cruise control problem

commanderjjones

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS, silver 5-speed
Over the last few years my cruise has become increasingly difficult to engage. I assume that they work off of vacuum, similar to a gas engine??? Even after I replaced all of the vacuum lines a couple years ago, still no change. Now it's getting to the point that attempting to use it is about more hassle than it's worth. I drive a 100 mile round trip (75% highway) to work everyday, so I'd really like to fix it. Any ideas what to look for to correct this problem?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Nothing to do with vacuum.
Might have a bad brake or clutch switch or stalk switch.
Need to check group 6 of the engine controller with vcds for function.

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
Ditto above. Old cruise controls used vacuum, but this one is totally electronic, through the computer.

I had an issue with mine -- notwithstanding the dealer's diagnosis of "all switches read good, must be in the wiring, $135, please..." I bit the bullet & bought the VCDS software. Turned out to be a minute crack in one contact blade of the clutch switch. (I took the switch back to them & showed them the broken blade.) A new switch cured it, no further problems.

When you attempt to engage CC, what do you see? (Does the CC light come on at all?)

TDI-WNC

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5-speed
Ditto above. Old cruise controls used vacuum, but this one is totally electronic, through the computer.

I had an issue with mine -- notwithstanding the dealer's diagnosis of "all switches read good, must be in the wiring, $135, please..." I bit the bullet & bought the VCDS software. Turned out to be a minute crack in one contact blade of the clutch switch. (I took the switch back to them & showed them the broken blade.) A new switch cured it, no further problems.

When you attempt to engage CC, what do you see? (Does the CC light come on at all?)
My 2000 Jetta TDI does not have a CC light, but the system works find.

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
try pulling the rod on the cruise switch on the clutch... it ratchets out.. got my cruise working.