vcds mods

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
Hey, I was trying to cheer you up! Don't be annoyed, these are great little cars!!! Well, that is as long as the HPFP doesn't blow up.
Honestly, I do love m Golf TDI. I also love all OEM upgrades I decided to get in the car. My TDI seems very upscale and truly state of the art. And, everything works the way it should thanks to Pelican18TQA4.
ah, i'm with ya - really happy w/ mine as well... just a little fixated on this tiny stereo quirk!:rolleyes:

perhaps if i decide to upgrade to an aftermarket, i can eliminate this shutoff issue.

wfg97079

Veteran Member
TDI
for the first time in 17 years, none
Window control via keyfob is great for opening. Does anyone know if its possible to enable behavior similar to what the KVW100 device offered for the MKIV? That is, if you had any windows/roof open, when you clicked the lock once, all windows and roof would close and the windows would lock. You wouldn't have to hold the button till closed.

tomc585

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Window control via keyfob is great for opening. Does anyone know if its possible to enable behavior similar to what the KVW100 device offered for the MKIV? That is, if you had any windows/roof open, when you clicked the lock once, all windows and roof would close and the windows would lock. You wouldn't have to hold the button till closed.
That would be nice, auto-up via keyfob

Past_VNE

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS 5-spd, '12 JSW 6M
I've read the thread and didn't figure out a way to disable seat belt chime. Where is this located? I got everything else working, foglights, etc.
How do I know if I have a rain sensor?
Is there a way to guess if my yet-to-come 2012 will have rain sensor? It's manual with pano/wheels, but no nav. :confused:

amycyclenut

TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG
yeah, but if you don't want the song to cut out for 3 seconds, you've gotta leave the engine running until it ends.
even more annoying when you're trying to listen to a radio interview/news story and you don't want to miss something crucial... not very "green" of VW! ;)
+1 on this

Rauss

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI MKVI
I search a bit and it seems that some features are not available or yet not done :

-Cluster Staging for TDI (I Know they do it for Sirroccos)
-Power Steering Assist change
-Fogs with High Beams

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I search a bit and it seems that some features are not available or yet not done :

-Power Steering Assist change
-Fogs with High Beams
I think running fogs with the high beams is available for adjustment, although I have not had it done yet to my car. The last couple of things I want are disabling the corner lights with the fogs and high beams and fogs on together, just so the fog lights are not going on and off outside of my control. Both things appear to be adjustable in the window pictured below. The image is from Vortex, VCDS for beginners.

numl0ck

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI

This is not available for the cluster that comes in the TDI's. There's a long thread over on Vortex about which clusters can support it and which one's cannot.

bgs02

TDI
2011 JSW TDI Manual
does making any vcds modification void your warranty? for example if I add the keyfob open windows feature, is my warranty voided? thanks

RPS99SHO

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
The fog lights with high beams does work. Just had it done.

---
- ~ Roman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RPS99SHO

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Exactly like the picture in #127. I did not look into disabling corner lights as whenever my headlights are on my fogs are on too. So this feature is useless to me whether enabled or disabled.

---
- ~ Roman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^ Thank you for the confirmation. I'm planning to ask my friend for help again, and I just wanted to be sure I knew where to make the changes.

I don't use the fogs too much, mostly because the xenon lights are so bright. I mostly run them like DRLs or parking lights at times when it is nice to add a little extra visibility to my car. I just don't want them going on and off outside of my control.

Thanks again for the confirmation.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
Can I do any of these VCDS mods on my friends 2011 Jetta Tdi? I just got my vag-com and don't wanna mess his car up. Thanks chris

Answered my own question, the beta version of vcds can do it but does not provide long coding help yet.
If you are new at this the best thing to do is once your in a module print the screen before you do any mods so you can always go back to factory coding if things get messed up. I printed all my long coding and kept it in a file and have written down all my mods since my memory isn't as good as it once was! BTW, I got the full hex-can version and the coding helper is better than sliced bread!

Keithuk

TDI
Golf GTD 2.0 (170)
Yes before you change any Long Coding do a screen dump and save the pic or copy and paste the original Long Coding value into a file.

Any coding changes you do are saved to CodingLog.TXT in the Debug folder so you can copy and paste it back from there afterwards if you need too?

djtj

TDI
2012 Golf Highline
Any idea if the "bluetooth media player" can be disabled? I don't have the cable yet, but if this could be done I'm buying it tomorrow

Asmerrill

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Blue Silk Golf TDI SEL
One thing I did along with some of the stuff on here was disable the DRL when the blinker is on, just like the A4s. So when the left blinker is on, the left side DRL turns off and then back on when the blinker turns off.

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
Coming Home

I have just received my VCDS and Micro-CAN from Ross-Tech. I'm in the learning mode and have not tried any mods yet. The interface seems OK although it may depend on which USB port I use. One mod I do want is Coming Home (CH).
I navigated to the Cent. Electrics dialog and saw the 2 CH options. At that point, I don't have the nerve to continue, not just yet. Which code should I make a note of? The one on the first page? Or the one when I get to the Byte No. with the CH check boxes? I did a search but did not come up with the specifics that I'm looking for.

Would someone care to show me the process, step by step?

TDI Stevestr

Veteran Member
TDI
Former 2011 Golf 4 Dr TDI DSG; Looking at the '17 Chevy Colorado
I have just received my VCDS and Micro-CAN from Ross-Tech. I'm in the learning mode and have not tried any mods yet. The interface seems OK although it may depend on which USB port I use. One mod I do want is Coming Home (CH).
I navigated to the Cent. Electrics dialog and saw the 2 CH options. At that point, I don't have the nerve to continue, not just yet. Which code should I make a note of? The one on the first page? Or the one when I get to the Byte No. with the CH check boxes? I did a search but did not come up with the specifics that I'm looking for.

Would someone care to show me the process, step by step?
I would use the one on the 2nd "Long Coding" screen. (Byte numbers with CH check boxes.)

Code is shown as item #1 on the Long Coding screen.

Just to remind: Do not use my coding above. It is for my specific vehicle. Copy your coding before making any changes.

Last edited:

TDI Stevestr

Veteran Member
TDI
Former 2011 Golf 4 Dr TDI DSG; Looking at the '17 Chevy Colorado
This is what I saw for Coming Home but you may want to check the forums to make sure there are not other adjustments you need to make first.

Byte 12, Bit 2

There is also this section:

Byte 17, Bit 5

Last edited:

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
Thanks everyone. I finally went ahead and now have Coming Home with a 30 sec delay, long enough for me to walk to the front door.

QTDI

TDI
SB 2012 Golf TDI
Do the manual transmission cars have the hill start assist?? I know the '09-up DSG TDIs do. It's kind of annoying in the DSG cars, but I would think it'd be a welcome feature in the 6MT cars. My BMW has it and it's a nice feature to have.
Mine's a manual. This is the first manual I've had the feature in, and I didn't realize it had it until I was on a slight incline about to turn from a stop a couple days after I bought the car. I noticed the car didn't roll back and thought it was weird - I knew the slope was enough for me to roll. Happened again later, and I remembered reading about some 'hill assist' feature. One more time, and I was convinced that was it...read up on it to be sure. Getting used to a new car with new transmission, this is very helpful. I really like it - very handy when you've got some jacka$$ tailgater 3" behind you and climbing up your tailpipe on a hill. :rolleyes:

(not so) funny story...I've driven manuals for 22 yrs - my Sentra is 14 yrs old, 243K miles, original clutch lasted 191K miles - I'm super-goody with a clutch. A firestone tech burned up that clutch driving it like it was stolen on the drive around the block after an oil chg - it hobbled along just far enough to roll to a stop in their uphill driveway. They had to push it into the bays to figure it out. Firestone paid for another clutch that came out 30K later cuz it was the cheapest they could get. Same tech fixed it too...forgot the flywheel when he closed up the tranny - said the clutch felt weird & couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start...he looked back at the directions and saw the flywheel shining in his half-closed tool drawer. Needless to say, when I got the next clutch, I avoided that FS like the plague and went to a shop I'd been referred to...great work at a fantastic price (E&T Auto in RR), and great people!

candc8

TDI
golf 4 dr
sorry first post in here i have a 12 golf tdi and was wondering how to program both key fobs to roll windows up and down i only have one remote that does it

DCeramic

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Hey gnatman1102;
You're in Georgia so I don't think this is it but mine does a single ding to let you know the temperature outside is at 37 Fº or lower. You'd see the temperature in MFD blink a few times with that.
2011 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG Pano & lucky.

geodug

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
I just read about a member's problem forgetting to set his emergency brake.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=341011

I have a 6MT as well and I have had more than a few close calls where I parked the car only to leave the transmission in neutral and forgotten to set the emergency brake. I always end up jumping back into the car and saving it before something bad happens.

So, this leads to the logical VCDS question:

Can an alarm be set using VCDS to alert the driver when 4 conditions have been met.

1. engine off,
2. transmission in neutral,
3. emergency brake not set and
4. driver's door opened?

Help save us manual tranny owners from another disaster.