98 tdi cold start -30 no problem but doesn't start at 15C in the garage

n1d0n

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf tdi wolfsburg and 1986 toyota pickup SASed AHU tdi
Good morning everyone,

I have been having issues with morning starts with my motor for a while now and since its getting worse and I have time I thought that I would try to find the issue.

I have a 1998 tdi motor in my 1986 toyota pickup and its been doing great but since the cold temperature started I like to put the truck in the garage just because it takes less time to get hot when you start it but for the last couple days I leave it outside because it starts easier.

The issues is that it does not start when its inside the garage at 15Celcius but it starts right away when its sitting outside in the cold. Also after the motor started and its hot it will start with no problem.

Yesterday morning was really really cold almost -30 with wind and I let the glow plug cycle and it started right away so then when I came back yesterday evening I parked it in the garage because we had some guest at our house but when I went to start it this morning I waited for the glow plugs again and the engine turn but it crank for so long that I drain my baterry out completely then I have to boost the truck until it starts theres a little bit of smoke when I crank so I really don't know what could be the issue.

Please help?

I am probably missing some info but just let me know and I will provide it!

Thanks,

Marc-André

n1d0n

Veteran Member
TDI
I also thought I should add that I think I should replace my starter as it doesn't crank fast and it kills my batterie in like 6 seconds..

I have 2 new batterie and both of them were fully charged and they are now both dead..

Could it be a starter issue??

again it starts without any issue outside.

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
The only thing I can think of is that your glow plugs are not fully heating up in the garage but out in the colder temps they are activating for the maximum amount of time.

Next time when you park the truck in the garage disconnect your coolant temp sensor. This will tell the glow plugs to maximally activate. See if the truck starts easier. If it does then it may be that even though your truck is out in the cold the combustion chamber is actually warmer since the truck was below the temp threshold where the GP activate.

I also cycle my glow plugs for 2-3 times prior to cranking the engine in an attempt to better heat the combustion chamber.

I'm sure others will respond with better ideas but this is at least a start.

I'm not sure you need a new starter...sounds like you are draining your battteries. Are they rated high enough to handle the TDI engine in the cold. The more CCA (or Amp-hrs...whichever you like to use to measure battery capacity) the better.

Keep us updated on your progress.

n1d0n

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks a lot for the reply Schultp.

What I did is I went and bought a new starter as this was even turning anymore... after I wrote this... it seized..

I installed the new one and it started right away in the garage.. without letting the glow plug go.

Someone told me that I might have a compression issue.

I will have to investigate more but atleast now it started easily with the new starter.

Marc