Need help with TDI purchase

MajorMajor

Well I'm sure you guys get these posts all the time, but I'm hoping I'll get some helpful replies.

I'm happy as a pig in you know what with my Integra GS-R, but my gf is considering the purchase of a Golf GLS TDI. This would be her first car. It appeals to her(us) for the reliability, safety, and of course the fuel economy and performance. I have a few questions relating to the car that I hope someone can help me with.

1) Price: We'd be ordering the car from the dealer(no one has it on their lot). It's my understanding that when you order a car you can drive a harder bargain. How close to invoice should we aim for? We live in northern VA, very close to DC if that matters.

2) Fuel availabilty/quality: I think that considering how infrequently you have to fuel up it wouldnt be that much of a problem getting diesel, but hows the quality? I've seen some people here concerned that the diesel we have in the US isnt that great. How much is this going to impact the performance or life of the car? Is there any way to insure that you're getting good diesel from the pump?

3) Maintenance: They say that this engine will run to 1,000,000 miles, which I think is just awesome. But I'm wondering what sort of maintenance is required? My gf isnt mechanically inclined at all, so all maintenance would likely be done by the dealer. Are the service intervals/prices comparable to a gasoline car, or worse?

She's skeptical of buying a diesel, but I really think that the reliability and low fuel costs would sway her, provided there's no major drawbacks.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

justme

Veteran Member
1. Yes, having just found a TDI Golf to purchase I found that many, but not all, dealers who didn't actually have the car were more willing to bargain than those who did have it or could get one. (BTW, last weekend my dad saw a black golf GLS at Pitcairn VW in PA, which is kind of mid-atlantic).
2.Out of probably 450k miles of diesel VW driving between me and my wife, there's only one time I remember that was really a problem finding fuel -- but I was younger and stupider then, and the old diesel Rabbit had a smaller tank. As for quality, I think the biggest issue here is that it means we can't get the newest and best TDI engines in this country because they require lower sulpher fuel. I personally haven't taken my intake apart to see if it's been a problem for me, but it hasn't that I know of. BTW, gas quality can be an issue for gas cars too. They can suffer from carbon deposits and lack of detergency.

3.The service intervals and costs are comparable to gas cars, maybe lower. (My gas passat is very picky about spark plug wires, and I spend more on them than on timing belts for the TDI. I use good synthetic oil in both cars.). It's critical to follow the intervals with oil, filter, and timing belt changes -- you can't let them slide -- but that's about it. Neglecting service on the gas car can mean a no-start situation, and then you have to pay attention (like if your ignition system needs work). The TDI will keep running but will only suffer in its ultimate longevity. So you have to pay attention to the service schedule.

All in all it's certainly a great car. I just bought another one, a Golf, making us a two TDI family. Hope she enjoys hers.

tommy37

Veteran Member
I suggest you call Koons VW in Marlow Heights, MD, and ask for Mr. Allison in VW Sales. He was my salesman and he was most impressive. Also, he located my car in Baltimore as they no longer had my preference on the lot.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Whatever you do, don't go to Alexandria VW.

Good luck!

------------------
Rob
2000 Golf GLS TDI (UPsolute chip; VNT turbo tweak; K&N; extra brake lights; 50W back-up lights; Euro map lights; de-screened; upgraded Relay 109; euro badge (red "DI"))
2000 Passat GLS Variant 1.8T (UPsolute chip; Forge DV; K&N; extra brake lights; 50W back-up lights; Euro map lights; Thule rack & ski box)
Studded Nokian Hakka 1's on both

DzlJuce

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
Or talk to Larry Schiro at Fairfax VW. Tell him I sent you - we go back a ways.

Until you own a diesel vehicle, you never notice the diesel pumps. The Mobil at University Mall across from GMU sells diesel, along with many other stations in the area. General availability is no problem, but the stations that sell "better" diesel are a little out of the way.

I haven't looked at my intake either, so I couldn't tell you whether 40K or so of "regular" diesel had any ill effect (there's an Amoco with 47 cetane diesel close to me now). It doesn't seem so, but a lot may have to do with driving style, length of trips, etc.

We're extremely happy with our TDI...and if VW would offer it in the new Passat we wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

-Scott

------------------
98 Jetta TDI - 51K (Upsolutely hers)
91 GTI 16v - 219K (original clutch!)
75 Toyota Land Cruiser (compensates for the TDI's mileage)
67 Austin Mini (perpetual project)