Horrible rattling noise from engine - then it went away

CincySoot

TDI
2001 Jetta
3 days and 15 miles ago, a foreign car repair shop replaced the alternator in my 2001 jetta tdi (ALH) 5-speed with 200,000 miles. This morning driving to work I suddenly started hearing a metallic knocking / rattling / ticking that changed with engine rpms. I did not notice any loss of power with this. I pulled off, stopped the engine and restarted. Noise still there. Opened the hood and it was a scary loud metalic clacking. Nothing was visibly shaking loose (any more than normal vibrations). The tensioner "rod" was not bouncing around. The sepentine belt appeared to track normally. The alternator and AC compressor were not shaking. Shut if off again. Oil level fine. Coolant level fine. Half a tank of fuel and ambiant temperatures in the mid 60s(F).

I drove it back to the shop that did the alternator work, but before I even got there the noise stopped. It's running normally now. Total duration of the sound was about 1 minute of engine running time. The shop wasn't open yet anyway, so I drove it work without further incident. Timing belt is not frayed or making any roller "swishing" noises.

What could have caused that problem?? I'm fearful wondering if something is damaged and will it happen again. The sound made me think of bad things like broken injector pump, bent rod, stuck valve, dead valve hitting the piston, timing belt skipped a tooth... When I get home I'll check the timing on the VCDS. What could this be?

Any theories, warnings, or further diagnostic tests to try would be most welcome. Threads here suggest the alterator pulley, but that always seems to coincide with the belt jumping around(?)

More maintenance history: The timing belt was replace (on schedule) by me at 180,000m, plus t-belt tensioner, water pump, etc.. Nothing unusual to report about that job. The car used to be a greasecar, but at about 190,000m I took that system out because of lack of use lately / lack of fuel / wearing out hoses. At that time I replaced the injector pump seals that had just started leaking. Cleaned out a few gummy WVO bits that formed up in the oxygen-exposed areas of the pump. (Enjoyed using the hammer-mod to get the injection quantity just right). Replace the fuel filter around then too. Nothing else to report until the battery and alternator failed last week and I used this shop (for the first time) to replace the alternator.

tophergrace

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
3 days and 15 miles ago, a foreign car repair shop replaced the alternator in my 2001 jetta tdi (ALH) 5-speed with 200,000 miles. This morning driving to work I suddenly started hearing a metallic knocking / rattling / ticking that changed with engine rpms. I did not notice any loss of power with this. I pulled off, stopped the engine and restarted. Noise still there. Opened the hood and it was a scary loud metalic clacking. Nothing was visibly shaking loose (any more than normal vibrations). The tensioner "rod" was not bouncing around. The sepentine belt appeared to track normally. The alternator and AC compressor were not shaking. Shut if off again. Oil level fine. Coolant level fine. Half a tank of fuel and ambiant temperatures in the mid 60s(F).

I drove it back to the shop that did the alternator work, but before I even got there the noise stopped. It's running normally now. Total duration of the sound was about 1 minute of engine running time. The shop wasn't open yet anyway, so I drove it work without further incident. Timing belt is not frayed or making any roller "swishing" noises.

What could have caused that problem?? I'm fearful wondering if something is damaged and will it happen again. The sound made me think of bad things like broken injector pump, bent rod, stuck valve, dead valve hitting the piston, timing belt skipped a tooth... When I get home I'll check the timing on the VCDS. What could this be?

Any theories, warnings, or further diagnostic tests to try would be most welcome. Threads here suggest the alterator pulley, but that always seems to coincide with the belt jumping around(?)

More maintenance history: The timing belt was replace (on schedule) by me at 180,000m, plus t-belt tensioner, water pump, etc.. Nothing unusual to report about that job. The car used to be a greasecar, but at about 190,000m I took that system out because of lack of use lately / lack of fuel / wearing out hoses. At that time I replaced the injector pump seals that had just started leaking. Cleaned out a few gummy WVO bits that formed up in the oxygen-exposed areas of the pump. (Enjoyed using the hammer-mod to get the injection quantity just right). Replace the fuel filter around then too. Nothing else to report until the battery and alternator failed last week and I used this shop (for the first time) to replace the alternator.

It may have been a tool that someone left in the engine bay, I can say I've done that before

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
my thought exactly. can you go back to where it stopped and look for stray wrenches?

CincySoot

TDI
2001 Jetta
Brilliant! I never thought of that in my panic. Now even if I never solve the mystery, I've got a reasonable and benign explanation. I'll check yhe road tomorrow. Thanks for the common sense!

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Inspect that "new" alternator. Many shops are installing "China" parts. The replacement alternator may have a solid pulley (cheap) in place of the more expensive clutched pulley.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Or the clutched pulley may have been poor quality and quickly failed.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
note....even if it was a tool that does not necessarily mean that there was no lasting damage done!
May also have been a loose bolt that rattled out.
I would bring it back to the shop and explain what happened and have them put the car on the hoist and do a thorough inspection anyway.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
What the others said about the alt. Could have damaged the plastic roller.

coh

TDI
2002 Golf Silver
I wanted to follow up on this thread because I'm having a similar "sound".

A while back I started noticing that on colder mornings, my alternator was not "coming on" immediately upon starting the engine. The battery light would come on and the scan gauge would not turn on. After a few seconds (maybe 3-5) there would be a "clunk" and the battery light would go off and the scan gauge kicked in, showing normal charging (around 14 V).

I have an appointment with my mechanic, but he is pretty popular and I still have a week before he gets to my car. In the meantime, the problem has gotten worse. Now, on cold mornings, not only does the alternator not turn on right away, I'm hearing a horrible clanging/clunking sound, kind of like you were dragging a bunch of tin cans behind the car (or perhaps put them in the dryer). This sound goes on for 5-10 seconds, followed by a "clunk" and the alternator turns on.

Any idea what is going on? Once the care is warmed up, the problem does not occur again until the next cold start. I'm not sure if this is a serious problem (it sure sounds like it before the alternator clunks on) that means I shouldn't use the car until the mechanic gets to it. Any thoughts?

2002 TDI Golf with about 140K miles. Alternator was replaced a few years ago. This problem has developed fairly recently.

Thanks,

Chris

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
sounds like it could be the alternator pulley....they can fly apart and cause other damage if let go to long.