CCV pressure regulator

terrman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta gls 02 pearl white
i was wondering with all the diffrent mods regurding the CCV system what exactly does the CCV pressure regulator do? is it safe to run without it?

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
It's an emmission control device. It vents crankcase vapors back to the intake to be burned. If you took if off and left an open hole on top of your motor, chances are you will injest something into the crankcase. Also, the oil vapors and condensation will make the inside of the engine compartment a mess.

mailman

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Black Jetta TDI
Under steady state engine operation the CCV connection to the intake manifold will see vacuum because it is located upstream of the compressor. However, after suddenly removing your foot from the accelerator at high engine rpm the intake manifold pressure will be momentarily high due to compressor surge. We don't want this high pressure to get into our crankcases with all the low volatity fumes .. that would be a recipe for an explosion! In order to eliminate this risk of explosion, the engineers at VW installed the CCV pressure regulator (a.k.a. Hockey Puck) that seats under increasing intake manifold pressure.

BGUERIN

Veteran Member
I'm a little confused. When you say hockey puck do you mean the black thing on the valve cover. I can blow into this from either end and nothing happens. How does it stop the high pressure? If I did a CCV mod then I still have to keep the "hockey puck" in the circuit?

mailman

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Black Jetta TDI
Originally posted by BGUERIN:
I'm a little confused. When you say hockey puck do you mean the black thing on the valve cover. I can blow into this from either end and nothing happens. How does it stop the high pressure? If I did a CCV mod then I still have to keep the "hockey puck" in the circuit?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, I am referring to the black thing on the valve cover that resembles ... well ... a hockey puck. While I have never attempted to blow into my valve, I can only deduce that perhaps your valve is gunked up and stuck in the "open" position.

If you perform the CCV mod as detailed in this forum, the crankcase would no longer be connected to the intake manifold (i.e., vented to atmospheric pressure), so the hockey puck can go.