What did you do to your car today?

Brokk

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 GLS TDI JETTA
Had the 17" Eight Rex wheels I got from a nice girl on Vortex mounted with new Michelin 225-45-R17 Exaltos for this summer. I love they way they look. I will take some pics if people want to see.

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
Installed my PhatBox. I bought it about 6 months ago and just now have had time to install it. Works great. Now I need to get my radio buttons unsticky. Previous owner must have loved to dump his pop on the radio. How do you clean something like that? I dont want to mess up the rubber feel as it still looks great, but I need the functionality of my radio buttons back.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Brokk said:
Had the 17" Eight Rex wheels I got from a nice girl on Vortex mounted with new Michelin 225-45-R17 Exaltos for this summer.
Those are really some of the best looking mk4 wheels out there. They are also one of the rarest of mk4 rims.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
Installed Nicktane fuel filter, oil change with valvoline oil, and new front akebono pads and ATE slotted rotors

still have to do rear GLI brakes and bleed brakes, plus tyrol front caliper stiffening kit

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
shucks, i got excited that you found a way to use stock carriers to run GTI brakes, but i see you did the carriers, but left the calipers alone

Sootman said:
Brakes are stock, what I upgraded were the rotors, pads and the carriers (on the back of the rotors-moves the caliper further away from the axle hub). Gives a larger surface area for the pads to work with. It's pretty noticeable.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
IBW is Back!

Picked up the wagon:

It was ready Monday but I waited until it stopped raining. Looks great. The whole nose is repainted, both fenders replaced, accident damage repaired. I'm good for another 225K, rogue Ford Fusions notwithstanding. :D

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
NICE!!!!

can't wait to see it in person

I take it wheel is not bent?

Brokk

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 GLS TDI JETTA
Eight Rex Wheels and Nice girl from Vortex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokk
Had the 17" Eight Rex wheels I got from a nice girl on Vortex mounted with new Michelin 225-45-R17 Exaltos for this summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_594
Those are really some of the best looking mk4 wheels out there. They are also one of the rarest of mk4 rims.
Thank you, David. It took my a long time to find a set and even longer to finally meet up to buy them. I did find that they were the default factory wheel for the 2004 VW Jetta GLI VR6's. Look one up on Autotrader.com and you will see them. If you choose any distance, Jetta and advanced options and 6 cylinder engine several should pop up. I tried calling a few dealerships to get them to sell me the wheels off a used car. None were interested.

I will wash my car tonight, take some new pictures, and post them tomorrow.

As for the girl from Vortex; I'm afraid I've got nothing for you.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
IndigoBlueWagon said:
Picked up the wagon:

It was ready Monday but I waited until it stopped raining. Looks great. The whole nose is repainted, both fenders replaced, accident damage repaired. I'm good for another 225K, rogue Ford Fusions notwithstanding. :D
No reason not to drive another 100K or 200K before the paint will need buff job. Looks great!!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Thanks. The repair shop was a little blown away by the condition and mileage. The owner said, "This car starts faster than any diesel I've ever been around," and then said "and it's not slow." Right about that. I'm thrilled to have it back.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
IndigoBlueWagon said:
Thanks. The repair shop was a little blown away by the condition and mileage. The owner said, "This car starts faster than any diesel I've ever been around," and then said "and it's not slow." Right about that. I'm thrilled to have it back.
LOL, nice! I got the same comments when my car went to the alignment shop and the tech took a test drive :cool: Today my injectors/nozzles landed at DBW for some work. Maybe my car will quit collecting dust in the garage and get out there this weekend to smoke some Pious's :p

onydag

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Had Mudguards Installed Today and Saw The Face of Evil

Maybe I'm a just a masochist, but I called the Stealership for a quote to have my mudguards installed.

Stealership quoted 247 bucks for installing front and rear mudguards.:eek:

"For that much money, I'm going to have to do it myself," I said.

Stealership representative put me on hold and apparently checked with the higher power before saying: "I can do it for 170." Perhaps he had a crisis of conscience.

5 minutes later I called a local custom shop, incidentally owned by the same people who own the Stealership, and they quoted 85 bucks to which I happily agreed..

Brokk

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 GLS TDI JETTA
Pictures or it didn't happen.

It was 44F and windy out but if I was going to post a picture I had to get all the winter dirt and grime off it. I will wash it again soon when it is a little warmer and wax it up nice.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Brokk said:
Thank you, David. It took my a long time to find a set and even longer to finally meet up to buy them. I did find that they were the default factory wheel for the 2004 VW Jetta GLI VR6's. Look one up on Autotrader.com and you will see them. If you choose any distance, Jetta and advanced options and 6 cylinder engine several should pop up. I tried calling a few dealerships to get them to sell me the wheels off a used car. None were interested.
The 04 GLI VR6 was a half year vehicle though before they went to the 1.8T GLI with all the nice toys.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Replaced the interior rear view mirror on the white Golf. A windshield replacement tech broke it trying to pry it off the old windshield, and I finally found a cheap one to replace it with. I also reinserted the 180 relay (glowplugs - playing games with the silver one) and changed the snows to summer tires.

The silver Golf is going to take a vacation until I get some parts - it needs a new cam & lifters (previous owner somewhere wasn't as good at servicing it as they claimed) and a timing belt kit. And other goodies, but that is future, so I'll post again on that later.

Cam lobes example:

Or another view:

Meanwhile, since I'll be driving the white one for a few weeks, it'll be fun driving a car that doesn't puff smoke on every start because it is in time. And the Koni FSDs are more fun than whatever is in the silver one.

Last edited:

Brokk

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 GLS TDI JETTA
I want you all to know that it snowed this morning and is raining now because I washed my car.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
finally replaced my injector seals...

Tick Tick Tick Tick still persists.. b ut goes away after you first pull and reseat the injectors, until the rpms/pressure go up. then it comes back.

Have an appointment to go see Bruce (Paramedick) next Friday for some hands on troubleshooting. ugh.

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
Growler,
Gee I wonder if you replaced those Sprints with same with Lot # ID tags if ticking goes away? LOL.
Just kidding, good luck sorting it out.

TopherDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
installed PP502s and Seat Cupra rear axle beam bushings. Nozzles were more exciting (first HP/TQ mod) but getting rid of the rear end clunk was quite satisfying.

Adjusted the IQ - set at 4.8 and timing to 3/4 advanced. Can't wait for the tune to match because I really like the direction we're headed in here with the extra power.

shagin'wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora
TopherDI said:
installed PP502s and Seat Cupra rear axle beam bushings. Nozzles were more exciting (first HP/TQ mod) but getting rid of the rear end clunk was quite satisfying.

Adjusted the IQ - set at 4.8 and timing to 3/4 advanced. Can't wait for the tune to match because I really like the direction we're headed in here with the extra power.
Wait till you find the joys of an upgraded turbo. :D