dumbest thing I've done to my B5.5 tdi

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
This thread might be fun. I'll start it off with wasting time trying to free up a seized engine block that really wasn't intended or designed to be rebuilt.

samspock

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005, Shadow Blue
Let my kids ride in the back seat. They broke the rear power plug and the ash tray the first few months I had it. I have yet to fix those. They also filled up the rear arm rest compartment with chex-mix.

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
Loaning the car to a relative. He got a flat on the freeway far from home, put the spare on, but forgot to put the wheel with the flat back in the car. He never said anything to me and returned the car after midnight, waking my wife and I up. Noticed the spare on in the morning and the missing wheel. Asked him about it and he had the "oh s*#t" look on his face. We went back in his car and never did find the wheel. He got me a replacement, but it had tons of roadrash on it. I made him get me a mint condition replacement with a new tire, but we have never spoken since. He gave me attitude, saying it's just a wheel, who cares? Well, I do, you idiot! It's been 4 years now...

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Spent money to fix it.
Balance shaft, fan belt idler bearing, upper control arms, windshield, CV boot, door switch repair, windshield washer jet, cam shaft, cam followers, cam bolts, CV boot, $1350 worth of rust remediation,...
I still don't like the car all that much.

Wobbly

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
A newish car parked right behind me, with its rear protruding into a no-parking zone, leaving me only a few inches to maneuver out of the parallel parking spot. I thought I'd teach him/her a lesson by backing up and leaving some scuffs in his/her bumper. The result of this teaching experience is that my bumper cover needs to be refinished.

Last edited:

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
This could have been the dumbest thing but I was lucky enough to catch it before I reassembled my engine.

I came very close to torquing down my new BSM with the tip of my dipstick wedged between the BSM and the block. I would not have been happy, if I reassembled the car and then found that I couldn't pull the dipstick.:eek:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Its good to "undumb" it before it turns situation turns brown