DPF Regen Scan Tool

rodney

TDI
02 Jetta, 11 Jetta
All,

I had posted this in the OBD section, but not getting responses there.

I could use some advice if you don’t mind.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen. 82k miles. I used to have a long work commute, recently changed to a short commute. Glow plug light is flashing and now in limp mode. I parked it at that point. If I can force a DPF regen, is it likely to work, or is it too late and too plugged?

Equally important, I need advice on a scan tool to use. I do not have a computer or smart phone :) so I need to do everything from the display of the tool. Just looking for the bare minimum to force a regen.

I am not interested in taking it to the dealer for warranty work.

Thanks

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I do not have a Mk6, but for our cars we use VCDS with an old laptop, and VAG DPF app with an android phone to monitor regens on the MK7.

My investment to monitor the DPF was:
Android phone from ebay: $25?
Carista OBD2 adaptor (hardware only) $11 from Amazon
VAG DPF android app: $4

If you buy an all-in-one scan tool, the generic ones will cost $30, and middling ones "designed" for VW will be twice that, or more.

Again, not familiar with what commands are required to initiate a forced regen on a MK6, but (IMO) if you're not going to get VCDS, at least a cheap android phone will work with a variety of apps written for VW/TDI.

I can't speak to the "too late" or "too plugged" because all you have right now is a flashing GP light and no diagnostics.

I understand avoiding the dealer (my 2003 hasn't been to a dealer since....2003), but if it's still covered by the extended emissions warranty, and you end up needing pricey parts, it may be worth it.

HTH

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
If Im not mistaken, due to the Dieselgate settlement, arent your emmisions (new DPF, EGR ETC...) covered for 10 years or something llike 130k? Even if the car hasnt been purchased as a CPO? Unless of course the fix was not done. It may be worth checking.

My 2011 CPO has until 2/21 (10 years from in service date) for 100% emmions coverage, Unless your deleted why wouldnt you want a $2k new DPF job covered?

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
with out knowing why you're in limp / flashing glow plug light mode, forcing a regen may not fix / possibly exacerbate the issue, you really need to pull the codes and get an idea whats wrong. In my experience emission problems give you a check engine, not a limp/ fl gp light. Id be more looking at the high pressure fuel system.