No start issue (troubleshooting didnt help)

copakabata

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 01M, 1999.5 Jetta 5 spd, 2000 VW Golf 4dr 5 spd
I also posted this in the TDI 101 forum, but surpisingly did not receive any responses. Hopefully I get some here.

Here is the link for the more detailed version of my situation:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=363578

Quick version of my situation:

Day 1

'99.5 ALH, will not start. Found black 109 relay, verified it was bad, and changed it out with a good gray 109 relay. Cranked, no fire. Bled injectors / fuel lines, after 30 minutes of cranking, bleeding, letting starter cool, I got engine to "cough" twice, and white smoke from the tail pipe.

Day 2

Tried to bleed fuel lines to tank with small electric pump. Pumped for a while, eventually got fuel, but was getting air bubbles throughout. Once I removed suction, fuel sucked back into tank. Tried bleeding return line after IP, got nothing (no air, no fuel). Tried starting car one time, no smoke, no fire.

Day 3

Thought perhaps fuel lines were cracked. So, I installed clear vinyl tubing and funnel to in line of IP, and filled with diesel fuel. Tried bleeding / starting process again. Results were better, every time I tried to start after bleeding, engine "coughed", like it wanted to start, but wouldn't.

Help! Ideas? Please?

TIA

copakabata

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 01M, 1999.5 Jetta 5 spd, 2000 VW Golf 4dr 5 spd
Day 4 update.

Checked mechanical timing. Everything seems ok to me, but I've never done a timing belt before, so I will give some details as to what I found.

Removed valve cover, intake piping, timing belt cover, flywheel inspection window. Turned camshaft pulley to TDC. Installed locking cam plate. Checked flywheel, looked to be centered across from hole (5 speed) as it describes in the timing belt procedure on this website. Maybe 1/16"-1/8" towards the rear of center. Tried to insert IP pin, would not go in. I gently and carefully turned the crankshaft back and forth and wiggled IP pin in. So, thought everything there is good.

I read threads about the 'sucker hole', so I thought I would try to see if I could find it to determine if the pin was inserted into the wrong hole. I removed pump pin and cam lock, and rotated one revolution, but couldn't see the sucker hole (was getting dark). But pin looked like it was inserted in the right hole, across from the tab on the IP. When I put cam lock back in and check crank TDC, the mark was this time was 1/16"-1/8" ahead of the center.

So, more questions (sorry):

Is slight variation in TDC on crank possibly from slight variation in where cam was positioned? Or is this a problem?
Is there anything else to check?
Is the IP probably toast?

Thanks to anyone who responds in advance.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Compression? asv wide open? Turbo intact and not blocking anything? Intake manifold clean and not totally clogged?

I'd probably check the asv is wide open, maybe even leave the boost pipe to intake off to try incase of a blockage, do a compression test to seeing as you got the car not running.

Also try unplugging the coolant temp sensor to switch the glow plugs on for a good heat then see if you can get it started.

audiphile

Vendor
TDI
shop full of swaps
I didn't see if you checked the IP Shutoff valve function. Check for 12v at the shut of valve that's located on the front of the IP, black wire with 8mm nut holding it. It should go on with ignition and stay on for a little while. and definitely at 12v during cranking.

If you're supplying fuel to the IP, does anything at all come out of the output tube? It should. if it doesn't - your pump no workie.

If the pump is definitely sucking diesel when you crank, then you are not bleeding well enough. Crank loose 2 injectors at a time, and bleed the fuel right out of the top of the injectors (careful, splash, spill, fire, etc)