deleted EGR affecting performance

GuyGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Comfortline DSG
Ok let me try and explain this properly, I deleted the EGR cooler and capped off the EGR piping coming from the exhaust manifold and the bottom of the EGR.

put in my new airbox(long story) and a fresh MAF.

POWER IS FREAKIN RIDICULOUS WITH SOME WHEEL SPIN JUST ROLLING ON THE THROTTLE IN 2ND GEAR.

that being said, after some spirited driving, power is down quite a bit, boost climbs very slowly to the desired 18 psi but it seems that all the torque is gone.

no cell light but after plugging in vag-com i get the EGR error (somethign like egr exceeding or something like that).

so i clear the code and go back out WOOHOO tons O POWA but again only for a few minutes and the power goes away, i though it was heat soaking so i drive at 2000 rpms for a few minutes to cool things down but it's the same.

does the computer cut things down when this egr error comes up?

is there a way around it?

thanks

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
I've had that code from having the vac line to the EGR valve unhooked and plugged, but never noticed power loss to go along with it.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Deleting the EGR does not change any of the fuel/air management parmeters, so no. Something else must be causing the "limp" mode, or reduced power. Turbo actuater problem, or the vacuum going to it?

--Nate

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Certainly not related to your deleted EGR Guy. You must be getting some type of limp mode. What is your boost set at?

GuyGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Comfortline DSG
unitronic set my boost for 18, when i give-er i get spiking to 20ish then drops to about 18.5 and holds it there until i lift. car runs great but for only a couple of minutes.

car is in pieces right now cause i just put in the vnt17 and i'm redoing the veggy set-up so it'll be a little while before i get to run and check it again.