even considering that those vehicles themselves would supply even more spares as they age? Oversupply ...

ProPAL

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bora TDI GLS Black/Black & 2003 Golf TDI GLS Silver/Black
I'm still baffled by how many people are up in arms about the "Clean Diesel" Advertising. I would like to see a raise of hands of who of you gave NOx emissions a iota of thought when buying your car. When I went to the dealership, yes "Clean Diesel" Banners to be seen. But if memory serves, they also had white T-Shirts placed up against the tail pipes stating they don't go black like the old Diesels did.. Hence the claim Clean Diesel advertising. I would say they passed this test and continue to do so as my tailpipe still today looks like this....

NSFW: TDI Goatse for the faint Hearted

Last edited:

colezy9

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline
Is there any impact on the potential buyback if the car is parked and not registered/insured? If I did so, it would be parked in a safe, secure garage.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I'm still baffled by how many people are up in arms about the "Clean Diesel" Advertising. I would like to see a raise of hands of who of you gave NOx emissions a iota of thought when buying your car. When I went to the dealership, yes "Clean Diesel" Banners to be seen. But if memory serves, they also had white T-Shirts placed up against the tail pipes stating they don't go black like the old Diesels did.. Hence the claim Clean Diesel advertising. I would say they passed this test and continue to do so as my tailpipe still today looks like this....
]
I think you assume that people who are interested in the buyback are only the people who cannot bear driving not-so clean diesel with VW badge anymore.

Far from it ... not everyone's diesel has been trouble free after warranty (or actually before it). I cannot replace the car (before it asks for another fix money) because nobody will give you a fair trade-in. I am locked-in right now, against my will ... LOL

Would you consider that a good enough reason?

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Is there any impact on the potential buyback if the car is parked and not registered/insured? If I did so, it would be parked in a safe, secure garage.
No... just don't sell it or get it stolen or burned down or anything... Just keep it in your name and safe.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I cannot imagine what the impact would be, except for ... you will have to "deliver" the car on a flat bed or have it registered and insured for that one drive ...

Last edited:

colezy9

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline
I cannot imagine what the impact would be, except for ... you will have to "deliver" the car on a flat bed or have it registered and insured for that one drive ...
You can get a 24 hour temporary permit in my province (SK).

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
You can get a 24 hour temporary permit in my province (SK).
It's the same thing, still requires a trip to the MOT office and you still need insurance.

The temp permit is mainly good when a car changes hands, because you don't need a safety, so you can get to do your safety with a temp permit in hand ...

VangelisTDI

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline
A couple of days ago I sent an email to Transport Canada regarding this whole mess. Their reply was:

"Unfortunately, the Defect Investigation and Recalls Division is not in position to provide you with further information. The emission investigation is being handled by Environment Canada.
You may want to visit the website that has been in place from Volkswagen to inform consumers on the issue. You can consult the website at: https:www.vwemissionsinfo.ca/"

My friends...it looks like we're getting nowhere FAST!!

Has anyone else tried to contact Transport Canada or Environment Canada?

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
It's the same thing, still requires a trip to the MOT office and you still need insurance.
The temp permit is mainly good when a car changes hands, because you don't need a safety, so you can get to do your safety with a temp permit in hand ...
Use the free roadside from VW to tow the car to the dealer... then drive it 'over the threshhold'... Problem solved.

1sTDI

TDI
Seems to be radio silence everywhere... It doesn't matter, now, how good VW comes through for me. I won't be buying from them again. Looks like we will add another Subie to the stable.

bluetoy

TDI
2012 Passat
Why does everyone have such a hard time understanding a court ordered publication ban on details. Even if VW wanted to give us details they are not allowed by our courts.

1sTDI

TDI
It would be nice to have a hard deadline with a decision. After 14 months, of not knowing anything, we are still no further ahead here than at the beginning. That is not reasonable!

radoroc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf
Why does everyone have such a hard time understanding a court ordered publication ban on details. Even if VW wanted to give us details they are not allowed by our courts.
Why do you have a hard time understanding that there shouldn't be one as its very insulting and unnecessary, the US didn't do this BS. There are many things that could still be done without upsetting the stupid gag order, yet VW does nothing at all.

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
Why do you have a hard time understanding that there shouldn't be one as its very insulting and unnecessary, the US didn't do this BS. There are many things that could still be done without upsetting the stupid gag order, yet VW does nothing at all.

Actually the US did have a court gag in place before the agreement was announced in June.

VangelisTDI

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline
There was a lot of information coming out of the US pretty much on a daily basis. After 14 months, we do not know anything yet! In my opinion, as we live in a free society, that's unacceptable. After all, this matter is affecting about 500,000 Canadians....not a small detail. The court ordered silence doesn't make any sense other than to protect VW and maybe even our government's inability to match the US decision.

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
There was a lot of information coming out of the US pretty much on a daily basis. After 14 months, we do not know anything yet! In my opinion, as we live in a free society, that's unacceptable. After all, this matter is affecting about 500,000 Canadians....not a small detail. The court ordered silence doesn't make any sense other than to protect VW and maybe even our government's inability to match the US decision.
Yes there is a lot of information coming on a daily basis from the US. They are actually now starting their buy-backs, so of course there is all kinds of information.

Before the proposed settlement was released in the US (on June 28) there was a court ordered gag in place. There was similar griping from US TDI owners about how little information they were receiving. Its very normal to have gag orders in place while a settlement is being negotiated. Otherwise you get the parties negotiating by press release, which does not help.

bluetoy

TDI
2012 Passat

Blame the courts not VW.

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
I thought it was close to 500,000 in the U.S. and around 80,000-90,000 in Canada ? My apologies if I'm wrong.

1sTDI

TDI
Blame the courts not VW.

Blame the courts?? Why?
Who caused the issue?: VW
Who can solve the issue?: VW

VW could speed this along plenty if they wanted to play nice to their valued customers. Or, just maybe, we're not that valued...