After 4k RPM power dies off, Happens only in 1st gear, AUTO, New MAF.

Pcar993

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 White
I have a stock Jetta 2001 with an 01M Auto. This only happens in 1st gear, the power dies off after 4,000 rpm. I have bought a new MAF and didnt help out. I have also changed the fuel filter. Is this a safety feature so that the tranny will last longer? My buddies stock 2002 Jetta with 01M auto doesnt have this problem. Any ideas? Its not a big deal i guess since it only does it in 1st gear and im thinking it will prolong the life of the 01M.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the intake manifold and intercooler was cleaned very well but did not solve the problem.

EDIT 2: I just noticed that it also does it in 2nd gear but not as much compared to 1st gear.

Last edited:

Pcar993

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 White
Would this be a sign of a clogged up CAT? It pulls really good until 3900 rpm! But after that, it just dies off, only in 1st gear (01M) The tranny shows no sign of struggle and shifts perfect.

Last edited:

HysteriaRunRiot

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI Indigo(FOR SALE!), 2015 Golf TDI SE Black
Do you mean the throttle cuts out, or you feel like you've lost power?

cause most TDIs in stock configuration don't produce much, and have lower performance after 4,000rpms

i'm a bit of a noob, others, don't hesitate to correct me, but i'm pretty sure this is the case

Pcar993

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 White
HysteriaRunRiot said:
Do you mean the throttle cuts out, or you feel like you've lost power?

cause most TDIs in stock configuration don't produce much, and have lower performance after 4,000rpms

i'm a bit of a noob, others, don't hesitate to correct me, but i'm pretty sure this is the case
It loses power. after 4k rpm. I test drove my buddies car which is exactly the same (even the color of the car) and his pulled till 4,300rpm with no problems.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Have you checked the n75 valve / m18 valve and or vacuum lines for blockages or leaks............isn't the something that you can do to the auto trans to make it rev out more?

Pcar993

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 White
mojogoes said:
Have you checked the n75 valve / m18 valve and or vacuum lines for blockages or leaks............isn't the something that you can do to the auto trans to make it rev out more?
I'll check the N75... The car's engine noise dies out after 3800rpm Its pulling strong at low rpms but at high, forget it! Any help?

Evgeniy K.

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 TDi AHF AT 3DR 2000.
Cat on exhaust or snowscreen on intake.
Also see a bubbles in fuel line after fuel filter.

mine pulls till 5100 at 2 and 3 gear, then a Pump RPM limiter doing it's work....
Do you have a problem at Idle? Is it revs slightly to 5100 when you push go pedal slightly?

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Guys, he's said he's already purchased and fitted the new MAFS.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
I'd also check your injection quantity. I'd bet your friend's is set for more fuel.

Pcar993

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 White
oldpoopie said:
I'd also check your injection quantity. I'd bet your friend's is set for more fuel.
This is something im not sure how to do, or what to look for. This might be a stupid question but what should a stock injection quantity be at? Or does it vary with every engine?

Only thing i have not checked is the CAT... I guess i can cut it out and put astraight pipe for now and see if that helps. IF it doesnt, i'll put the cat back on.

JERMS

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI auto *sold*, 2012 Jetta SE 5spd w/convenience&sunroof
I have the same problem with mine, although slightly different. Mine drops power at 3k rpms, only in 2nd gear. 1st gear pulls hard all the way thru, then shifts to second, falls on its face at 3k rpms, then picks up again 2 seconds later. Very strange. I've just learned to live with it till I'm better equipped to diagnose it.

Pcar993

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 White
I just disconnected my MAF and dove around. Obviously the car got gutless/lack of power but it pulled steadily passed 4k rpms to slightly shy of redline. It did not fall on its face like it does when i have the MAF connected, although it has alot more power with the MAF below 4k rpms. So it pretty much feels like its not getting enough fuel at higher rpms in 1st gear.
I just noticed that it also does it in 2nd gear but not as much compared to 1st gear.

Last edited:

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
Pcar993 said:
I just disconnected my MAF and dove around. Obviously the car got gutless/lack of power but it pulled steadily passed 4k rpms to slightly shy of redline. It did not fall on its face like it does when i have the MAF connected, although it has alot more power with the MAF below 4k rpms. So it pretty much feels like its not getting enough fuel at higher rpms in 1st gear.
I just noticed that it also does it in 2nd gear but not as much compared to 1st gear.
Injection Quantity... You need vagcom or vcds to adjust
I used to have the same problem but the evry mod fixed it without upping the IQ

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
This sounds like the same or similar problem that I'm dealing with. You might want to read through the thread that I started and am currently updating. When you first start reading the thread it might not seem like the same problem, but as you work through the thread it might become apparent that our problems are similar.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=278512

Last edited:

Pcar993

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 White
rocketeer928 said:
This sounds like the same or similar problem that I'm dealing with. You might want to read through the thread that I started and am currently updating. When you first start reading the thread it might not seem like the same problem, but as you work through the thread it might become apparent that our problems are similar.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=278512

Interesting. Im going to change my fuel injectors on monday to 5spd manual nozzles. Im thinking that my stock injectors might be clogged. We'll see if that helps.

toadz1

banned
TDI
A4
Pcar993 said:
Interesting. Im going to change my fuel injectors on monday to 5spd manual nozzles. Im thinking that my stock injectors might be clogged. We'll see if that helps.
Fess up Shawn, you know your car was converted to run on grease by the previous owner, and you've converted it back to run on ULSD. Your nozzles, injectors, and Injector Pump have probably been compromised. Pull the head, pull the crappola/gunk off of the exhaust valve stems, cylinder head and clean your rings, run a poopload full of Diesel Purge, and you might get it back to normal.

Pcar993

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 White
toadz1 said:
Fess up Shawn, you know your car was converted to run on grease by the previous owner, and you've converted it back to run on ULSD. Your nozzles, injectors, and Injector Pump have probably been compromised. Pull the head, pull the crappola/gunk off of the exhaust valve stems, cylinder head and clean your rings, run a poopload full of Diesel Purge, and you might get it back to normal.
Randy, Remember we drove it and you said it was faster than your car? And then you mentioned that the shifting problem (that im talking about in this thread) is most likely a built in safety feature for the 01M that you thought? Ive checked the head/valves, its very clean. The IP is new from the dealer. Has about 6k miles that the previous owner changed. It gets 42mpg, not bad for an auto.
The previous poster talked about IQ, i think it has something to do with that.
BTW, did you replace all those missing parts on your car? And why arent you using your original screen name Audi5000TDI?

Last edited:

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
Pcar993 said:
Randy, Remember we drove it and you said it was faster than your car? And then you mentioned that the shifting problem (that im talking about in this thread) is most likely a built in safety feature for the 01M that you thought? Ive checked the head/valves, its very clean. The IP is new from the dealer. Has about 6k miles that the previous owner changed. It gets 42mpg, not bad for an auto.
The previous poster talked about IQ, i think it has something to do with that.
BTW, did you replace all those missing parts on your car? And why arent you using your original screen name Audi5000TDI?
If toadz1 is really Audi5000TDI, shouldn't BannHammer lock this thread???

Shawn, didn't you tell me that you were thinking of trying a tank of bio-diesel in the near future? Everyone who's read AUDI5000TDI's old threads knows that bio-diesel will ruin your engine AND give you 4 flat tires. What are you thinking???

When I come over later with VAG-COM, I'll bring some pre-need tire sealant for you, too . . .

Last edited: