White smoke out of exhaust and exhaust leak at egr pipe

Sauaciden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 8L 1.9TDI
Hello,

Today I noticed white smoke coming out of exhaust pipe instead of black smoke that used to come out due to egr leak. No coolant loss. Turbo has been replaced 10k km ago. Can it be due to exhaust leak? White smoke is not thick like when injector is leaking. It clears out fast

Last edited:

Sauaciden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 8L 1.9TDI
Oil level is not changed. Injector have been rebuilt and are in range when checking group 13. No driveability issues except boost leak due to egr

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Check your timing and the belt tensioner, your belt may have slipped a tooth on the crank pulley. White smoke can be a sign of retarded timing. Can happen at shut down when the motor kicks backward and the belt is not tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benshaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta bew
without stepping on the toes of the pros,
one of ur cheaper option is try 2stroke in the tank.

Sauaciden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 8L 1.9TDI
Check your timing and the belt tensioner, your belt may have slipped a tooth on the crank pulley. White smoke can be a sign of retarded timing. Can happen at shut down when the motor kicks backward and the belt is not tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Belt has been changed 10k ago. New tensioner and stuff. Yes timing is bit on retarded side due to me messing up pump timing when installing belt. It is still within specifications. Belt is tight.

I am fixing egr leak next week to see if smoke dissapear. I was coming home yesterday and car was back to smoking black so maybe water somewhere?