www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old October 21st, 2019, 17:43   #1
PeterC
Default Does thi sound right?

Hello,
We bought our second Passat TDI a few weeks ago.
I posted here about an issue with the radio and what the dealer had done.
This was a buy back car 2015 with 2300 miles. Found its way to a used lot in New Mexico. They go through a lot of TDIs.
There was a complaint that the radio didn't work so they replaced it.
We bought the car anyway and everything seemed fine except that the rear view camera didn't work and when you turn on the radio it doesn't identify as a Fender sound system.

We also have a 2013 so I have something to compare.
Initially the dealer said that this wasn't covered under their warranty but their service manager got involved and was very gracious. Told me to take it to the dealer and they would pay for it.
However, the dealer has said that they need a disc to upgrade the radio (RNS 510) but they are having difficulty getting the disc?
Could it be as simple as a firmware update?
Car is great though it has some dings in the trunk and the roof. I suspect they are from hail or traveling all over the country on the back of a truck.
Also the "Ns" are missing from the start button.
53.5 MPG on our last 450 mile trip from Nevada to So Cal which is exactly why we have two of them.
Still waiting for dealer to get disc but was considering buying one on EBAY.

Thanks in advance.P
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 17:09   #2
06bluebeetletdi
Veteran Member

Did you verify this is a 2015 radio? Or was this the one from a 2012? 12s did not have reverse cameras due to the tsunami in japan.
06bluebeetletdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 17:19   #3
06bluebeetletdi
Veteran Member

Is it doing this?

Or constantly rebooting? The key thing is to find out which radio you have (as in part #), thereís videos that show how to get part #/ version info. The update for a 14/15 may brick an older radio.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 18:31   #4
PeterC
Default Not sure

Originally they said that they were going to put in a 2015 radio then said they put in a 2014 then said it was current.
Our problem was that my wife was flying to Albuquerque to get the car and then driving 1000 miles home; so we couldn't really be as discerning as I would have liked.
The salesman told me that the car had one scratch (that would likely buff out) I'm taking the dings as penance for not seeing it before buying it. Still a pretty car though.

I didn't realize that tsunami's could take out rear view cameras. Makes sense though. Racing from a tidal wave wouldn't require seeing behind you, too scary.
The dealer seemed to think that the disc would right the world. I would think they would be able to go in and do all of the "coding" to fix it but that's what I get for thinking.
I also can't imagine that they wouldn't have quick and easy access to the disc.
Thanks,
Oh, it seems to work fine. No re-booting or funny screen, just no backup camera and I don't think I'm getting Fender sound. I need the backup camera to work so that my wife doesn't have and excuse for backing into my truck, again. The last time she did it I could at least rail about her not paying attention to the backup camera. The first two times she did it she could blame the lack of a backup camera in her Acura.
P

Last edited by PeterC; October 22nd, 2019 at 18:41. Reason: Forgot to answer question
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 18:53   #5
06bluebeetletdi
Veteran Member

This thread explains which part # (last letter) goes to which year. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=396449
I installed a rns315 with fender and back up camera into my 13 beetle, the beetle doesnít have fender or a camera, yet every time I put it in reverse, the radio shows a black camera view. Thatís why I would want to know part #.
Old October 25th, 2019, 08:29   #6
740GLE
Veteran Member

The radio popping over to reverse camera is coded into the radio and can be modified via VCDS. You could disable it for the beetle.

For the OP be glad those "N"s are missing on the start button, it saved you the bandaids when you got stabbed when the lifted off.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote