2009 Jetta Clean Diesel w DPF = Regen?

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
Is the new Jetta going to utilize the same process by which the DPF is self cleaned as is the case on other DPF equipped vehicles?

That being additional fuel dumped through the engine to burn the crud outta the DPF?

New GM and Ford owners are seeing losses in mileage due to this.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Yes. All DPF's on OEM installations have provision for active regen.

The poorer fuel consumption on the new Duramax and Powerstroke may have to do with other factors also. The pickup truck diesels have been in the midst of a horsepower race.

I don't think the pickup truck diesels are using a de-NOx catalyst. They may be relying on high EGR and retarded injection timing.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
How's the fuel consumption of the 2007+ Ram compare to the 2006 and earlier models? I know the engine went from 5.9 litres to 6.7 litres at the same time. (See above comment re the pickup truck horsepower race.)

I've heard the poor fuel consumption complaints mostly about the Ford/Navistar 6.4 litre Powerstroke. That truck went through a body style change at the same time, and looking at the current and previous models, I'm thinking it probably gained weight and has lousier aerodynamics.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel

Freebore

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I bought a new 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 with a 6.7 with the 6 speed auto, 4x4 & 3.73 rear axle in Sept 07.

I have recorded every drop of fuel since new and today it just turned over to 25,000 miles. I planned to get this truck for over 6 years and for a truck of it's size it is fun to drive with more power than I ever expected. Overall it is a very well behaved truck and very smooth compared to earlier trucks.

The aftertreatment system is the worst part of the truck. Dodge has replaced the complete system once - all parts including the DPF, Nox filter, turbo, complete EGR system and sensors in the system. Best mileage ever on a long highway trip running 60-65 was 19.3 mpg - the 5.9 models have done 23-24 mpg on the highway. Average mileage since new is 16 mpg with some days 17-17.5 mpg. During regen, the mileage drops to around 15 mpg, when not regenning it gets 22-23. The regen is the problem. Mine is 100% stock with no aftermarket mods, but some have installed removal kits and their economy jumps immediately by anywhere from 3-8 mpg.

Looking back, I should have got the 5.9 engine as it was a transition year in 07 and those built in 06 were all 5.9 engines. Although I like driving the truck, the constant updates and fixes have soured me on keeping it and I'm probably going to go back in time for a pre-07 emissions diesel. A Jetta TDI fits the bill for a commuter but I also have the need for hauling so not clear how this will turn out.