2002 Jetta ALH post race pipe ?'s

ALLTQTDI

TDI
2002 Jetta 5-Speed
I would first like to start off by thanking everyone one on the forum for all the info I am able to read about for any questions I have had so far up until now. I just performed an EGR delete/ race pipe install using the DieselGeek kit. Everything went smoothly with the install minus a few busted knuckles :). But once I finished the install of the block off plate and the race pipe, there was 2 of what im assuming to be vacuum hoses that was attached to the top of the old EGR valve and another that was connected to the black plastic valve mounted to the side of the EGR. I blocked them off with screws so that they were not just sucking in hot air. Now, I noticed that every time I turn off the engine, it jerks a fair amount. Much more noticeable than before. Is this supposed to happen? Do I need to bypass those vacuum lines? Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks again.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The jerking when you turn off the engine is perfectly normal for a race pipe.

You've eliminated your ASV (anti-shudder valve) - the purpose of which is to shut down the engine smoothly by starving it of air. Now that it's gone, your engine is compressing air when it shuts down, resulting in a slight jerk... nothing to worry about.

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
Hate to bring up an old thread, but I'm about to install a racepipe and just wanted to make sure that with those extra hoses, I just stuff a screw in them? Already had the cooler removed awhile back, but now the egr is leaking bad, so I"m just going to delete it. Got a racepipe, but it is literally just a metal tube and gasket. Didn't seem like enough. So just wanted to double check. We'll see how it goes on Saturday when I do it!!

ScottySK

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS
Plug vacuum line, block egr port on exhaust manifold and delete cooler lines. You'll need 3/4" barb fittings & hose clamps for that.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
The EGR valve has two functions:
Permits a metered amount of exhaust gases to pass into the intake manifold
The EGR valve also operates as the "Change Over Valve".
This is the butterfly portion of the EGR valve. This valve acts to restrict air flow into the engine upon engine shut-down. This is the valve that stops engine rotation by cutting off the air supply.

Delete the EGR / Change-Over valve and your engine will rotate about 2 revolutions during engine shut down.

I would rather keep the change-over valve and delete just the EGR portion of the valve.
aka The Stealth Race Pipe

Bert0925

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, 2003 Jetta TDI
I agree on keeping the ASV function, but if the race pipe is already installed may as well get rid of loose vacuum lines instead of blocking them off

Last edited:

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
Well the reason I'm considering the race pipe is because I already have the EGR cooler deleted. My EGR valve is currently leaking like crazy all over the engine bay. I kept the EGR for the anti-shutter valve while I had the autotragic. I have since swapped to a 5spd and figure, since it's leaking, and now I have a 5spd, I might as well delete it.

If there are better options let me know. I'm open to suggestions. I just need to get the oil leak under control.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Once the stock (leaking) EGR valve is modified there is nothing left that could leak.
I've deleted the EGR cooler on my own Mk-4 and kept the ASV portion of the valve operational.