2000 VW Jetta TDI manual swap

ztech7

TDI
Jetta tdi
I have 2000 Jetta TDI with the 01m auto. The trans wont shift into any drive gears so I am looking to manual swap it, the question is can I take a manual transmission from a 1998 jetta tdi and will it work in a 2000 tdi. Thanks.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I have 2000 Jetta TDI with the 01m auto. The trans wont shift into any drive gears so I am looking to manual swap it, the question is can I take a manual transmission from a 1998 jetta tdi and will it work in a 2000 tdi. Thanks.

Yes you can. You'll need to get the center console from the manual Jetta as well, as the opening is slightly narrower for the auto so it won't sit flush.

ztech7

TDI
Jetta tdi
Ok thank you, my only concern would be just getting the car moving not worried really about anything else. We took this entire car apart trying to figure out what was wrong why it wouldn't move. I had the trans out and completely apart and back together and nothing changed... thanks for your response hope I can get it going.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Manual transmission on a '98 Jetta has a different case and mounting points than the manual in the '00. It won't bolt up to the mounts.

ztech7

TDI
Jetta tdi
It's an automatic '00, not manual, don't know if that changes anything. and is there a way around that? drill out some mounts?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You want a 2000+ 02J from an ALH or BEW car.

The 1998-99 is the 02A, and has some different mountings for use in an entirely different platform of car, PLUS it has a totally different shifter and is far, far worse.

1999.5 cars still retain the crappy shifter, if you are going through all the trouble to convert, get the better stuff from a 2000+.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sounds like he's swapping a '98 auto to an '00 that currently has a broken auto. Seems he'll still have a mount problem, as well as other issues.

ztech7

TDI
Jetta tdi
Ok, thanks for the responses guys, I guess I'll just keep looking. So if I find something like a 2002 jetta tdi manual then that will bolt right up and be better? Or what about a 2002 beetle, do those work?

oilhammer

TDI
Sounds like he's swapping a '98 auto to an '00 that currently has a broken auto. Seems he'll still have a mount problem, as well as other issues.

That is not how I read his first post. I read it as he has a 2000 with a dead 01M (shocker) and is asking if a 1998 manual (there were no 1998 Jetta TDIs with automatics sold here) could go in its place for a manual swap. It will not.

New Beetle is mechanically the same as the Golf/Jetta but the shifter inside will be slightly different. However, remember you can get all the pedal/shifter stuff from any 4cyl gas engine too. But the transmission has to come from a TDI specifically, due to gearing differences.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah my bad guys, had a brain fart this morning, was thinking of the 98 bug that had the newer trans with the older style shift tower. Silly how they made the bug for one earlier year.

oilhammer

TDI
The A4 Golf came out in 1998, we just didn't get them here until late 1999. Actually the delay was largely due to New Beetle sales. They had to shuffle some production around, which ultimately ended up with most all our A4 Golfs coming from Brazil and the A4 wagons coming from Germany.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ironic they're discontinuing the NB line now huh?