Looking for a dual needle boost gauge, max. 40 PSI

Mark@MaloneTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
I'm looking for a dual needle boost gauge like this one from a semi truck with 2 air tanks:

Does anyone know where I can find a gauge with a lower (e.g. 40 PSI) max. pressure? Any unit of measurement is fine, i.e. bar. Someone found this as the closest match, but I prefer needle gauges:

durallymax

Veteran Member
TDI
A6 TDI & Cup Edition
Youy wont find any that low for a semi truck.

The emergency brakes dont relese till 20-50psi, and the alarm doesnt go off until 60psi. Legal operating pressure is 120psi.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Never seen a double needle gauge like that. Sometimes you get some where one dial does a sweep of the top and another does a sweep of the bottom - A bit like:-

Racetech dual oil pressure and temp.

I personally am a fan of this simple boost gauge, and it does me fine.

durallymax

Veteran Member
TDI
A6 TDI & Cup Edition
devonutopia said:
Never seen a double needle gauge like that.
All cheap semi trucks have them. More expensive/more decked out trucks have seperate gauges.

What do you need to two different readings for?? Boost and Drive pressure? Or Turbo Boost vs Manifold absolute pressure?

VwPodRacer

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD150, 98 Jetta TDI
Trucks and buses only use dual needle gauges for air psi. The legal operating pressures are between 90-120 if it drops below 90psi it will activate the alarm. Most high end tractors come with seperate gauges. One for the primary tank and one for the secondary tank. Some even have an application psi gauge.

I'm guessing that Mark is looking for one of these gauges for tuning reasons. To measure boost and EMP on one gauge;)

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Having never driven a truck or bus, I wouldn't have ever come across one before. :D

Separate gauges are where IT is at. More gauges on display means you're car is a lot more powerful..... [whistles....]

lekolite

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL
I've seen a lower rated dual on a Mitsubishi box truck that had air assist brakes. This truck is at work right now but its part of the instrument panel, not an add on gauge. truck is at least 20 yrs old.

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
98 A3 TDI 5spd, 86 w/TDI 02A in prog.
I have been thinking of doing the same thing for EMP and Boost. Obviously trucks go up to 120psi but that would be the style of gauge needed. I'd like 50 or 60. In case i ever get crazy!:D

Mark@MaloneTuning

TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
oldpoopie said:
Thanks Justin!!

VwPodRacer said:
I'm guessing that Mark is looking for one of these gauges for tuning reasons. To measure boost and EMP on one gauge;)
Bingo. I would prefer to view the boost + EMP relation on one gauge rather than 2 separate gauges. Another reason is that I don't have a lot of room for additional gauges.

I will also pick up a turbo speed gauge. There are a bunch of mountains around here so it'll be interesting to see the boost pressure vs. turbo speed relation in different elevations. The head will be ported as well, which may affect said pressure/speed relation. The gauge will allow me to find the optimal boost (concerning reliability and performance) in different engine configurations and for a future turbo kit.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Westach makes a dual boost/boost gauge, reads vacuum too, however. 30" to 30 psi, p/n 2DC3-161SS in 2", 3C86T7 in 3" that seems to be almost half the price. www.westach.com, under their dual gauges section (site is Flash so I can't so you the exact link).

Aircraftspuce now has a full site in Canada and is a dealer for Westach, as you likely know. ;)

Mark@MaloneTuning

TDI
Hey, thanks. I had a Westach boost + EGT gauge and it's good quality. 2DC2-96SS might be better than 2DC3-161SS as it has no vacuum and it has EGT. Wish they had a photo. I'm not sure about 2 needles swinging opposite to each other though... for comparing boost+EMP I'd prefer 2 needles in the same orientation like that Greddy gauge above.

Cheers,
Mark

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Aha! I've been told due to pulsing the EMP setups make a lot of noise, so I only have one for temporary use when setting up the tuning, then I'll be disconnecting it once all is sorted and capping off the manifold with a bolt.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Malone Tuning said:
Hey, thanks.
No prob Mark... thanks for your quick email re: your tunes.

Malone Tuning said:
I'm not sure about 2 needles swinging opposite to each other though... for comparing boost+EMP I'd prefer 2 needles in the same orientation like that Greddy gauge above.
Yup, you know the quality's gonna be there, but for figuring out the pressure deltas two needles that swing the same way is probably easier... if you can but find it for less than an arm and leg. Will keep my eyes peeled... I'm a bit of a gauge freak myself.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I really like the idea of both needles in the same gauge.

I've got two different setups - one is a full on data logging setup with pressure sensors synchronized with VagLog data. Great for tuning, but a bit of a hassle for regular use.

I drive around with a 0-30 psi boost gauge and a 0-60 psi exhaust pressure gauge. Once you get used to it, it's pretty easy to read and you get a feel for where the individual needles are, but having both on the same scale would be really cool - particularly if you're moving it from car/car for tuning.

The GReddy one is pretty cool, but could do without the vacuum side and it's quite big for permenant mounting and $340 is quite pricey as well.

I'll keep my eye out for anything else.

ForestTDI

TDI
Golf IV Variant ASZ | Touran BKD | Passat B5.5 AVF 4MOTION
Does anybody knows part number of this gauge? I cant get any info about that (maybe not searching effectively).

Thanks in advice.