Catalytic converter problem

downcycle

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf
I am thinking about buying a 2000 golf that needs a new cat converter, the seller took $1000 off of the kbb price for the replacement, is that about right? could I save and do it my self, or is it a pretty serious job. If there is anyone in the tristate area that could help me save $$$, I would pay. Thanks.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Sounds very fair to buy at KBB less $1000 considering how HOT the market is right now. Is the cat still in place or has it been removed?

I hope the rest of the car is in decent shape - - if so, you got a very good buy.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is it plugged up? What is the issue/concern?

downcycle

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf
I think the concern is a power reduction, I think he's had it diagnosed but hasn't done the repair. VW quoted the part at $700 plus $300 for labor, but I have found Cats for much cheaper, how difficult is the labor? I have done a lot of work on Jeeps, and some work on my last TDI.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Down, I know that you know the diesel oxidation catalyst is quite different when compared to the unit fitted to a Jeep or other gasser, right?

The task is not difficult. I do NOT recommend replacing it 'til somebody verifies this is the actual problem and not something simply like a failed MAFS.

downcycle

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf
Oh yeah I know its different, I was just wondering if someone with no formal training, just a love of mechanics, could to the task, and I would have a local mechanic check it out before I dropped any money on replacing the part. If you know a good site to buy one from, I would appreciate the tip, and if anyone knows a good mechanic in southern westchester, ny I would appreciate that too. Thanks again DD.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would check with Mrchill. He's here in the Boston area and has them or knows where to get them.

Some folks have successfully cleaned a plugged cat using compressed air and a long wand.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I've never really head of the cats plugging on these cars... well some on the A3s. But intakes plugging, jammed VNTs, and bad MAFs seem to be a lot more common...

-Jason