should i use a additive mixed in diesel ?

benieto

TDI
hello new to this forum the cold is upon us up here in thunder bay so my question for the board is would it be a good idea to run some kind of fuel aditive in cold winter months in my diesel tank or is it a lost cause like many say is snake oil.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
hello new to this forum the cold is upon us up here in thunder bay so my question for the board is would it be a good idea to run some kind of fuel aditive in cold winter months in my diesel tank or is it a lost cause like many say is snake oil.
Hello Welcome to the forum.! :)
Your from thunder Bay Canada i see from your post im down in hamilton,ont where its a little warmer in cold temp we never see -50 in late january. lol uhhm.. the oil companys all say diesel winter fuel has enough Pre-mixed ant-gel additive mixed in already but to air on the side of caution i would add some brand of anti-gel additive to the fuel come extreme cold temps in the following months just to be on the safe side.? some brands of of anti-gel even have fuel injector cleaner mixed in thats a win-win for You.:)

dhuddleson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Highline TDI sedan
Something that is readily available in most Auto Parts stores, and certainly Canadian Tire for you, is Power Service brand Diesel Fuel Supplement in 32oz and 80oz bottles. There is a summer (grey) and winter (white) version of these, with the white bottle providing extra anti-gelling/wax protection for cold weather. I put a "wine glass" amount in every tank full, maybe 2-4 oz.

benieto

TDI
Something that is readily available in most Auto Parts stores, and certainly Canadian Tire for you, is Power Service brand Diesel Fuel Supplement in 32oz and 80oz bottles. There is a summer (grey) and winter (white) version of these, with the white bottle providing extra anti-gelling/wax protection for cold weather. I put a "wine glass" amount in every tank full, maybe 2-4 oz.
wine glass full into tank i can do that for now. :)

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I also use the Power Service additives.

I add about 4 oz (US) of the conditioner (gray bottle) in warm weather.

I change to 4 oz (US) of the conditioner with Antijel plus 2 oz (US) of the conditioner for cold weather.

Rusdb705

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I worked in Northern Ontario, with a 99 Diesel Golf (almost new at the time) and was told:

Howes Lubricant - Diesel treat
https://www.howeslube.com/products/diesel-treat

was what you add to your diesel up in the north, as the Loggers were using it to start the Skidders in 55 below weather, a friend of mine confirmed it, he ran a Diesel Repair shop further south.
Obviously, I would use that.
Cheers