My Jetta TDI 2000 lost Power What Could it be?

Davo23

Veteran Member
TDI
B.M.W - not the car
I figured it could be the turbo cause I dont hear that (zzzz) noise anymore, but I'm not an expert!! Even My fuel consumption went down I cant even do 1100 Km on a tank anymore!! + When I drive on the highway and I put the pedal to the metal, it doesnt kick , it has trouble going up a mountain, but i can go to 120-130lm/hr with ease but cant surpass that limit it just wont go!! And When its cold outside the car runs smoother? Can it be a sensor , Or is it the Turbo?
Help Pls,
Thanks
Davo

SoCalJames

Veteran Member
TDI
I no longer own a TDI
I can almost guarantee you that a failing MAF- Mass AirFlow sensor, is your problem. You can do the "unplug test" to narrow the possibility that this is the problem. Unplug the MAF as shown in the pic while the engine is OFF. Then, drive it normally, prefferably only around town. If you notice a distinct and immediate power increase, then I'll bet you it is your MAF failing. (Unplugging it forces the motor into "limp home mode," which actually isn't bad). Please note that a failing MAF does not necessarily make the "Check Engine Light" go on. If you unplug the MAF and drive it, the "Check Engine Light" will come on once normal operating temperature has been reached. No worries- It will reset itself after 3 ambient to operating temperature cycles and no sooner. (Provided the ECU, (Electronic Control Unit, or Brain, has detected NO fault, and you have re-plugged it in correctly). That means if you RE-plug your MAF and take 5 short trips where the temp never reaches "Operating Temp," the light will not go away.

Try it! It may just be your problem. You don't state the 'mileage' on your car, so I can't say whether or not you are eligable for the VW extended warranty on the MAF- (It's a known problem area). I'm not even sure it's available to Canadian cars. While you're at it- If you're unfamiliar with the issues regarding a plugged "snow screen" and soot build-up in the inlet manifold after the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve (EGR)- Perhaps now is a good time to search on these topics, for they can sometimes produce similar symptoms, but chronically, not accutely.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
i would bet it could be the MAF where in canada are ya i'm sure someone in your area has vag com and they can check your MAF for ya

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Thank you SoCalJames for the photo. I "favorite"-ed it to show in the furture.

SoCalJames

Veteran Member
TDI
I no longer own a TDI
You're most welcome. I need to learn how to make little animations for some basic how-to's.

J

osesu96

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI - Platinum Gray
I know I'm probably asking the obvious, but why do we need the MAF in the 1st place?

I mean, if unplugging it makes the car run as expected, why have it in the 1st place? Emissions?

Something I've always wondered but never got around to asking.

Thanks,
osesu96

SoCalJames

Veteran Member
TDI
I no longer own a TDI
The MAF is absolutely needed for the motor to function as it was designed to. Sadly and usually, based on my personal experience and what I've read here, the MAF fails oh so gradually. So gradually that one doesn't notice that performance,drivability and mileage are suffering greatly. As it turns out, the "limp home" mode feels more sprightly than with the diseased MAF plugged in.

Unplugging it doesn't make it run as it was intented- (It's actually quite gutless up top and in mid-range w/ out the MAF plugged in based on my 3 MAFs.) -It's just that the performance w/ a bad MAF can be so bad, that "limp home" mode w/ it unplugged feels better.

osesu96

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI - Platinum Gray
Ok, that sounds better. I'll cross my fingers and hope my doesn't go bad any time soon.

Thanks for the insight. I knew there had to be some logical reason for VW to put it there. Just a shame they go bad so frequently.

Thanks,
osesu96

SoCalJames

Veteran Member
TDI
I no longer own a TDI
Yeah, every modern fuel injected gas or diesel car has some sort of air metering device. They provide critical information to the engine's computer to determine various optimizations of air/ fuel mixture, timing, etc.. They are very high-tech and fascinating pieces of equipment.

Davo23

Veteran Member
TDI
B.M.W - not the car
Hi, Im From Montreal, Quebec Canada , Can I unplug that sensor even in the winter"?? its like -20 celcius here?
Let me know
Thanks

Davo23

Veteran Member
TDI
B.M.W - not the car
Hi, And thanks I'm going to try that tomorrow, I have 200,000 Km on my car,, I think I'm way over the extended warranty,

Let me know
Thanks
Davo

SoCalJames

Veteran Member
TDI
I no longer own a TDI
If I were you, I'd unplug it, then place a little plastic baggy tightly over the plug (male part) and wrap some plastic wrap around the receiving (female) part of the MAF to prevent salt spray, moisture, etc.. from fouling the contacts. I don't know what the road conditions are in your area, but I'd make sure to drive on dry pavement so you may more accurately ascertain whether or not you have better responsiveness from the motor.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Try going to the Regional Discussions - Quebec forum... lots of guys around here with Vag-Com diagnostic tools... someone will be glad to meet you and look at it... If it's the MAF, the part has recently dropped in price, or you could try mail-order:

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/roseland/

As for the reduced range... it's Winter... the fuel has less "juice" in it...

Good luck,

Yuri.

(I'd offer, but I'm in Toronto, my wife's in Montreal... the Vag-Com cable is with her, but the laptop's here...)

sodapop6620

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000
I unplugged my MAF and could not tell the difference. I had it in the shop for a TB change and the mechanic replaced the MAF and what a difference it made. So, I guess what I am trying to say is that unplugging the MAF may not be a tell tail sign.

SoCalJames

Veteran Member
TDI
I no longer own a TDI
I had it in the shop for a TB change and the mechanic replaced the MAF and what a difference it made
You mean you unplugged the NEW MAF that the mechanic installed and you don't see a difference?

sodapop6620

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000
Rammstein is correct. I had unplugged the old MAF before and did not notice a difference. But, when the new MAF was installed I noticed a BIG difference.