DSG Capacity and possible overfill?

Joshuawheat

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I am posting this up to try and find some insight on the actual fluid capacity limit of the dsg. I know that everyone seems to say "motor on" and just drive and enjoy it, but I know that us TDI owners are a little more critical than that. I just performed my first DSG (done by me) and I got the FCP euro liqui moly 8100 kit. The fluid seems to be great. The job was easy enough, but I am worried I may have slightly overfilled it? When doing the fluid check (engine on, run from PRNDS and back up to park), I waited until the car was at 35-37C and let the drain plug out. I waited until the stream slowed down substantially (not a full stream, but not single drips either) and tightened back up. I also did the clutch adaptation following. The car drives great in D (still sllightly firmer shifts first thing when cold, but not abnormal from what I can gather), but I notice in Manual tiptronic mode, the shifts seem a lot firmer than what I remember (maybe just being overly critical). Especially from 1-2. even when warmed up, WOT shifts in manual mode exhibit a slight "firm" shift, as in I feel it. It does not slip, and it shifts super fast WOT. I am just hoping I can get some DSG gurus to chime in and give me their thoughts and experience on if the dsg has some variance to the fluid level. I am also hoping to find if the firm shifting in manual mode is normal. This is my first DSG and I am always worrying about things.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Hmmmmmm how many miles on her? How long you have her? How was the old fluid and filter? That are the factors you forgot to mention. So we can help you better with those facts.

How many qt of fluids did you pour into?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joshuawheat

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Hmmmmmm how many miles on her? How long you have her? How was the old fluid and filter? That are the factors you forgot to mention. So we can help you better with those facts.

How many qt of fluids did you pour into?

The old fluid looked great, a little dark, but no debris, the filter was also perfectly clean (no metal or debris) miles on the car are 70,000. the old fluid had 30k miles on it. I put in 5 litres (per the kit) and drained maybe .3 liter or so back into a container? so it has (if I had to guess) 4.6-4.8 litres in it after I drained.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Yeah you are all good to go. :)

Joshuawheat

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I appreciate the answers so far! I am would still like to know everyone's input on the firm/hard shifting in manual mode (1-2 shift mainly). Is that normal of these dsg units?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI (sold), 2011 A3 TDI, 2015 A3 TDI (Returned)
If you have VCDS you can perform an adaptation for a subtle reset.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I like those solid-feeling shifts. If it makes you feel any better, the solid feel under hard acceleration is a lot closer to the feel I get from the S-tronic in my wife's A3.

Joshuawheat

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
If you have VCDS you can perform an adaptation for a subtle reset.
I have performed the clutch adaptation via vcds already. It made it a little more subtle under light and moderate throttle. But still firm under wot shifts

Joshuawheat

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I like those solid-feeling shifts. If it makes you feel any better, the solid feel under hard acceleration is a lot closer to the feel I get from the S-tronic in my wife's A3.
I like solid shifts but I don't remember them being like that before which is why I feel concerned about it. It may not even be a bad thing

Joshuawheat

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
So, update on the DSG shifting issue that I was encountering. I decided after having harder shifts in manual mode that I would check the fluid level again. so I checked the fluid level and it seemed okay, and it was just barely dribbling out at 35 degrees Celsius so I button it up and drive it. So I go in and try to add a little bit of fluid today and got the bright idea to buy another filter and change it out so after changing the filter the shifts in manual mode seem to be a lot smoother. The old filter looked fine and it was an OE filter but I am guessing maybe internally or in the manufacturing process something happened to it and i needed a new filter. I will keep monitoring it over the next few days and hopefully the shifts stay a lot smoother. I will do more aggressive pulls tomorrow to test.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
The basic tenets of physics and fluid dynamics make it hard to see how a filter change alone would change shifting characteristics, but if that's what you got...that's all that matters.

Joshuawheat

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
The basic tenets of physics and fluid dynamics make it hard to see how a filter change alone would change shifting characteristics, but if that's what you got...that's all that matters.
Well I think maybe there could have been a defect in the filter I originally got with my service kit. Maybe it was partially collapsed?? Idk but I do believe the shifts to be smoother. I will do more testing through the weekend

Joshuawheat

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Just in case anyone still may follow this thread, I have long term analysis of my firm shifts. The dsg really seems to like shifting at certain rpms in every gear when in manual mode. I have experimented and have found rpms that shift very smooth in manual mode. So if you change the fluid or find that the dsg is firm shifting in manual mode, experiment with shifting at different rpms. I find that from 1-2 upshifts, the dsg likes 1800-2k rpm. 2-3, either shift before 2k rpm or shift around 3500, same with 3-4, either before 2k or around 3500. 4-5 and 5-6 aren't so picky and the momentum of the car at that point really absorbs any firmness.