3k rpm brick wall

Muskrat619

Veteran Member
TDI
01 mk4 tdi alh
Hello I’m new to the forums. I own a 01 jetta alh Malone stage 4 tune dlc1019 nozzles 11mm pump vnt-17 3in turbo back exhaust. Problem I’m having is at 3k rpm it stops accelerating and starts blowing bluish white smoke. if I hold it there it feels almost like it misfires. This happens in every gear and just yesterday when I was fiddling with it i noticed 5psi less boost and a lot of black smoke like diesel truck showing off how dumb he is amount of black smoke lol but then at 3k rpm it turns bluish white. I have vag-com full version not sure what blocks to log or I would have posted logs

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
How is your oil level? Does the bluish smoke smell like oil or diesel? Sounds to me like there's a massive oil leak that is causing trouble, and 3k rpms is where it triggers. The question is what is it? Is it a turbo seal, valve guides, or what?

PH

Muskrat619

Veteran Member
TDI
01 mk4 tdi alh
It smells like diesel with a hint of oil. Also should have had this in original post but if I push it past 3k the smoke will subside but 0 power

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
When did you last NOT have this issue, and what has changed since then?

Do you get any codes when you scan?

For low-hanging fruit I'd take a look at your MAF. Might be quicker to just unplug and see what changes that results in: performance will be muted, but what you're looking for is whether things smooth out (misfires go away, smoking issues clear up).

It's possible that it's the IP jumping timing around, but if it's readily repeatable then maybe not.

I have concerns about the valves, but that would be a subsequent check (take a look at the MAF first).

Muskrat619

Veteran Member
TDI
01 mk4 tdi alh
About two weeks ago it started was driving normal was half way threw 50mile trip pulling away from a stop light it just randomly hit a brick wall at 3k. No codes other then alternator and glow plugs. just adjusted ip timing because it was retarded. Fresh timing belt 5k miles on it. If I unplug the mag there is 0 difference so I ordered a new one waiting on it to come in. Heard what sounded like a boost leak but under pressure test I found nothing. But ordered new aluminum side mount intercooler and all new aluminum piping just cause I’m tired of plastic and leaky orings.

dandywriter

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon 6M
UhOh asked about codes - any codes? Do a full scan and post the result here.

You adjusted ip timing because it was retarded and this happened. Try adjusting it back where it was and see if that fixes it.

Maybe you got a bad tank of fuel. Check fuel filter or do a preemptive change. Clogged filter? What temp? Possibly gelled a bit?

How hard were you pulling away from the stop light at 3000 rpm with a Stage 4 tune?

Muskrat619

Veteran Member
TDI
01 mk4 tdi alh
I adjusted timing thinking that might have been problem. No codes other then alternator code terminal f. And glow plug circuit. Thought was maybe due to low fuel sucking up crud so I filled it up and replaced fuel filter. Temp is 50 here decent warm. Was casually pulling away from light maybe 1/4 throttle

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Are any of your upgrades recent?

I had a similar problem when I did a bunch of upgrades at the same time but my problem was very unique and seemed to get worse after about a month. It took me about 4 months to figure it out.

Mine would idle and produce a lot of blueish smoke and very stinky. Then under throttle, it would pump out clouds of black. Extra smoke didn't make sense with the greater air flow into the cylinders.

Tons of power but lots of smoke but then...

After a month or so of driving, it developed a bit of a wall and would misfire when I applied more than about a third throttle.

Turned out that I got a set of MK3 chips (AHU) with my upgraded tune and the MK4 cars are very different! Check the ECU number in VCDS to rule this out.

It should look something like this: 038-906-018-BK. The ECU chips I had looked like this: 028-906-021-GG. I noticed this when I compared some old logs to my new VCDS read out. Went to Malone and got some new chips and everything went back to smooth and proper.

Apart from the stumbling, I had the flashing glow plug light which was the ECU reading my brake switches incorrectly. Cruise didn't work either.

Hope you figure it out!

Muskrat619

Veteran Member
TDI
01 mk4 tdi alh
Pn_bn
No all upgrades about 10 months old. Had my ecm flashed instead of chipped. I put stock tune back and it’s doing the same thing good ideas tho thank you. My car wasn’t smoking at all then out of nowhere this happens lol so hoping it’s sonething dumb

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No codes would suggest that this is from an unmonitored item. Alternator issue? Possible that the alternator clutch is locking up (known to really place strains on the engine), but one should be able to note this by a bouncing tensioner (and the engine's RPMs fluctuating?).

Another thing that would (more likely) match could be a fuel restriction.

A lot more sleuthing is necessary when no codes are being triggered :(

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I had a no code MAF failure that did the same thing to my 1999.5, 3000 rpm was a hard stop. That is when I got VagCom now VCDS and logged my MAF and it would match then slowly drop down to idle range.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^^^ I guess this is another good reason why, if one needs to do something while waiting on some other inspiration, one should just disconnect the MAF and see what happens!

Muskrat619

Veteran Member
TDI
01 mk4 tdi alh
New maf new map new intercooler and new piping all came in gonna put them on this weekend but looking at the piping I noticed something was off looked it up and sure enough I bought golf tdi intercooler piping will it still work?

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I found driving around with the MAF unplugged solved this, and produced no real power or mileage loss. I was strongly tempted to just run it that way.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was wrong map did not fix problem I hate this car
We cannot see what you're seeing. You need to do some logging and present the data here. Go to Malone's site and find the instructions there.

Did, however, you have a brief respite from the problem? Seems you did because you thought you'd solved it. That would suggest that with the bits you currently have they are capable of producing correct responses BUT it's inconsistent (more than not failing).

I would be looking to pull fuel from a separate container just to rule out fuel supply issues. But, again, you HAVE to obtain data in order to figure this out.

Muskrat619

Veteran Member
TDI
01 mk4 tdi alh
Ment to write SOLVED just coming back to tie up loose ends thank you guys for all the help it ended up being junk in the fuel tank. Under a load it would suck the crap into the screen and starve it of fuel

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Would not have guessed that, but make sense. I guess we need to open up our tanks every 10 years, have a look.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Happens all the time. Black sludge inside fuel pickup. Get a lift pump and never look back.