FTC Warns Owners To Slow Down, VW goofed on some emission fixes

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Poor language - calling them "outlaw" . This affects only the 2012 - 2014 Passats (Gen 2 2.0 L ).

Zawurah

Veteran Member
TDI
Might be a problem for those in states with 80mph speed limits. Especially those in Texas on highway 130 and it's 85mph speed limit.

I'm happy I sold my Passat back.

Last edited:

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
And, it's unclear if you can currently get the modification. I'd seen that it wasn't available due to issues, the key question will it be available before Dec 31 so that I still get paid.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
I may be the only person to elect and not yet get the fix, but if there are others here's the chat I just had:
VW :
==> Thank you for clarifying that. Yes, the repair for these vehicles are on hold so that they can be corrected. There is no specific time frame at this time regarding when they will be made available. I'm sorry.
Me @ 11/6/18 4:59 PM :
==> So, am I correct that the fix needs to be performed by December 31, 2018, in order to qusalify for restitution?
==> And will that deadline be extended if a fix continues to be unavailable?
VW @ 11/6/18 5:01 PM :
==> At this time, we have not received any updated information regarding what will happen if the hold is not lifted by the settlement deadline. However, if the repair is chosen, this will need to be completed in order to receive payment.
Me @ 11/6/18 5:03 PM :
==> So as it stands the repair must be completed by Dec 31, but it is no longer available and no timeframe when it might be?
Arshaia @ 11/6/18 5:03 PM :
==> Yes, that is correct.
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
So my take is that when going over 80 MPH either the emissions hardware can't keep up, or isn't programmed to inject enough Adblue, the (now active) NOx sensor detects this, throws a fault, and the car goes into the 250 mile countdown mode.

-J

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
...and to think, this is a car produced by a company based in a country that has some freeways with no speed limits at all, on a continent where 130 km/h (81 mph, a speed that would cause this issue) is a common speed limit on freeways.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
This is car is not sold there. :cool:

Toyota builds giant pickups that would scare half the populace of Tokyo like Godzilla himself was rolling down the street, too. Again, not sold there.

However, this does make me wonder if this is why my Sprinter has not asked for any more DEF since I filled it when it was new... because it spends much of its time at 80+. :D Cheat away, my giant frugal van, cheat away!

Last edited:

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Ahhh now this makes sense as to why my Passat kept throwing codes and they couldn't fix it. Oh well, I like my Kerma fix better.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Is it illegal if he doesn't get caught?

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Last I heard there is not nor will there be a fix for the 2012-2014 Manual Passats. I could be wrong.