Misfire running on 3 cylinders

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Pasatt TDI , 2008 Mercdes E-320 Bluetec, 1983 300D mercedes (Sold :-(
No regrets in Life. Make your decision and move on.:p

Now anyone know what the torque spec is on those stretch bolts for the rod.
I found 22 lbs plus 1/4 turn but that was the 1.9

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks guys for the replies. Thunder I didn't mean to be so short. Obviously you are right as far as changing out the rings and bearings and I know you are only trying to help and I appreciate it.

But this is not a show car or a complete rebuild. At best its a bandage and ahot of cortisol and back on the ice.
For a perfectionist like yourself its probably painful to watch this skulduggery:p

I got it honed and the piston fitted. I also noticed the telltale sign of coolant leakage on the bottom of oil cooler. I'm not sure if its from the connection on top where the frost heater is connected or the cooler itself.
These have been known to leak so I may change it.

[/IMG]

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks guys for the replies. Thunder I didn't mean to be so short. Obviously you are right as far as changing out the rings and bearings and I know you are only trying to help and I appreciate it.
But this is not a show car or a complete rebuild. At best its a bandage and a shot of cortisol and back on the ice.
For a perfectionist like yourself its probably painful to watch this skulduggery:p
I got it honed and the piston fitted. I also noticed the telltale sign of coolant leakage on the bottom of oil cooler. I'm not sure if its from the connection on top where the frost heater is connected or the cooler itself.
These have been known to leak so I may change it.
[/IMG]
This a shot of the coolant stain on bottom of oil cooler.
[/IMG]

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I guess I was only suggesting the additional few bucks spent to increase the chances of a successful repair. Its an awful lot of time and work you've done so far and it would be a shame to have to do it again. After all, you.ve saved a bit by doing it yourself and the used piston you found looked very good. The problem is the used rings no longer have the tension or surface finish to break in to the cyl and seat properly.

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
06' Jetta TDI dsg, 445,000 miles and counting!
^^^
Not only that but blow-by will be worse due to the increased ring gaps assuming you properly honed the cylinder and the rings are able to seat. I know in the gasser world, I have seen rings gaps double after break-in. Not a good thing when using a used set of rings with more than likely higher mileage. Oh well no regrets, I hope it works out for you...

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
well it doesn't appear to have the 30 degree crosshatch, at least not from pics.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Ya I didn't see that.. looks like the lines just go around.. not enough up and down movement in relation to the rotation.. Hopefully it's just the picture..

Edit.. mine look like this..

Last edited:

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok you guys are getting to me here.:p

I didn't torque this down yet and its wet out next few days so I might get the rings.
Jason did I read something from you somewhere that the rings from a gasser fits this bore.?
If not whats the best source and fast delivery?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Try Bora, ID or your dealer. Dealer may be best and quickest bet

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Vr6 oil rings will work, but the compression rings are different. I have 2 pistons of oil rings left from the last one I needed oil rings for

Last I checked the local dealer here it was $200 per piston for the rings

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you are going to remove piston and hone correctly, replace rings, and for goodness sake new bearing shells. they aren't expensive, I would measure skirt clearance both top and bottom of bore, I can't tell if that dark grove near top of cyl is erosion from water or is remaining ridge showing cyl wear. since it wasn't measured, at least measure skirt clearance both top and bottom of bore to see if its close to allowable spec.you can use feeler gauges. I didn't look to see what spec was, but I'd guess something less than .005in

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
check skirt clearance to see if its close to allowable spec, both top and bottom. the dart area at top of bore may be erosion from water, or remnant of wear ridge.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you are going to remove piston and hone correctly, replace rings, and for goodness sake new bearing shells. they aren't expensive, I would measure skirt clearance both top and bottom of bore, I can't tell if that dark grove near top of cyl is erosion from water or is remaining ridge showing cyl wear. since it wasn't measured, at least measure skirt clearance both top and bottom of bore to see if its close to allowable spec.you can use feeler gauges. I didn't look to see what spec was, but I'd guess something less than .005in
at $54 for 2 rod bearing shells from VW, if the old ones don't show any significant wear, I'd re-use them.. These aren't cheap ALH bearings LOL..

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah the bearings are one of those things. You want to change them for good measure since you are in there but technically they should never come into contact with anything but a nice protective film of oil. Sometimes rod bearings look brand new leaving no real reason to replace them and yet sometimes there is obvious wear. Use your best judgment and maybe some plasti-gauge to make sure clearances are correct.

In my book, I usually just run new. :D

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You can poke the piston in the bore when the rings are off upside down to ck skirt clearance from top rather than do it from under car.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Remember guys, he's not looking for this thing to be new again.. If that were the case, the engine would be out and it would have gotten 4 new pistons .5mm oversize, head refreshed, etc... The goal is for it to run again.. If the piston is a little loose in the bore it'll run just fine, and with new rings it won't go through any substantial amount of oil as long as they seat in..

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Just a veer from the topic but last time I checked, they do not offer 0.5mm oversize pistons for the BHW. That was about 3 years ago though.

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I'm getting a ball hone to do this properly. I had the tripod type and it cleaned but couldn't achieve that nice cross hatch like in Jason's picture.

Now I'm almost afraid to post this picture as I can hear the advice but here goes.

I imagine the tip of glow plug got smashed and managed to make its way out through the valve. It seems to be seating OK but whats the worst case scenario?

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
with valves closed on #4, check by pouring a little kerosene or gas into the intake and exhaust port and see how much valves are leaking. if you add some food coloring it will leave a stain for you to see.

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
Well you know you had headgasket issues in the past which is something you should address now since you have the head off. Now that you are questioning one of the valve seats your need is further justified.

You really should have your head checked by a competent mechanic BEFORE you put it all back together.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would agree, it may have a bit of warp as well as the obvious erosion which could ruin your whole day. Cam chamfers look ok?

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
Well you know you had headgasket issues in the past which is something you should address now since you have the head off. Now that you are questioning one of the valve seats your need is further justified.
You really should have your head checked by a competent mechanic BEFORE you put it all back together.
You're correct in saying I need my head checked, but by someone in a white coat I'm afraid.:p
For what its worth the head looks straight with straight edge and feeler
Gauge method.

This was much easier to work on back in the day, right Thunder?

This was for sale I think Staten Island, 10k plus. Nice looking Morris.

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
my first car was a rhd Morris convertible, 27hp, thermosyphon cooling. It met an untimely end when my friend t-boned me with a Buick, and I ended upside down in a ditch. A 200 dollar car at the time.

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
Had a Morris miniminor once sliding windows and engine trans and diff all one unit crossways.
Had to keep a rubber glove with holes poked out of the finger ends to pull over the distributer cap
Had to keep smacking the fuel pump under the back end to get it to work.
That of course always happened when I was all dressed up to go somewhere!